Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do we do? I'm sure I don't know!

What do we do? I'm sure I don't know!

Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:50 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do we do? I'm sure I don't know!

Five Easy Pieces.

Nostalgia moment there.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
WTF......... how can you simply discount other people's experiences and insist that it is *easy*??
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The older they are, the harder it is. I would never discount children's experience of moving as being 'easy', because even if they love it here, they do miss things and miss out on things. They may or may not adapt and love it here. That is the gamble you are taking on.

I didn't say it was easy moving here and settling in. I didn't say it was easy for the kids either.

The OP wanted to know the best way to fit in....I told here it was easy, if you just "be yourself" No heirs or graces, no looking down your nose at everyone...why act any different than you would if you were moving somewhere different in the UK.

I guess I must just be a very simple person then
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:01 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Colonel Mustard in the library with a cheeseboard.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Colonel Mustard in the library with a cheeseboard.

I don't know cindy, I haven't got a clue but I do like cheese
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I didn't say it was easy moving here and settling in. I didn't say it was easy for the kids either.

The OP wanted to know the best way to fit in....I told here it was easy, if you just "be yourself" No heirs or graces, no looking down your nose at everyone...why act any different than you would if you were moving somewhere different in the UK.

I guess I must just be a very simple person then
I did pick up on 'easy', but not a criticism of you, I myself assumed my kids would slot into life here without thinking of how hard that would be for them, they have done fantastically well but any parent contemplating such a move should see all sides. I have the greatest respect for you personally, Sugarmooma.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I did pick up on 'easy', but not a criticism of you, I myself assumed my kids would slot into life here without thinking of how hard that would be for them, they have done fantastically well but any parent contemplating such a move should see all sides. I have the greatest respect for you personally, Sugarmooma.

Sometimes the written word doesn't always come across as you mean it to, or as I mean it to.

Everyone is different and are here under different circumstances. A lot of times if a parent is not comfortable then the kids pick up on it and don't settle either. With all our years here and our ups and downs it just got easier when we stopped looking at everything in a negative way. It's easier for everyone to settle if you start living a life here instead of constantly comparing it to the life you had ( my thoughts anyway

The one thing that does puzzle me is when people say they have problems making friends here. I never could figure that out, that is why I suggested to the OP that she just acts naturally that way you are more comfortable with yourself. But, no doubt, it does take time, it is all different but it can also be a great challenge
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is different and are here under different circumstances. A lot of times if a parent is not comfortable then the kids pick up on it and don't settle either. With all our years here and our ups and downs it just got easier when we stopped looking at everything in a negative way. It's easier for everyone to settle if you start living a life here instead of constantly comparing it to the life you had ( my thoughts anyway
That's certainly true.
The one thing that does puzzle me is when people say they have problems making friends here. I never could figure that out, that is why I suggested to the OP that she just acts naturally that way you are more comfortable with yourself. But, no doubt, it does take time, it is all different but it can also be a great challenge
Unfortunately we are in 'Valley of the Dolls' territory here, only today I bumped into one of the other Mums (American, been in this area all her life) in the supermarket and she was saying they want to move as it's so insular/bitchy and hard for her daughter.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:05 am
Sursum corda

I don't know cindy, I haven't got a clue but I do like cheese
Somebody moved my cheese.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:41 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I have lived in Houston since August 2005 and came across with my husband and two children who were 10 and 7 at the time (boy and girl). I too consider myself to be fairly worldy-wise and definitely confident, and was really excited by the move. It is typical, however, to feel a little "strange" during your first six months of your settlement. It's not that it's hellish or anything, but everything is new and different and I remember feeling like I'd left my brain in the UK because I couldn't figure out how to do the simplest of things! As for the children settling, the schooling transition caused some stress to start of with, again because it's different and you're not sure how to navigate it, but I would say that only lasted for the first 6 weeks or so - although I'm in quite a strict School District so I'm still navigating all the rules! The fact you've been here before is helpful, I had been back and forth for the few years before we moved - it was great because I had a certain familiarity with the area, but it was also bad in that it lulled me into thinking I would feel at "home" alot quicker than I did. Like anything, there are good and bad points to living in Houston and alot of it is to do with how you approach it and how you throw yourself into certain things. This forum is a great place for you because not only will you find practical advice on what to do, but you'll also find lots of people like me who can give you the personal perspective too. I hope we can help you through the next few months
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody has different experiences when they move to a new Country to live, not everyone is going to 'adapt' to their new home easily, or even at all, for some. If you come here with the idea that you are going to 'feel at home', just in different surroundings, then you will have a few lessons to learn and pretty quickly, you have been to Houston already, so you know the area (as a tourist) Living there will not be the same experience, but I think you already know that. You seem to be a positive and well balanced person, so I doubt you will be running back to the UK at your first upset

