Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you bring back from blighty ?

What do you bring back from blighty ?

Old May 21st 2005, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you bring back from blighty ?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Pataks balti curry paste? Central Market or Wholefoods in TX
Tetley Teabags? Central Market
Bath sponges? Why?
Toni & Guy products? Any of the 5 salons in our area
Shoes? Why?
King of shaves shaving oil.. OK, I would almost agree except that after a year of using it I realised that it's just as good shaving with nothing but water, and that's what I've done for the last 5 years
M & S undies? Try www.figleaves.com if you miss British underwear.
curry paste, its bloody expensive here and nowhere has the balti one..
tea bags, haven't heard of Central market and again why pay 10 bucks for 80, I currently have about a 1200 teabags in my cupboard so if anyone runs out..
Toni & guy, the stuff I use is only in Boots..
Shoes, the ones here are minging and my son has wide feet, haven't found a shoe shop that will actually properly fit his shoes, I'd rather he didn't have deformed feet..
Bath sponges, haven't found anywhere here that sells them and I like using sponges to wash my arse...
M & S, tried everywhere on the planet, their 36 DD is the only one that keeps them under control..
King of shaves, hubby has stubble like iron filings, anything else and he has a rash that looks like hes been set on fire..
Old May 21st 2005, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
curry paste, its bloody expensive here and nowhere has the balti one..
tea bags, haven't heard of Central market and again why pay 10 bucks for 80, I currently have about a 1200 teabags in my cupboard so if anyone runs out..
Toni & guy, the stuff I use is only in Boots..
Shoes, the ones here are minging and my son has wide feet, haven't found a shoe shop that will actually properly fit his shoes, I'd rather he didn't have deformed feet..
Bath sponges, haven't found anywhere here that sells them and I like using sponges to wash my arse...
M & S, tried everywhere on the planet, their 36 DD is the only one that keeps them under control..
King of shaves, hubby has stubble like iron filings, anything else and he has a rash that looks like hes been set on fire..
Stride Rite do wide fitting shoes for young children over here and they measure feet and fit the shoes. My daughter has wide feet and that's where I bought her shoes from when we first moved over here. They don't really have much choice for 8 year old girls but I think they have a bigger selection for toddlers. They aren't as good as Clarks but at least they do wide (they even do XW) fitting shoes. I also have wide feet and buying fashionable shoes over here is an absolute nightmare for me.
Old May 21st 2005, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Stride Rite do wide fitting shoes for young children over here and they measure feet and fit the shoes. My daughter has wide feet and that's where I bought her shoes from when we first moved over here. They don't really have much choice for 8 year old girls but I think they have a bigger selection for toddlers. They aren't as good as Clarks but at least they do wide (they even do XW) fitting shoes. I also have wide feet and buying fashionable shoes over here is an absolute nightmare for me.
Had a disaster with Stride Rite here, only had shoes in a medium fit, brought them out, handed them over and just said "try those" and walked off..we have a shop in Huddersfield that sells fabulous European shoes from Germany, Italy and Holland, they tend to fit him perfect although his last pair were 'Pods' *LOL* I had some of those when I was a kid..Obviously I'm not gonna go back to UK everytme he needs some shoes but I'm staying well clear of Stride Rite, Ecco have just opened near us and Nordstrom have a limited range of 'Elephanten' so I'll try there when the time comes..Now its warm again hes actually wearing baby Birkenstocks..we have matching ones
Old May 21st 2005, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Had a disaster with Stride Rite here, only had shoes in a medium fit, brought them out, handed them over and just said "try those" and walked off..we have a shop in Huddersfield that sells fabulous European shoes from Germany, Italy and Holland, they tend to fit him perfect although his last pair were 'Pods' *LOL* I had some of those when I was a kid..Obviously I'm not gonna go back to UK everytme he needs some shoes but I'm staying well clear of Stride Rite, Ecco have just opened near us and Nordstrom have a limited range of 'Elephanten' so I'll try there when the time comes..Now its warm again hes actually wearing baby Birkenstocks..we have
matching ones
Our local Stride Rite shop stocks elephanten and some other european shoes and the staff in there are really helpful, perhaps you should try another store. I love to see children wearing proper shoes and sandals but they seem to wear trainers all the time over here. My son thought it was great when he realised that he could wear trainers for school. He has his middle school graduation party on a boat in Philadelphia harbour in a few weeks and I've got to buy him proper shoes, trousers and shirt and tie, he's not been dressed up since we came here and I can't wait to see him look smart.

