Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:52 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah i'd keep laughing if i was you dream on
OK once then and spend 6 1/2 hours at Universal Studios, is that more realistic?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
OK once then and spend 6 1/2 hours at Universal Studios, is that more realistic?

well now that's going from the sublime to the ridiculous ....
Old Mar 12th 2007, 1:01 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

If it were me, I would take a taxi to Santa Monica, about $40 each way, including the $2.50 airport surcharge and tip. Take a walk along the seafront (on the top), very very beautiful. If you have time, go along the Santa Monica pier. There is a Mexican restaurant at the end of the pier that serves really good food. You can sit outside, and drool at the view of Santa Monica. And wave to his Lordship.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 1:06 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
That's the amount of time between our arrival in LA and our departure to New Zealand. I don't think we'll have to claim our baggage and re-check it, but even if we do, that won't take too long.

We have a 5 1/2 year old daughter. No real desire to rent a car for that amount of time. 2 hour check-in (probably) for New Zealand.

Should we even attempt to do anything between flights, or is it just best to hang around the airport? What's there to do there at the airport, anything?
Go outside. Wander around a bit until you get lost in the smog.......
Count Beamers on the freeway.
Count Taco Bell "restaurants"
Try to find a CHP biker without sunglasses and a moustache.
Try to spot a dirty car.
Try to spot dirty anything
Stare at the palm trees and go "ooooh, ahhhh" then realise they're plastic.
Put on a blue bandana and go look for a hood where they all wear red ones.
Plan a trip anywhere without using the freeway.
Wait for rain.
Play spot the dago.

Good evening.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
something inane and uninformed
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:11 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Call the airline, they are your carrier not just an agent like Orbitz. Most have an 1-800 customer service number or they will tell you at check-in and then you can decide. Where in the US are you?
Will do. I'm in the Chicago 'burbs.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When you check in at your local airport make sure you ask for your bags to be checked straight through to NZ...there shouldn't be a problem.
Originally Posted by TruBrit
haha famous last words...

if you have time then collect your bags and recheck them to make sure they make your connecting flight, a bit of an inconvenience but makes sense. all too often you arrive at your final destination and your bags haven't....happened to hubs last week in Copenhagen carrier KLM all the way from Houston via Amsterdam.
Hmmm... I've had this happen to me before now, where my bags have shown up a day later. No fun! Might actually be worth taking the time to collect them, though with such a long time between flights, they shouldn't miss it!

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Leaving the terminal at LAX is a risky move. The airport is a dive, and constantly under renovations here or there, so you never really know what to expect with security or traffic into/out of the airport. For example, if your NZ flight left at 6:00 PM, and you have to get back to the airport between 4-6, well, hope you like having a vacation in your taxi cab...

But if you want, I'd pick something close by in LA, say "Venice Beach" or "The Santa Monica Pier" (been in a few movies) and just go there. Not a great deal to see, but you can get some junk food, see a dirty beach, walk around a bit and stretch before you long flight to NZ. It's not all that far from LAX via cab.

However, really plan ahead for your return to the airport AND you passing through security. Checking your bags all the way through will help, as will getting your boarding passes for the NZ flight at your first airport. Budget a lot of time for your return and you could probably do it.
Originally Posted by Mallory
If it were me, I would take a taxi to Santa Monica, about $40 each way, including the $2.50 airport surcharge and tip. Take a walk along the seafront (on the top), very very beautiful. If you have time, go along the Santa Monica pier. There is a Mexican restaurant at the end of the pier that serves really good food. You can sit outside, and drool at the view of Santa Monica. And wave to his Lordship.
I think we'll be staying a lot closer to the airport than that, but noted for any future trips to LA, thanks!

Originally Posted by USBound
if it were me doing this Maz I'd just take something to distract the littleone and a good book, sit around in the airport for a few hours.

to be honest with checkin times & travelling pretty much anywhere you go you'll have less than 2 hours there.

If you guys wanna go eat something even slightly better than McD's then there is a Denny's not too far away (about 2 miles) which by taxi shouldn't cost too much at all.

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Have Sex 27 times?

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Go outside. Wander around a bit until you get lost in the smog.......
Count Beamers on the freeway.
Count Taco Bell "restaurants"
Try to find a CHP biker without sunglasses and a moustache.
Try to spot a dirty car.
Try to spot dirty anything
Stare at the palm trees and go "ooooh, ahhhh" then realise they're plastic.
Put on a blue bandana and go look for a hood where they all wear red ones.
Plan a trip anywhere without using the freeway.
Wait for rain.
Play spot the dago.

Good evening.
Good one!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:43 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on your trip to NZ by the way. Keep us updated. From all the pics I've seen, NZ is gorgeous. Would love a trip myself one of these days. When are you leaving?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:56 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on your trip to NZ by the way. Keep us updated. From all the pics I've seen, NZ is gorgeous. Would love a trip myself one of these days. When are you leaving?
Thanks Mallory! We leave on the 31st of March, and it can't come soon enough!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Maz, I flew Boston to Aukland via LA earlier this year to visit my daughter. Luggage was checked all the way through and boarding passes issued at Boston. You can pay ($99 I think for the LA to AKL leg) for an upgrade to premium economy. Not a huge difference, but I'd do it again! In fact, I ended up getting the upgrade for nothing. Worth asking anyway!
Have a great trip. I toured for 3 weeks with my daughter who is there on a gap year. Gorgeous country

Can't speak about what to do at the airport - I had the opposite problem, not enough time. I was being paged for the next flight as I landed, so ran like a maniac through the terminal!

