Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do ya do Christmas Eve?

What do ya do Christmas Eve?

Old Dec 20th 2005, 6:47 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do ya do Christmas Eve?

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
trying to persuade them that it would be good to get a reasonably early night ! fat chance.
Yeah - good luck with that!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 6:49 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by CarlM
Yeah - good luck with that!
I might just put all the presents out and go to bed and leave them to do whatever they are doing ! LOLOL....
Old Dec 20th 2005, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

During christmas eve daytime I'll probably be cooking and trying to stop the kids from killing one another (hmmm those light sabres were definitely a bad idea for a gift). In the evening it's dinner with the in-laws.

Think I'd rather be spending the day in the pub...

Annette
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:13 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first year I haven't been back to the UK and hung out down the old local with mates I never see the rest of the year. My wife and I are having our first Christmas as a married couple alone in the new house we closed on 3 weeks ago - Christmas Eve this year we're heading to a party at one of my wife's friends, but late afternoon I'll be calling my mates in the pub in Cambridge.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that Christmas just isn't that great over here! Last year we had a very quiet Christmas, and a very quiet New Year. In the UK, Christmas Eve was always a belter, lots of people returning home and going straight to the pub. Similar with New Year.

Christmas day here will probably be spent like last year - on the road. Drive to see the inlaws, drive to see the grandparents, that's your day done. Seems to me that in my extended family at least, Thanksgiving is the day for a big meal, and Christmas is a bit of a non event(less presents for the kids). Don't think the weather here helps with the no Christmas feeling, either. Used to love getting up on Christmas day, having the big dinner, watching the Queen then walking it all off over the country fields. Then maybe having a swifty in the Pub a bit later on, or if not, definately on boxing day!

Don't know what it is here - it just feels wrong. Maybe a lot of it is to do with the fact that I've always (usually) had a decent break at Christmas/New Year - here, it's have the day off and get back to cubicle hell straight after, due to the "what no vacation time" US mentality, almost as though the day didn't really occur.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

dunc_b will become famous soon enoughdunc_b will become famous soon enough

Sounds like everyone has similar Christmas Eve's to me back home - catching up with old friends and school pals...

I'll be in Phoenix - popping out shooting in the morning and then the bar... My local closes at 4PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Outrageous! so it'll be an early session there coupled with rowdy phone calls from mates back home!

then Christmas dinner at the inlaws - unles sI'm twisted in which case I'll be getting out of it!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:20 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

We have a little family tradition we do each Christmas Eve. It all started when my daughter was about 3, my other half would take her to see a movie in the afternoon so I could finish sorting out all the presents with her out of the way. Once my son was old enough to go to the movies too, we all went together. This will be our 7th year going, we always try to pick something festive to watch, then have something to eat out before going home. Christmas Eve wouldn't be the same without our trip to the movies now.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunc_b
Sounds like everyone has similar Christmas Eve's to me back home - catching up with old friends and school pals...

I'll be in Phoenix - popping out shooting in the morning and then the bar... My local closes at 4PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Outrageous! so it'll be an early session there coupled with rowdy phone calls from mates back home!

then Christmas dinner at the inlaws - unles sI'm twisted in which case I'll be getting out of it!
We'll be in Phoenix too, actually Glendale & Peoria. I can't believe you actually have a local here! I guess I would call Hurricane Bay my local!!!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:50 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
We have a little family tradition we do each Christmas Eve. It all started when my daughter was about 3, my other half would take her to see a movie in the afternoon so I could finish sorting out all the presents with her out of the way. Once my son was old enough to go to the movies too, we all went together. This will be our 7th year going, we always try to pick something festive to watch, then have something to eat out before going home. Christmas Eve wouldn't be the same without our trip to the movies now.
That's a really cool tradition.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Partystar
We'll be in Phoenix too, actually Glendale & Peoria. I can't believe you actually have a local here! I guess I would call Hurricane Bay my local!!!
The Rock Bottom - 101 & Shea on the East Side!

Email me if you want a pint!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:08 pm
Back where I belong!

The Rock Bottom - 101 & Shea on the East Side!

Email me if you want a pint!
I know a lot of people that absolutely love Rock Bottom, a large number of them are coppers. I got kicked out of the one at 75th Avenue & Bell Rd the last time I was there!!!

Might take you up on that pint one day, although I don't drink & drive, so mine'll be a coke!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

I know a lot of people that absolutely love Rock Bottom, a large number of them are coppers. I got kicked out of the one at 75th Avenue & Bell Rd the last time I was there!!!

Might take you up on that pint one day, although I don't drink & drive, so mine'll be a coke!
Me neither - I walk 2.5 miles to the bar - something that seems to prove eternally amusing to the red necks!

ANytime you wnat a beer - let me know - my first isn't due until May 30th so I'm allowed out right now!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Me neither - I walk 2.5 miles to the bar - something that seems to prove eternally amusing to the red necks!

ANytime you wnat a beer - let me know - my first isn't due until May 30th so I'm allowed out right now!
Yeah, most of my American friends can't believe I pay for taxis if I decided I wanna have a drink. They always try to talk me into getting in the car with them!!! It's almost as if some of them are trying to convince themselves that it's okay to drink & drive.

Do you know what you are having yet? Are you even going to find out?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Do you know what you are having yet? Are you even going to find out?
Jan 3rd - ultrasound!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Jan 3rd - ultrasound!
It's a boy!

Does your wife have an idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.