I wanted to buy some Birkenstocks but my husband said he thought they looked too frumpy on me, he also said the same about some Ecco ones I tried on. They were both really comfy so I think I'll go and buy myself some next week now I know young women wear them.
Old May 21st 2005, 1:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
I wanted to buy some Birkenstocks but my husband said he thought they looked too frumpy on me, he also said the same about some Ecco ones I tried on. They were both really comfy so I think I'll go and buy myself some next week now I know young women wear them.
birkenstocks ain't half expensive over here as well....but have you tried merrils? There really comfy, started out as mountain climbing shoes...but anyway, they were a lot cheaper in blighty....worth looking at all the same though
Old May 21st 2005, 2:54 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bob]There around, and I've seen kids shoes in a couple of shoe stores around here...hated them as a kid though *lol*

QUOTE]

Are you sure Bob? Toddler version, or big kids? We've been trying to get our local Clarks retailer to stock baby/toddler shoes and he claims its Clarks company policy not to import to the US - I've contacted Clarks in the UK 2 or 3 times trying to see if they would let me import, but never get a reply

What do we bring back:-

Clarks toddler shoes
Calpol
Boots kids cold remedies
Lemsip (healthy lot eh!)
Duvet covers and kids bedding
Not a lot else.

Wonder if US customs or Dept of Agric or whoever reads this - they'll have a field day next time some of you guys come back!!
Old May 21st 2005, 4:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

Are you sure Bob? Toddler version, or big kids? We've been trying to get our local Clarks retailer to stock baby/toddler shoes and he claims its Clarks company policy not to import to the US - I've contacted Clarks in the UK 2 or 3 times trying to see if they would let me import, but never get a reply
To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue...but they were tiny, so presumed them to be toddler version...saw them out in the clarks store in Freeport, but that's a factory outlet store, so they often sell what's not supposed to be sold in the shops...
Old May 21st 2005, 4:43 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a disaster with Stride Rite here, only had shoes in a medium fit, brought them out, handed them over and just said "try those" and walked off..we have a shop in Huddersfield that sells fabulous European shoes from Germany, Italy and Holland, they tend to fit him perfect although his last pair were 'Pods' *LOL* I had some of those when I was a kid..Obviously I'm not gonna go back to UK everytme he needs some shoes but I'm staying well clear of Stride Rite, Ecco have just opened near us and Nordstrom have a limited range of 'Elephanten' so I'll try there when the time comes..Now its warm again hes actually wearing baby Birkenstocks..we have matching ones
The ever-wonderful www.shoes.com often has Elephanten at huge discount during their fortnightly sales. That's where we got the last few pairs for our girls. In fact, www.shoes.com has been our source for all shoes over the last year or so. Free shipping, free returns and so long as you only ever shop in their frequent sales the prices are bloody excellent.
Old May 21st 2005, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Yorkieabroad]
Originally Posted by Bob
There around, and I've seen kids shoes in a couple of shoe stores around here...hated them as a kid though *lol*

QUOTE]

What do we bring back:-

Clarks toddler shoes
Calpol
Boots kids cold remedies
Lemsip (healthy lot eh!)
Duvet covers and kids bedding
Not a lot else.

Wonder if US customs or Dept of Agric or whoever reads this - they'll have a field day next time some of you guys come back!!
Never mind what every one else brings back, what about your meds. You are not allowed to bring any medicine into the US unless you have a valid prescription. This includes over the counter stuff like Calpol and Lemsip, I still bring them back with me though.
Old May 21st 2005, 4:58 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
birkenstocks ain't half expensive over here as well....but have you tried merrils? There really comfy, started out as mountain climbing shoes...but anyway, they were a lot cheaper in blighty....worth looking at all the same though
Now I know how Yanks spot us Brits... we're the only non-Dykes wearing Birkenstocks!
Old May 21st 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishmum
So he's really funny then?

I've been away too long I guess...I've never seen him on TV...BBC America is still showing Benny bloody Hill and Monty Python for goodness' sakes..

Is Peter Kay comparable with any other British comedian or is he in a league of his own?

See for yourself. As the truly unidexter Elvis sings his song.

http://www.patrickmcguinness.co.uk/pn2/ends/endof3.rm
Old May 21st 2005, 1:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So I'm the only one that doesn't think Peter Kay is god's gift to comedy then?
Old May 21st 2005, 1:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

[Bath sponges, haven't found anywhere here that sells them and I like using sponges to wash my arse...
Is it natural sponges you are after ..this sort ...
http://www.acmesponge.com/natural.htm
Old May 21st 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
So I'm the only one that doesn't think Peter Kay is god's gift to comedy then?

So far, yes. But who knows by tea time how many will agree with you ?
Old May 21st 2005, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I can afford from Next especially kids clothes and my M&S underware. And I'v now started to collect Brit tourist stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.