Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What English foods have you introduced?

What English foods have you introduced?

Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default What English foods have you introduced?

I was just wondering what English delights you have introduced to your US family/friends. Here are some of the things my husband had never tried but now really likes.

Yorkshire puddings
Shepards pie
Trifle
Bassets licorice allsorts
Lions Midget gems
Applewood/Cheshire cheese
Fruit cake (christmas cake)

I am waiting of my christmas pudding (with the white sauce too of course) being sent from back home for him to try next. His family also really liked strawberry Trifle too... I made one for the whole family last thanksgiving got asked to make another one for christmas and have just been asked to make another for this thanksgiving get together.

Ash
Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Yorkshire pudding, proper roast potatos and Flakes.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:34 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What English foods have you introduced?

We went to watch the rugby sf last night and the host made steak and kidney pie, mash and carrot and swede (mashed together). Honestly I thought I'd died and gone to Devon!

I introduced my neighbors to English Mustard the other day, it got a mixed reaction.

Patrick
Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:37 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Yorkshire pudding, proper roast potatos and Flakes.
Whats the best way to cook roast potatoes on their own?

Cause MIL is cooking the turkey so I can't place the pot's around it, and I cannot find any lard?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Yosser

You could try making roast potatoes this way

Peel your potatoes, partially boil them let them drain then put some cooking oil in a oven dish baste the potatoes and bung them in the oven... keep basting/turning through out until they are golden brown.

Ash
Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:53 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Introduced our friends to roast beef, yorkshire pud, roast lamb, and last year made a christmas pudding for them to try. Everything went done well except for the christmas pud which wasn't liked by our female friend. Found out later she was pregnant, so I'll put it down to the morning sickness!

I think I saw lard for sale in our Walmart Supercenter recently. Don'y use it myself, just make do using veg oil.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

If you bash the potatoes about a bit in the pan after you drain them the surface gets all rough and makes them nice and crunchy. Yummy.

I'll be introducing the local elementary school to trifle in the morning.

My daughters teacher has been converted to British choccy, she actually pinched a snack size mars bar from her lunch bag!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:14 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ladies for the info...

I should of paid more attention to mother when she was cooking all I remember her doing is placing each pot around the meat, adding a little lard then using all the juices etc to pour over each pot, Oooh yeah crunchy roast potatoes there aint nothing finer

is there a particular brand of cooking oil that works best?
I thought that Grisco was the same as lard but its got a picture of a cherry pie on the front? buggerd if I know!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Yosser

You could try making roast potatoes this way

Peel your potatoes, partially boil them let them drain then put some cooking oil in a oven dish baste the potatoes and bung them in the oven... keep basting/turning through out until they are golden brown.

Ash
Scrape them gently with a fork first, tha'll make them extra crispy, honestly
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Yosser
Thanks ladies for the info...

I should of paid more attention to mother when she was cooking all I remember her doing is placing each pot around the meat, adding a little lard then using all the juices etc to pour over each pot, Oooh yeah crunchy roast potatoes there aint nothing finer

is there a particular brand of cooking oil that works best?
I thought that Grisco was the same as lard but its got a picture of a cherry pie on the front? buggerd if I know!
I have always used vegetable oil... even in the UK when lard was available. I don't think the brand really matters.

Oh forgot to add... they will also be crisper if you heat the oil before you put the potatoes in... if you do it this way be sure to drain the water completely

Ash

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Nov 20th 2003 at 7:29 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

As we're both Brits; it's the friends we have introduced to English foods the most. They love real Mint sauce, chocolate homewheat biscuits, decent gravy, and Yorkshire Pudding to name a few.

Once invited this American couple over for dinner, saying we were going to have Yorkshire pudding...so they ate their main meal before coming to ours! Jeez! So much food went to watse that evening, as I had made two desserts after the main course!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Poshpaws
As we're both Brits; it's the friends we have introduced to English foods the most. They love real Mint sauce, chocolate homewheat biscuits, decent gravy, and Yorkshire Pudding to name a few.

Once invited this American couple over for dinner, saying we were going to have Yorkshire pudding...so they ate their main meal before coming to ours! Jeez! So much food went to watse that evening, as I had made two desserts after the main course!
LOL

That reminds me of my husbands first visit to the UK when he first tried yorkshire pudding... he put it to one side on the plate thinking it was 'sweet'. Now he eats them with anything including soup.

Ash
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Sausage toad in the hole
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:39 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

Bisto best gravy granules, a lot better than that liquidsed Turkey gizzard and neck they serve
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Sausage toad in the hole
I cook a lot of curryand people love it, I have big curry parties and everyone drink a lot of beer and eats a lot of curry.
I also am making roast potatos sometimes too and they go down well. I bought tonnes of good tea over too and my wife no drinks no coffee at all and I have to make a pot when all her friends come round. I tried everyone on Marmite but they all hate it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.