British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What do you guys say? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-do-you-guys-say-212996/)

bowave Feb 25th 2004 8:52 pm

What do you guys say?

I have just posted this same topic on the Canadian group and got some very good responses, so what do you guys in the USA say......?

"I would like some opinions from all you sensible people out there!
I am in a very, very fortunate position of having the choice of emigrating to Canada or the USA (yes, you heard right!!).
I have already had my medical examination as reqd by the Canadian High Commission here in the UK and have been told that once you have reached this stage, a positive answer is 99% certain. The other choice I have, is to emigrate to the US, on a business visa (E category).
Now basically what I am asking is this: which choice would you take if you were in my position?
I have researched this point quite thoroughly, with many visits to Canada and the USA in an attempt to sus out which would the better place,but I am still in a 50-50 position. A job in Canada would be no problem, as I have over 15 years experience in the technology arena, and if not, I would not mind doing other jobs in the meantime. In the USA, I would be running a fast food store.
The argument is that although Canada offers a better standard of living, it is a bit slow and laid back, whereas the US, with its so-called gung-ho attitude, is more conducive to business and therefore success ( and it is the economic engine of the world, at least at the moment).
So--your advice please! Any comments much appreciated!"

effi Feb 25th 2004 9:14 pm

Re: What do you guys say?

Originally posted by bowave
I have just posted this same topic on the Canadian group and got some very good responses, so what do you guys in the USA say......?

I am in a very, very fortunate position of having the choice of emigrating to Canada or the USA (yes, you heard right!!).
I have already had my medical examination as reqd by the Canadian High Commission here in the UK and have been told that once you have reached this stage, a positive answer is 99% certain. The other choice I have, is to emigrate to the US, on a business visa (E category).
Now basically what I am asking is this: which choice would you take if you were in my position?
I have researched this point quite thoroughly, with many visits to Canada and the USA in an attempt to sus out which would the better place,but I am still in a 50-50 position. A job in Canada would be no problem, as I have over 15 years experience in the technology arena, and if not, I would not mind doing other jobs in the meantime. In the USA, I would be running a fast food store.
The argument is that although Canada offers a better standard of living, it is a bit slow and laid back, whereas the US, with its so-called gung-ho attitude, is more conducive to business and therefore success ( and it is the economic engine of the world, at least at the moment).
I have lived in the US for 16 years and have enjoyed it. I have travelled to almost every State and each one is different and has a lot to offer. Personally though, I would choose Canada. I have never lived there, only visited but loved it. The way the economy is right now here in the US, with all the layoffs, unemployment etc. and the idiot we have at the top, it sucks. Although you may be ok in the fast food business. Keep in mind though that you will have to work all hours God sends to make it I would have thought.

Oggie Oi! Feb 25th 2004 9:23 pm

For Brits, I think acclimating to Canada is a bit easier than the US because of there are more similarities between Brits and Canadians (although many of my Canadian friends believe, begrudgingly, that they have far more in common with Americans).

As far as standard of living, I am not sure if I agree that it is better in Canada. With the exception of meds, everything tends to be more expensive. I think you can get more for less money in the US, but then again, I have not lived in Canada in over 10 years.

The greatest knock on Canada is that it is a bit dull. America can be a tumultuous (but relatively safe) place, which makes it interesting. America has been the birthplace of many exciting cultural, artistic, and social movements because if its history, but Canada never really sparks anything of international consequence because it is a bit more homogenous.

I will however always be thankful for being introduced to hockey while I was living in Canada, the sport of the gods!

Englishmum Feb 26th 2004 1:32 am

I was under the impression that if you have an E visa, it does not confer permanent residency, ie; you can't get a Green Card with it.

Also I understand that if you have kids, they would have to leave the US when they reach the age of 21 unless they're able to go onto another visa eg. student visa....or marry an American!

Please do check carefully into this as I could be wrong, but I'm certain I've read this before on this website about the limitations of the E visas.

Taffyles Feb 26th 2004 2:09 am

The visa would be my main concern. If the choice is between a permanent visa in Canada and an E visa in the US..then I know which way I would go. An E visa gives you no security, no rights and no long term benefits.
Comparing the two countries... well you have to decide what suits you and your circumstances. Healthcare and education are better in Canada than here, generally speaking- just a couple of things to consider. Oh and BBC Canada is MUCH better than BBC America ;)
Good luck whatever you decide.

Jabba1 Feb 26th 2004 7:42 am

Re: What do you guys say?

Originally posted by bowave

I suggest you learn the words to "Oh Canada".

Pulaski Feb 26th 2004 11:09 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum
I was under the impression that if you have an E visa, it does not confer permanent residency, ie; you can't get a Green Card with it. ......

Originally posted by Taffyles
The visa would be my main concern. If the choice is between a permanent visa in Canada and an E visa in the US..then I know which way I would go. An E visa gives you no security, no rights and no long term benefits. .....
Given a fair fight between the US and Canada, I'd take Canada every time, but Taffyles and Englishmum are right, and I'd take the certainty and security of the visa in Canada over an E visa for the US without a doubt.

Webbie Feb 27th 2004 2:47 am

I would say Canada.

Because (apart from the nicer weather) in the USA you are discrimnated against if you don't fit into the image of the American family, even though you hear the words "freedom of speech" there isn't. (See various people in the media) You will be judged on your appearance and critizied if you are too tall, too short and especially if you are overweight. If you yourself speak out you will be branded un-American and disloyal and questioned on what the heck are you doing here anyway. Despite applying for a few hundred jobs and even ones that you could do in your sleep, you will never receive a reply and very rarely given an interview. You have a high risk of being shot, an even higher risk of being in car crash. Your diet will consist of high fat, sugar added food and they will try to convince you that a low carb burger is good for you when in fact it's just the burger without the bun. Your television and radio will be censored, you will not be allowed to decide for yourself if the tv or radio show is out of bounds because of nudity or language, but you WILL be able to see extreme acts of violence. Your bigotry will be encouraged and you will be preached at or pressured into attending the local church or KKK meeting at every opportunity. You will not be allowed to smoke (if you do) anywhere you want, you cannot drink alcohol outside in a public place, but the "alcohol" here will give you no risk of any drunkeness so many people drink and drive and get into the aforementioned crashes.

(I'm filling in because I haven't seen a reply from Patrick for this one yet.
How did I do ?)

Lizzi Feb 27th 2004 2:59 am

Canada. Laid back, friendly, beautiful Canada.

JeanDupont Feb 27th 2004 3:22 am

AS a US/UK citizen by birth but with strong family connections to Canada (Nova Scotia) I have to admit that I agree with Webbie and I would go to Canada.
Friendlier, more tolerant,less violent,better medical benefits, for you it will be more like home.
Its only the weather which would put me off, and the sales taxes.
Go for it!

Oggie Oi! Feb 27th 2004 1:44 pm

Something to consider is that it is not uncommon for Canadians to move to the US, but few Americans move to Canada. Interpret that however you like.