British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What to do next. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-do-next-719934/)

april03 Jun 7th 2011 11:52 am

What to do next.

Hello.

I'm new to this forum and hoping I would get some guidance on what to do next.
I will be moving to San Diego, California on a PR visa to work as a nurse.
Just need some guidance on who to contact and what to do next with regards to tax, benefits, pensions, banking, etc. here in UK. I am single and does not own a property.

GeoffM Jun 7th 2011 11:59 am

Re: What to do next.

Hi. Have you actually got a visa or otherwise authorised to work in the US? That's your first step and I'm unclear as to whether you do!

april03 Jun 7th 2011 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9416113)
Hi. Have you actually got a visa or otherwise authorised to work in the US? That's your first step and I'm unclear as to whether you do!

I already have the visa.

GeoffM Jun 7th 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by april03 (Post 9416168)
I already have the visa.

Ok, just checking! Many people seem to think that's the easy bit.

There's a poster on here, SilverDragon (can't remember the full name), who also posts on another forum for nurses. That poster (and that site which I don't know whether I can name here) would be useful for the nursing side of things (NCLEX etc).

There are several wiki pages linked at the top of this forum with regards to banking, and numerous discussions on taxes, pensions, credit history, etc. If you have something more specific to ask then I'm sure others will be able to help. I assume you have a job offer since you're specific in location?

Out of interest, how did you get the visa since nursing visas haven't really been possible for several years now?

Bob Jun 7th 2011 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by april03 (Post 9416103)
Just need some guidance on who to contact and what to do next with regards to tax, benefits, pensions, banking, etc. here in UK. I am single and does not own a property.

Taxes, benefits and pensions - ask the employer as it's pretty much up to them on what's offered and taken out of pay. Other taxes, well it's on everything and there's not much to do about it till tax time but you'll find hundreds of threads going over that.

Banking, well open a bank with who ever is most convenient in your location, job done. Credit Unions are usually better though, but it all depends on what you're looking for, something that has a massive presence across the country or good with international wire transfers etc.

If you don't already have a SSN, and you don't tick the box to automatically get one when arriving as a LPR, then you should wait 10 business days before applying for one.

You need to sort out a drivers license asap as technically you've got 10 days in CA, but realistically that's not going to happen but some folks have mentioned being able to get a temporary license/learners permit as an interim before being able to take the test.

meauxna Jun 7th 2011 5:17 pm

Hello.

I have some articles linked at the bottom of this page that may be useful to you, especially the 'Welcome' one.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigr..._.26_Documents

Rete Jun 7th 2011 7:23 pm

Believe she is asking about the UK not the US.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9416436)
Taxes, benefits and pensions - ask the employer as it's pretty much up to them on what's offered and taken out of pay. Other taxes, well it's on everything and there's not much to do about it till tax time but you'll find hundreds of threads going over that.

Banking, well open a bank with who ever is most convenient in your location, job done. Credit Unions are usually better though, but it all depends on what you're looking for, something that has a massive presence across the country or good with international wire transfers etc.

If you don't already have a SSN, and you don't tick the box to automatically get one when arriving as a LPR, then you should wait 10 business days before applying for one.

You need to sort out a drivers license asap as technically you've got 10 days in CA, but realistically that's not going to happen but some folks have mentioned being able to get a temporary license/learners permit as an interim before being able to take the test.

Bob Jun 7th 2011 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9417112)
Believe she is asking about the UK not the US.

errr... "I will be moving to San Diego, California on a PR visa to work as a nurse. "...that's why I thought she was asking about the US.

She ought to know about the UK if she's living/working there....perhaps the P-85.

Englishman43 Jun 7th 2011 9:22 pm

Hello.

Where in San Diego will you be ? I'm up in North County.

Jerseygirl Jun 7th 2011 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9417210)
errr... "I will be moving to San Diego, California on a PR visa to work as a nurse. "...that's why I thought she was asking about the US.

She ought to know about the UK if she's living/working there....perhaps the P-85.

I think OP's opening post is asking how she ties up the loose ends in the UK...with regards to bank account, taxes, benefits ('cos she won't get any here :lol:) etc

april03 Jun 18th 2011 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9417465)
Where in San Diego will you be ? I'm up in North County.

In Oceanside, CA.

Ray Jun 19th 2011 3:40 am

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

http://www.taxfix.co.uk/forum/articl...ng-the-uk.html

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/1/2/int...leaving-the-uk

Englishman43 Jun 20th 2011 2:33 am

Originally Posted by april03 (Post 9441447)
In Oceanside, CA.

Ah nice just a few miles ( 4 maybe ) north of me, let me know if I can help. When you get a job they will go over Health Insurance, 401(K) , pensions etc with you.