Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd known/asked before crossing the Atlantic

What do you wish you'd known/asked before crossing the Atlantic

Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you'd known/asked before crossing the Atlantic

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, I like their T-shirts. I can stock up for $6 a pop when they are sale priced at the start of the summer and they wear well and hold their shape and color. In fact last year's were in such good condition that I didn't need to buy any more this year.
They lasted for a second year? Woo hoo! What a bargain! ...... I have bought polo shirts from Lands' End that, after been down graded several times, finally stopped being wearable for dirty yard work, bonfires, and painting after 15 years or more, and were good for informal dining and entertaining for at least the first three years. Sure they cost rather more than clothing from Walmart and Old Navy, but they last so much longer. Lands' End shirts also come in long fittings, which given that the bare midriff look for middle aged men isn't really "in" at the moment, is important for me too.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They lasted for a second year? Woo hoo! What a bargain! ...... I have bought polo shirts from Lands' End that, after been down graded several times, finally stopped being wearable for dirty yard work, bonfires, and painting after 15 years or more, and were good for informal dining and entertaining for at least the first three years. Sure they cost rather more than clothing from Walmart and Old Navy, but they last so much longer. Lands' End shirts also come in long fittings, which given that the bare midriff look for middle aged men isn't really "in" at the moment, is important for me too.
I bet Nutmegger isn't interested in finding tee shirts that last 15 years. Or even 5, for that matter

As for "informal dining and entertaining".....we'll, best she speak for herself
Old Aug 31st 2014, 4:50 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Ha. The Tommy Hilfiger white dress shirt I bought for my wedding 10 years ago is now thread bear at the collar, and imminent to be binned, after being worn approx one day every 2 weeks.

My SIL gave me about 20 polo shirts around that time, and 5 or 6 of them I still wear to work. The rest are still good for yard work etc. (so I've never actually bought one)
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:17 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I find that, no matter where I buy l polo shirts, the collars and cuffs wear out / lose shape long before the body of the shirt. I am thinking it may be something I am doing wrong in the care process, and just wondered if any of you longevity experts would have a view on whether I would be better off washing them in a top loader or a front loader..........
Old Aug 31st 2014, 2:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Every woman wants to wear the same clothes for 15 years! What I meant was that they were still pop-under-a-suit-for-a-business-meeting smart after a year and not downgraded to check-out-the-yard-sales weekend use -- I still have every Target T I've ever bought in use for gardening duty, just as you have with your ridiculously expensive ones.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 8:33 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I find that, no matter where I buy l polo shirts, the collars and cuffs wear out / lose shape long before the body of the shirt. I am thinking it may be something I am doing wrong in the care process, and just wondered if any of you longevity experts would have a view on whether I would be better off washing them in a top loader or a front loader..........
Does the question even need to be asked??

Always buy a front loader. Get a Miele if you can stretch to it. I would recommend Siemens next, but they don't appear to sell washing machines here. I guess Samsung and Whirlpool will be ok, but i think the extra for a German brand is well worth it.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Does the question even need to be asked??

Always buy a front loader. Get a Miele if you can stretch to it. I would recommend Siemens next, but they don't appear to sell washing machines here. I guess Samsung and Whirlpool will be ok, but i think the extra for a German brand is well worth it.
I had it replace my 12 year old Bosch last week. Mildly irritated having to make a white goods purchase 4 months before moving! Would have gone for a Miele if we weren't moving. Good to know that you can get front loaders in the US.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 9:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
I had it replace my 12 year old Bosch last week. Mildly irritated having to make a white goods purchase 4 months before moving! Would have gone for a Miele if we weren't moving. Good to know that you can get front loaders in the US.
As much as it pains me to say it, but at least you can buy something very cheap in England to tide you over. Here in the US, something crap from LG is going to cost you what a Miele would in John Lewis!
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it's regional. Some of the Target's around us are much better than the ones we've seen in other states.

Wouldn't get electronics or anything major there, but they're rather good for the consumables, especially kids stuff.

Plus they have people working the tills...and the photobooth stuff is usually pretty decent.
It definitely is regional.

I am very fussy about what I buy and very price conscious. I also have 2 kids and a full time job and I don't have anywhere else where I can buy a pair of jeans for my son, bottle of wine, fruit, school supplies and toiletries in one place ( besides Walmart ... The zoo). I find their prices competitive and the experience less torturous for a one stop shop.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:24 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure I will ever be old enough for polo shirts.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I am not sure I will ever be old enough for polo shirts.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Sep 1st 2014 at 10:34 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I love Lands End - not the cheapest but great quality and they last a long time. You can usually find special sales throughout the year. My kids usually give me Lands End gift cards for birthdays/Christmas. Great clothing for both men and women.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 12:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

This Land's End different from the stuff you find in Sears then? Because I've found that stuff to be pretty shite and not worth the money...plus it's very grandfatherly, not to the extent of Brooks Brothers, mind. Though the coats seem half decent.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 2:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
This Land's End different from the stuff you find in Sears then? Because I've found that stuff to be pretty shite and not worth the money...plus it's very grandfatherly, not to the extent of Brooks Brothers, mind. Though the coats seem half decent.
I have never bought clothes (LE or otherwise) in Sears, but from what I heard, the range of clothes that was sold in Sears was very limited. Certainly some of their clothing is "odd", I think the term used in the US is "preppy".

Mostly what I buy from LE is office shirts, because they make extra long fittings that don't cost an arm and a leg, casual shirts and polo shirts for the same reason (to he who said he didn't think he would ever be old enough for a polo shirt, I don't like round-neck T shirts because I think my neck is too long to go without a collar). They also do long fitting trousers and suits that are reasonably priced. If I needed a suit every day I'd have one tailor-made, but their off the peg suits are good quality and fit me.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 2:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So they must have a separate line from the stuff they have in Sears. That said, they don't have any of their own stores around here, it's either online or in Sears.

I'm not to keen on clothes online, nor going into Sears generally.

Nothing wrong with polo shirts....though people who pop the collar, well they should be shot in the face.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.