Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you HADN'T brought back?

Wikiposts

What do you wish you HADN'T brought back?

Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:44 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you wish you HADN'T brought back?

Well, I guess it makes sense to ask this, too. What did you bring back to the UK and then wish you hadn't - because it cost too much to ship back, wouldn't work in the UK, was too big to put in a UK house, etc.?

For me, it was the 5 "carpets" (big rugs, not fitted) I had in each of my rooms. Although my house wasn't big by US standards, every one of my rooms except one is too small for the rugs to fit (plus, they all have carpet except one, so the doors wouldn't close anyway if I did put them down). Right now, they're hogging the attic while I figure out what to do with them.

Also, as I don't have an eat-in kitchen ot any kind of dining space, my North Carolina solid wood kitchen table is in the shed. Anyone in the Glasgow area want it? 4 chairs come free with it ..... ?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you HADN'T brought back?

Just the childs battery operated mini motorbike which only cost £16 from Target anyway...We forgot to buy an OZ-UK adapter to charge it up, and it is so cheap and flimsy it probably won't work anyway! Had to bring it back though as Christmas gift.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:04 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread idea. We are in the process of eliminating furniture and stuff and need all the help we can get.

The table and chairs have been reassigned to the shipping though because they are antique and beautiful. After our experience of purging furniture moving from the outback to Brisbane we don't want to lose nice furniture to people who don't appreciate it again. We would rather it sit in a shed or our parents' house in the UK rather than undersell it to some skanky, patronising, second rate, hicksville, secondhand dealer who has no idea about the value of antiques, like we had to before.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

We are back in a few weeks but I KNOW we wont ever have a house big enough for the three suites we are bringing back !!!! and ones a massive sectional aswell,but we'd rather store it than give it away,cost a fortune as we thought we were here for life.
oh well.Shame uk houses dont have basements.
we'll have a very posh seating area in the garage !!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
We would rather it sit in a shed or our parents' house in the UK rather than undersell it to some skanky, patronising, second rate, hicksville, secondhand dealer who has no idea about the value of antiques, like we had to before.
you dont like the dealers then?????
Old Jun 10th 2007, 12:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose
you dont like the dealers then?????
Don't get me strated on garage-salers: it never fails to amaze me how some of them will try to knowck you down on prce regardless. It almost seems to be a badge of honour/pride thing.

At my first garage sale in TN, I had one woman trying to get into my garden (past the yellow tape!) around 6 a.m., and she was looking through my stuff. I told her I would be open at 8 exactly, and she could buy whatever she wanted then. Well, come 8:00 a.m. she wasn't there. However, at 8:15 she arrived, giving me a right ticking off for selling stuff she wanted! Some people ...
Old Jun 10th 2007, 12:41 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

You could try selling some of it on ebay. I got some really good prices for stuff ont here a couple of years ago.

Does anyone know if it will be ok to take the fridge freezer and front loader washing machine back as long as we get plug adaptors for them?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:28 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Definately regret bringing back my big top loader washer as it just won't fit into the kitchen so we had to go out and buy a new one. Top loader is in the outhouse gathering dust.

Not sure yet about the huge side by side fridge freezer - we've just managed to squeeze it in but it does rather dominate our current kitchen. Dont think I'd swap it though cos it fits loads of beer and wine which is the most important thing
Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

bought back an Indonisian wood table - didnt seem excessively big in Oz - but is MASSIVE! Now in the garage as I have a certain nostalgia about it and dont want to try to sell in the paper yet. But, Id need to own a HUGE farmhouse to house it - and that aint gonna happen!
The sideboard and bed too big too. In fact all furniture to big and doesnt suit the age/style of the house we have now.
So the furniture wouldve gone in the Quokka, before i left in hindsight