As has been said in other posts, it really does come down to attitude and patience, if you are willing to take things slowly at first and 'settle in' while exploring the area, and getting to know your neighbours etc, you will find it goes much more smoothly. The kids will be a big factor in your settling in too, you will get to know the parents of their school friends, particularly if they are into school sports etc, I learnt so much here from other Mums, I found them ready and eager to give help/advice to a 'newbie'

Just relax and learn as much as you can about the US and it's culture, this board has some great 'older' threads that you have time to study, It's certainly going to be an adventure for you all, I hope you enjoy it all, the planning of it etc, just as much as the actual move. Also have a look at some of the web pages for schools in Houston, they will give you an idea of how the schools run here
Old Apr 10th 2009, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I come from the North West Highlands and have found that I've settled into life in the Deep South pretty well, though it's only been 6 months...

Our kids are 4 and 7 and really enjoy the outdoorsy lifestyle, I enjoy living here but that doesn't mean that I'm not homesick from time to time or that I don't feel the huge distance between here and my family in Scotland.

My questions for you would be;

1) As others have asked already, find out exactly what visa your husband will be on and report back, you'll get more specific advice that way.

2) I'd want to know whether your older children could join you when they complete their studies,they may not even consider that at the moment, but I'd want to know whether they could come if they wanted to in the future. Someone on here would know the answer to that I'm sure, but they would need to know what visa you'll be applying for.

3) Find out where your husband's office is in Houston, then those who know Houston can advise you regarding places to live and schools etc.

Being Scottish will not be a problem for you here, I'm sure of that!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
It's not that it's hellish or anything, but everything is new and different and I remember feeling like I'd left my brain in the UK because I couldn't figure out how to do the simplest of things! As for the children settling, the schooling transition caused some stress to start of with, again because it's different and you're not sure how to navigate it, but I would say that only lasted for the first 6 weeks or so - although I'm in quite a strict School District so I'm still navigating all the rules!
This is so true. I lost a lot of confidence moving here, because suddenly I wasn't efficient and competent. I felt really stupid for quite a while.

I'd just started getting through that phase, then I started a new job, and I'm the person asking stupid questions all over again.

Also my 6 year old struggled a bit with the change of school at first, but then she really settled in. My 4yo and 2yo hardly batted an eyelid.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 3:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
How long have you been over there?
Hi Lazzza,

It's been 10 months. Now I am not saying it was all easy and the first few months everything seemed to be a PITA - applying for SSN's that didn't arrive, opening bank accounts, setting up the mortgage, buying cars, doctors & dentists. Everything was different but that was partly the fun of it - as long as you have half a brain and talk very slowly to the people involved you get there in the end. The thing is once all that stuff is set up and you have got your head around the way things are done it's not like you have to do it all again.

My 10 year old son has almost finished his first year at a US Elementary (4th Grade) and is going to middle school after the long, long, long Summer Break. He has made a few friends, joined a few clubs and loves the fact that he can be outdoors almost year round.

Our house is fantastic - huge compared to what the same money would buy at home and Houston is certainly not a dump. The shopping is great, you can eat out at a different place every night if you want to, there are museums and theatres, theme parks & water parks are just a drive away, lots of clases & groups laid on for kids, beaches, parks - compare that to Aberdeen .

DH is on a 3 year contract with the option to extend and we are already thinking ahead to extending Visa's or applying for Green Cards - for us (at the moment) the thought of going 'back home' is not appealing.

Good Luck with your decision
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Hi Lazzza,

It's been 10 months. Now I am not saying it was all easy and the first few months everything seemed to be a PITA - applying for SSN's that didn't arrive, opening bank accounts, setting up the mortgage, buying cars, doctors & dentists. Everything was different but that was partly the fun of it - as long as you have half a brain and talk very slowly to the people involved you get there in the end. The thing is once all that stuff is set up and you have got your head around the way things are done it's not like you have to do it all again.

My 10 year old son has almost finished his first year at a US Elementary (4th Grade) and is going to middle school after the long, long, long Summer Break. He has made a few friends, joined a few clubs and loves the fact that he can be outdoors almost year round.

Our house is fantastic - huge compared to what the same money would buy at home and Houston is certainly not a dump. The shopping is great, you can eat out at a different place every night if you want to, there are museums and theatres, theme parks & water parks are just a drive away, lots of clases & groups laid on for kids, beaches, parks - compare that to Aberdeen .

DH is on a 3 year contract with the option to extend and we are already thinking ahead to extending Visa's or applying for Green Cards - for us (at the moment) the thought of going 'back home' is not appealing.

Good Luck with your decision

Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:18 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
If you live over there and don't then you are (a) stupid or (b) stupid.
A little uncalled for, methinks.

Have fun planning, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.