British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What do you wish you'd known/asked before crossing the Atlantic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-do-you-wish-youd-known-asked-before-crossing-atlantic-841784/)

Pulaski Aug 30th 2014 6:27 pm

Re: What do you wish you'd known/asked before crossing the Atlantic

Originally Posted by Bnet36 (Post 11386622)
..... Find your nearest Target. Wonderful one stop shop. .....

Target is at best an acquired taste. Much of what they sell is overpriced, and just about everything they sell is available more cheaply, or with more choice, elsewhere. Mrs P shops at Target very rarely and only as pretty much a last resort. I don't recall ever buying anything at Target. :unsure:

hungryhorace Aug 30th 2014 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11387308)
Target is at best an acquired taste. Much of what they sell is overpriced, and just about everything they sell is available more cheaply, or with more choice, elsewhere. Mrs P shops at Target very rarely and only as pretty much a last resort. I don't recall ever buying anything at Target. :unsure:

The only thing I buy at Target is their large Toblerone (which I can't find anywhere else). Target is in the same category as Walmart for me: full of poor people.

Pulaski Aug 30th 2014 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11387317)
..... Target is in the same category as Walmart for me: full of poor people.

Perhaps shoppers in Target are even poorer than those in Walmart, because the prices in Target are higher. :lol:

Nutmegger Aug 30th 2014 7:09 pm

Target is at best an acquired taste. Much of what they sell is overpriced, and just about everything they sell is available more cheaply, or with more choice, elsewhere.

Actually, I like their T-shirts. I can stock up for $6 a pop when they are sale priced at the start of the summer and they wear well and hold their shape and color. In fact last year's were in such good condition that I didn't need to buy any more this year.

MMcD Aug 30th 2014 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11387317)
Target is in the same category as Walmart for me: full of poor people.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11387348)
Actually, I like their T-shirts. I can stock up for $6 a pop

Poor you.

aka: utterly contemptible

If you were in Calcutta rather than Connecticut you might even be classified as an "Untouchable"

Nutmegger Aug 30th 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11387427)
If you were in Calcutta rather than Connecticut you might even be classified as an "Untouchable"

I line up outside clutching my begging bowl with the other indigents! ;)

hungryhorace Aug 30th 2014 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11387427)
Poor you.

aka: utterly contemptible

Maybe when I have kids and need to buy them cheap disposable stuff I may feel different (actually, no, I know I won't). You just need to look at the sort of people that populate Target (and Walmart) to tell you everything about the place.

Nutmegger Aug 30th 2014 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11387440)
Maybe when I have kids and need to buy them cheap disposable stuff I may feel different (actually, no, I know I won't). You just need to look at the sort of people that populate Target (and Walmart) to tell you everything about the place.

But you admit that you go there -- so you are one of the "sort of people" who populate Target. Perhaps if I saw you there, I might have to change my mind about the place . . . .:sneaky:

Sally Redux Aug 30th 2014 9:43 pm

Primark :blink:

MMcD Aug 30th 2014 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11387436)
I line up outside clutching my begging bowl with the other indigents! ;)

There you are Nutmegger....
Hiding behind the Target hoodie jacket and a crappy $6 Target tee

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/marqu154/arc...ss-america.jpg

OTOH:

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/26252704/large.jpg

Nutmegger Aug 30th 2014 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11387459)
There you are Nutmegger....
Hiding behind the Target hoodie jacket and a crappy $6 Target tee

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/marqu154/arc...ss-america.jpg

OTOH:

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/26252704/large.jpg

Glad I hadn't taken a sip of anything before I saw that, or I'd have executed the classic spit-take! :p

hungryhorace Aug 30th 2014 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11387449)
But you admit that you go there -- so you are one of the "sort of people" who populate Target. Perhaps if I saw you there, I might have to change my mind about the place . . . .:sneaky:

See my post above - Toblerone! </Partridge>

hoffage123 Aug 30th 2014 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11387484)
See my post above - Toblerone! </Partridge>

Ah - everyone knows that Toblerone is the chocolate of choice for pretend-posh people. :p

*Munches After-Eights*

Wot. :thumbup:

Bob Aug 30th 2014 11:02 pm

I think it's regional. Some of the Target's around us are much better than the ones we've seen in other states.

Wouldn't get electronics or anything major there, but they're rather good for the consumables, especially kids stuff.

Plus they have people working the tills...and the photobooth stuff is usually pretty decent.

Tediously Aug 31st 2014 12:24 am

I didn't find anything wrong with Target, the place was clean, average prices and there were attractive mothers strolling round :thumbsup: :lol: