Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most?

Wikiposts

What do you miss most?

Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:23 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most?

Well folk, I'm here, enjoying what YOU miss ... .. (except perhaps the weather this time of year)

My Texan wife, currently in DFW, said yesterday that she misses fish 'n' chips, indian curries (proper curries!), our lovely countryside, pub breaks (especially Sunday roast), historic buildings, freedom to roam the woods and fields without fear of snakes, the NHS, quick access to the continent, and of course - me ...

What she doesn't miss are the winding roads and two way traffic lanes. Would she as hell settle into driving on our roads over here! I even went so far as to buy a V6 auto 2.5cc sports mode, with interior black leather upholstery, complete with bum warming, so that she might feel more 'at home'. But would she as hell drive it! ... ... But then, when I drive in the States, I see why... twin lanes, grid system, virtually no bends, straight lines and bugger all road signs!!

Ironically, the reg number of the V6 has the number 911 incorporated! .. ...

--------
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I miss my family. Other than that I/we are very happy here. It's been a little difficult emotion wise lately as our new baby (now four months) has a large extended family back in the UK that haven't been able to give him a cuddle yet.
On the good side my parents arrive tomorrow for a visit so we are all very excited about seeing them. The best part is that they will bring some goodies from home for us to enjoy.
I think that it gets easier with time being away from home and that you learn to adapt, well I have anyway. Just my two cents worth.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:53 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
I think that it gets easier with time being away from home and that you learn to adapt, well I have anyway. Just my two cents worth.
I think this is quite correct, adapting as time passes by - if one can free-up on one's attachments back at base, as it were. As sentient beings we do become attached, so I guess this is the one inner battle that some Brit folk contend with, living in the U.S of A. Conversely, Americans can be pulled back to the States for this very same reason.

Yup! ...

-----
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:46 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
. But then, when I drive in the States, I see why... twin lanes, grid system, virtually no bends, straight lines and bugger all road signs!!

--------
I had a London cabbie once tell me he was scared as hell driving in America because of this. 'There is just so much space, so flat, so straight. I could drive 100 mph and not even notice.'
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:06 am
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I had a London cabbie once tell me he was scared as hell driving in America because of this. 'There is just so much space, so flat, so straight. I could drive 100 mph and not even notice.'

Yup, I go along with what the cabbie said. Over there I drive my wife's car, but when last I drove in Texas and Oklahoma, 100mph felt like 60 on the straight! Eventually, I eased off - cops waiting in the dips and shadows!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:10 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
Yup, I go along with what the cabbie said. Over there I drive my wife's car, but when last I drove in Texas and Oklahoma, 100mph felt like 60 on the straight! Eventually, I eased off - cops waiting in the dips and shadows!
I am with you on that I do around 700-1000 miles a week, now if I did that in the UK I would be knackered lol but here its so easy the straight roads if I drive from Modesto to Sacramento like I will be doing today it takes me just over an hour, the the UK 100 miles takes me way over 2 hours and thats if I am lucky.....I was coming over the Altamont pass the other day on my way back from San Francisco and looked at the speed I as doing 97mph and still the other cars were passing me..
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

kittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to all

I can agree with the cabbie. My mum white-knuckles it when sitting in the drivers seat over here. She loves driving but she's scared of the roads
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:28 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
When you have no idea who the "TV personalities" are, no idea who reads the 9/10 o'clock news, no idea which shops are in and which out, no idea who the minister of whatever is but he looks like your son rather than your father, can download a soap on UKNova but can't recognize any of the characters, feel extreme culture shock when visiting home.....then you've made it. Happened to me around a decade out.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

kittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to allkittie1823 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
When you have no idea who the "TV personalities" are, no idea who reads the 9/10 o'clock news, no idea which shops are in and which out, no idea who the minister of whatever is but he looks like your son rather than your father, can download a soap on UKNova but can't recognize any of the characters, feel extreme culture shock when visiting home.....then you've made it. Happened to me around a decade out.
Wow, I've been here not even four years yet and I don't know any of those things anymore. Says a lot for me
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:26 am
Just Joined

GoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant future

Lots of the posts before me had me thinking of all kinds of things..... Family is always key but also things that I didn't really appreciate as much as I should have done before I moved here:

Peaceful country pubs.
True relaxation.
News that was actually well documented in the paper, and required an education to read it.
Humour, irony and real political satire.

And sport that is made to play, not for commercial breaks!!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittie1823
I can agree with the cabbie. My mum white-knuckles it when sitting in the drivers seat over here. She loves driving but she's scared of the roads
My folks just refuse to driver here full stop
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

I've learned to adapt . . . except for this time of year when I really get homesick for ALL things British. A good walk in the countryside, pubs, the shops, Christmas specials on the telly, driving over the moors at night and seeing the lights of Whitby . . . I could go on and on, but I won't as I need to get on with making my mince pies.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:43 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Miss: Friends and family; saturday afternoons (bookies, footie results, chippy, pub); walking through town centre and bumping into people i hadn't seen in years; walking and coming home to a real fire.

Don't miss: Dog sh!t; walking through town centre bumping into scum; not being able to get into bars if you are with 5 mates because bouncers are knob-ends; people drinking waaaayyyy too much.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:27 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care if you ARE a viking...... get that f***in axe out of the dartboard.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Long summer evenings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.