Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do whilst on spousal non-work visa?

What to do whilst on spousal non-work visa?

Old Jan 7th 2020, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do whilst on spousal non-work visa?

Yes - but there are loads of true volunteer opportunities. I see a lot of retired people volunteering in hospitals as greeters, guides and waiting room helpers for example. I talked to an elderly gentleman while I was in a hospital waiting room recently and asked what the deal was: he works a couple of hours a day three times a week so he can get out of the house and talk to people and keep his mind sharp and feel useful.

Agree with Park99: I was on a H4 (visa from hell: spouse never allowed to work) for 4.5 years and it was an absolute nightmare and now I can legally work I am having a really hard time finding a job as I've got a massive gap in my CV and volunteer work and studying does not cut it in Silicon Valley.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe an E2? Anyway California and you think Homeless and Drug Rehabilitation, should be loads of opportunities.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 7:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarlsBarkley
Hi petitefrancaise
Sorry, maybe I should have clarified. The visa bit is irrelevant to my question as his company's HR department have already informed me that I will not be allowed to work on any of the visa options we go for. The visa's are in progress and it's just for simplicity that I call it a spousal visa. (I can't remember the titles and numbers of the different types of visas anyway). My question is more to do with what sort of volunteering positions I could do in such a short period, or any courses at colleges/universities or small institutions. I'd thought of doing an internship somewhere to learn some more skills but because California's laws protect employees/interns from possible exploitation, it's a requirement that interns be paid after a week or so. Or so I've been informed. So, internship and paid work are not an option for me. But I'll go bonkers if I don't have something to do in those 3 - 6 months. I've explored SF extensively on previous trips and have done most of the tourist stuff (which I'll do again no doubt because I love that city.).
Thanks x
Actually it does make a difference which visa the 'partner' is coming on and whether or not you are married or just a romantic partner.

Your partner could be coming on an L-1(A) or (B) visa which does allow a spouse to enter on a L-2(A) or (B) which does allow a spouse to work. A H visa will not allow a spouse to work. A J visa would allow a spouse to work.

If you are not married then you will be entering either under the VWP which is good for only 90 days (plan on leaving on day 88) or on a formal B visa for a tourist which might allow you 6 months stay. Neither of those options allow you to work or attend classes. You can visit museums, shop, volunteer where no volunteers are paid to do the same thing. Other than that, twiddle your thumbs and watch soap operas.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

B2 Cohabitating? Difficult to comment with such confusing information.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 8:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by park99
Speaking as a trailing spouse here.

I left my well-paid job to come to California with my husband and kids. I wanted to support hubby's career. I initially thought I would be fine for not being able to work for one year (the minimum for getting GC). But 3 months in I am absolutely missing my job! And it doesn't help when a CEO of a UK local firm contacted me about an opening in their company...I felt I have lost my identity, my connection with the wider society, my finance independence, etc, not to mention the growing gap on my CV!

If your partner is only going to be in US for 3- 6 months, why you have to give up your career and follow? You can skype each other everyday and you can visit him. Unless the gig is for long-term, you shouldn't give up your job.

Giving up a career to move to a place where you are not ALLOWED to work is daunting. It's very different compare to you choose not to work. Oh have you looked at how expensive the living cost is in the area? Is your partner's income enough to support both of you?

Sorry for being negative but I think you need to be careful about the impact on your own career.
I agree with you completely. It doesn’t seem worthwhile to uproot for such a short time. Whip over for a couple of vacations and the secondment will be finished before the OP knows it.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
... Your partner could be coming on an L-1(A) or (B) visa which does allow a spouse to enter on a L-2(A) or (B) which does allow a spouse to work. .....
No.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarlsBarkley
Thanks Pulaski , That's helpful to know. Yeah I love animals so the humane society is a good shout. I'd already thought about helping the homeless and will look into that a bit more too.
I have volunteered in SF with Project Open Hand.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 7th 2020 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sherbert
Yes - but there are loads of true volunteer opportunities. I see a lot of retired people volunteering in hospitals as greeters, guides and waiting room helpers for example. I talked to an elderly gentleman while I was in a hospital waiting room recently and asked what the deal was: he works a couple of hours a day three times a week so he can get out of the house and talk to people and keep his mind sharp and feel useful.

Agree with Park99: I was on a H4 (visa from hell: spouse never allowed to work) for 4.5 years and it was an absolute nightmare and now I can legally work I am having a really hard time finding a job as I've got a massive gap in my CV and volunteer work and studying does not cut it in Silicon Valley.
Oh that sounds painful... I would think there are plenty of jobs in SV, but obviously the gap on CV really has an impact. Is your background in tech?
Best of luck, don't give up.

Last edited by park99; Jan 8th 2020 at 6:43 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 8:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rete;12786642
Your partner could be coming on an L-1(A) or (B) visa which does allow a spouse to enter on a L-2(A) or (B) which does allow a spouse to work..[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Pulaski
No.
just to expand on Pulaski's comment:
There is only an L2 visa - not a or b.
You can enter the USA on the L2 but cannot work until you have had the work permit approved. This is currently taking 4-6 months. The L2 visa on it's own does not allow you to work. You can apply for a social security number as soon as the L2 arrives but it will have "not valid for employment without EAD" stamped on it.