British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What do you use to keep track of taxes? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-do-you-use-keep-track-taxes-795055/)

GeoffM Apr 24th 2013 4:40 pm

What do you use to keep track of taxes?

I used a spreadsheet to keep track of what I'd bought and paid for but when it came to filling in the tax questionnaires I realised it could have done with some improvements - for example, some things I'd lumped together were better separated, and others would have been better grouped. So I had mini calculations going on in various places of the spreadsheet to get final figures for the tax questionnaire.

Anyway, what do you use to keep track of expenditure and income?

Noorah101 Apr 24th 2013 5:05 pm

Re: What do you use to keep track of taxes?

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10676453)
I used a spreadsheet to keep track of what I'd bought and paid for but when it came to filling in the tax questionnaires I realised it could have done with some improvements - for example, some things I'd lumped together were better separated, and others would have been better grouped. So I had mini calculations going on in various places of the spreadsheet to get final figures for the tax questionnaire.

I also use an Excel spreadsheet which I created myself, with input from our CPA on how to best group the items so she can read it easily at the end of the year.

Rene

Pulaski Apr 24th 2013 5:25 pm

Mrs P :rofl:

(She has an Excel spreadsheet that she has refined over the years to create totals to be transferred to our CPAs system.)

jeffreyhy Apr 24th 2013 5:31 pm

The W-2s and 1099s that are issued to me.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10676453)

Nutmegger Apr 24th 2013 6:24 pm

Income goes into a spread sheet, but I toss all the back-up receipts into a file folder, then sort them in January! :thumbsup:

GeoffM Apr 24th 2013 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10676551)
The W-2s and 1099s that are issued to me.

Would be nice if I only used the figures in those for my taxes but the majority of my income comes from sources that don't issue W-2s or 1099s (ie foreign).

Looks like I was on the right track with a spreadsheet then; I just need to refine it now.

Thanks.

Steve_ Apr 24th 2013 9:22 pm

Working in IT, I find pen and paper work best. :p Then I scan everything in. Got some stuff in Excel. In fairness, the CRA not using fillable forms until recently is part of the reason.

I discovered awhile ago though that tax software is just totally overrated, I find I can do it much more quickly on paper.

cranston Apr 24th 2013 10:25 pm

Google docs....its simple but it works.