Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most?

Wikiposts

What do you miss most?

Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most?

I'm beginning to think I miss the pubs, and I haven't even been to one.

Seriously, that bit sounds lovely, I wish we really had those here.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:27 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I'm beginning to think I miss the pubs, and I haven't even been to one.

Seriously, that bit sounds lovely, I wish we really had those here.
Somewhere in Texas I was shown into a 'replica' Brit pub, complete with a red public telephone box! It facilitated darts and pool (American pool!) and a host of Brit beers and refinements. The atmosphere? Well no. The mentality, mood, everything apart from the physical trimmings, were simply not the same.

A Brit joined us... we, er... revved up the joint a wee bit! ...

Hey, if you wanna Brit pub in the States, let the Brits take to the floor!

Hopefully one day, Tracy, you will visit the UK and see what many Brits now in the US miss about their homeland. Even our winters sometimes.

Btw, everyone... the first snow fall of the season (yesterday) lay across the Peak District - 4 inches of the stuff. A white Christmas is forecast, apparently...

--------
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
Somewhere in Texas I was shown into a 'replica' Brit pub, complete with a red public telephone box! It facilitated darts and pool (American pool!) and a host of Brit beers and refinements. The atmosphere? Well no. The mentality, mood, everything apart from the physical trimmings, were simply not the same.

A Brit joined us... we, er... revved up the joint a wee bit! ...

Hey, if you wanna Brit pub in the States, let the Brits take to the floor!

Hopefully one day, Tracy, you will visit the UK and see what many Brits now in the US miss about their homeland. Even our winters sometimes.

Btw, everyone... the first snow fall of the season (yesterday) lay across the Peak District - 4 inches of the stuff. A white Christmas is forecast, apparently...

--------
Well you wouldn't miss snow here. In Texas yes. In the Chicago area - we get PLENTY of snow. Keith got to play with his first snowblower.

Hopefully I will visit the real pubs one day. We do have a fake one here - it has very nice food, and a fireplace. Pretty good beer too. But you just sit and eat dinner, there's no comraderie.

My friend and I used to go to the Irish pubs in Chicago - not sure if they're the real thing, but they had nice Irish music, and very friendly clientele. So perhaps a bit closer in atmosphere anyway.

To bad the brits around here seem to be scattered a bit - or I try to organise a riot - I mean get-together
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

winkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant future

I can vouch for that re snow in Chicago. Landed here middle of January this year & thought I'd got on the wrong plane!! It was terrible right through to end of March & me & the dog didn't know what hit us! Never thought I'd subject the dog to wearing clothes but she's now the proud owner of an all weather jacket. Tried to get her in snow boots but she was having none of it!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by winkworth
I can vouch for that re snow in Chicago. Landed here middle of January this year & thought I'd got on the wrong plane!! It was terrible right through to end of March & me & the dog didn't know what hit us! Never thought I'd subject the dog to wearing clothes but she's now the proud owner of an all weather jacket. Tried to get her in snow boots but she was having none of it!
What snow? We hardly had ANY snow here last year. Just wait until you see REAL snow.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tracym;5576507]What snow? We hardly had ANY snow here last year. Just wait until you see REAL snow.[/QUOT

I lived in Illinois last year and remeber that we had to close the local airport where I worked my OH had to come and get me snowed in lol..
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anabella
I miss a very dear friend and her family, being part of the ramblers association and walking in the stunning countryside, also some TV programs (TV here is rubbish), great Indian food, spending time in London (a very inspirational place), M&S and working at Toni & Guy .. I think this about sums up everything I miss..

Apart from working at Toni and Guy, that's pretty much what I miss, in a nutshell!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Poppy girl;5576529]
What snow? We hardly had ANY snow here last year. Just wait until you see REAL snow.[/QUOT

I lived in Illinois last year and remeber that we had to close the local airport where I worked my OH had to come and get me snowed in lol..
Well, the airport can close for any snowstorm - it's a matter of visibility sometimes.

But having lived here the vast majority of my life - when there's feet of it at a time - that's snow.

Six inches - that's nothing.

The last few years have had very little snow, compared to many of the winters I've seen here. I've been here when you had to shovel off the roof, to keep it from collapsing from the weight of the snow. I've been here when you can't see going around corners, because the snow plowed up is way higher than the cars.

Now THAT's snow!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:50 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tracym;5576670]
Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Well, the airport can close for any snowstorm - it's a matter of visibility sometimes.

But having lived here the vast majority of my life - when there's feet of it at a time - that's snow.

Six inches - that's nothing.

The last few years have had very little snow, compared to many of the winters I've seen here. I've been here when you had to shovel off the roof, to keep it from collapsing from the weight of the snow. I've been here when you can't see going around corners, because the snow plowed up is way higher than the cars.

Now THAT's snow!

Yes I know you are right but on this particular occasion there was no runway lol nothing...
But I like snow in moderation wish it could be there for Xmas and then dissapear.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Poppy girl;5576700]

Yes I know you are right but on this particular occasion there was no runway lol nothing...
But I like snow in moderation wish it could be there for Xmas and then dissapear.
Well now there we are in agreement.

White Christmas is terrific.

Fighting snow is not.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Jamma72 will become famous soon enough

warburtons crumpets with Clover, Yummy
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

mofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the rough

I love living here but at this precise moment I miss electricity that can be relied on and TV that doesnt break up. My husband is getting worried that he wont be able to see the England Croatia match properly as the TV is breaking up!! I also miss Marks and Spencers
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Jimc_usa will become famous soon enoughJimc_usa will become famous soon enough

I miss the Saturday afternoon football match and a good pint of bitter.

I miss the bread, the pickled onions, oxo cubes and Bisto gravy.
I miss a good curry, liqorice allsorts and real tea.
I miss good English cheese and sausages.
I miss driving in the country on Sunday looking for a pub.

I go back every two years to visit me mum - so I make the most of it.
and I do buy Typhoo tea at the local indian import store.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

What I miss ...
  • Easy access to the continent
  • Healthcare I can afford as I look towards retirement
  • Walkers crisps in snack-sized bags
  • Good quality, cheap Indian food
  • Good British comedy (though I can find enough of it on cable, if I can be bothered to look!)

What I don't miss ...
  • Negative attitude
  • Crowded roads, crazy drivers
  • The weather!
  • Warm beer (though I do get back into it after a few!)
  • The class system
  • Over-done beef, over-done vegetables
  • The BBC - without commercials, when am I suppoed to go take a pee? - just kidding!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:23 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
[/LIST]
What I don't miss ...
  • Negative attitude
  • Crowded roads, crazy drivers
  • The weather!
  • Warm beer (though I do get back into it after a few!)
  • The class system
  • Over-done beef, over-done vegetables
  • The BBC - without commercials, when am I suppoed to go take a pee? - just kidding!
In answer:

* Not all is negative, much is positive
* Not where I live it ain't. Midlands and south - yes. That's were all the crazy drivers live! :-)
* The seasons can be delightful and enjoyable, especially in rural districts.
* Chilled beer is offered on tap if preferred (some beers anyway).
* What class system? It's not as evident as early post war.
* You've been dining at all the wrong places.
* If your bladder is so disfunctional, don't watch BBC! ...

Any more gripes? ...

Last edited by britex01; Nov 22nd 2007 at 1:26 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.