Last edited by janj; Mar 12th 2007 at 6:20 pm. Reason: added info
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Leaving the terminal at LAX is a risky move. The airport is a dive, and constantly under renovations here or there, so you never really know what to expect with security or traffic into/out of the airport. For example, if your NZ flight left at 6:00 PM, and you have to get back to the airport between 4-6, well, hope you like having a vacation in your taxi cab...

But if you want, I'd pick something close by in LA, say "Venice Beach" or "The Santa Monica Pier" (been in a few movies) and just go there. Not a great deal to see, but you can get some junk food, see a dirty beach, walk around a bit and stretch before you long flight to NZ. It's not all that far from LAX via cab.

However, really plan ahead for your return to the airport AND you passing through security. Checking your bags all the way through will help, as will getting your boarding passes for the NZ flight at your first airport. Budget a lot of time for your return and you could probably do it.
Flying Air NZ? The terminal that they leave from is TINY - absolutely nothing to do. I agree with the idea to get yourself to Venice Canals.....I think that's prettier than Venice Beach itself, but they are next to each other so u could do both.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:39 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by Maz
Thanks Mallory! We leave on the 31st of March, and it can't come soon enough!
I'll be in LA for a week from March 24th - so will do the Santa Monica bit for you!

I'm also going to visit the The Tudor House that Lionheart gave the link too, it looks great.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

If I were you I would check if you can use the Air New Zealand airline lounge in LA. (The airline should have a freephone number for the USA - see their website).

http://www.airnewzealand.com/default.htm (US site)

Some credit cards allow free use of the lounges (eg. we can use certain ariline lounges with my husband's platinum Amex) and others allow you to use the lounge if you're not a frequent flyer but willing to pay. Continental airlines for example allows use of their lounges for approx $50 to any passenger flying with them who doesn't have FF status or credit card privileges.

Air New Zealand is a member of Star Alliance (I assume you are flying to/from LA with United another Star Alliance member? Perhaps you have FF status with United which may enable you to use the Air NZ lounge?

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trave...al_lounges.htm

When we went to NZ we were wearing trainers and on arrival there our trainers were sterilised at Customs; they don't want any contamination on any soil on your shoes damaging their farmland. I think, like Australia, you can't take in any food either. Are you planning to live on the North Island or the South Island? It's such a beautiful country - yet so many of the natives go and live in Oz!

You have a very tight connection for your return flight...I hope your originating flight from NZ isn't delayed prior to departure!

PS: here is the Skytrax report on Air New Zealand (which I know has a good reputation) .....lots of info if you scroll down on the right hand side where the pink boxes are located:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/NZ.htm

Last edited by Englishmum; Mar 12th 2007 at 7:00 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

maz - is this a rekkie trip or a holiday?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:16 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by janj
Maz, I flew Boston to Aukland via LA earlier this year to visit my daughter. Luggage was checked all the way through and boarding passes issued at Boston. You can pay ($99 I think for the LA to AKL leg) for an upgrade to premium economy. Not a huge difference, but I'd do it again! In fact, I ended up getting the upgrade for nothing. Worth asking anyway!
Have a great trip. I toured for 3 weeks with my daughter who is there on a gap year. Gorgeous country

Can't speak about what to do at the airport - I had the opposite problem, not enough time. I was being paged for the next flight as I landed, so ran like a maniac through the terminal!
I always forget to ask for an upgrade... d'oh! I really must a stop to that behaviour. Where does your daughter live? Any future trips planned?

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Flying Air NZ? The terminal that they leave from is TINY - absolutely nothing to do. I agree with the idea to get yourself to Venice Canals.....I think that's prettier than Venice Beach itself, but they are next to each other so u could do both.
No we're flying Qantas. Air NZ flights were quoted higher, and the flight times were worse, so we went Qantas.

I'll be in LA for a week from March 24th - so will do the Santa Monica bit for you!

I'm also going to visit the The Tudor House that Lionheart gave the link too, it looks great.
Do remember to report back!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If I were you I would check if you can use the Air New Zealand airline lounge in LA. (The airline should have a freephone number for the USA - see their website).

When we went to NZ we were wearing trainers and on arrival there our trainers were sterilised at Customs; they don't want any contamination on any soil on your shoes damaging their farmland. I think, like Australia, you can't take in any food either. Are you planning to live on the North Island or the South Island? It's such a beautiful country - yet so many of the natives go and live in Oz!

You have a very tight connection for your return flight...I hope your originating flight from NZ isn't delayed prior to departure!

PS: here is the Skytrax report on Air New Zealand (which I know has a good reputation) .....lots of info if you scroll down on the right hand side where the pink boxes are located:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/NZ.htm
Definitely another good idea - seeing if we can use the Qantas lounge! I booked the trip on my BA Visa card so got double miles on BA for it as Qantas and BA are both in the OneWorld Alliance - nice!

I remember with the Foot & Mouth outbreaks in the UK, having to go through a footwash. Actually rather nice after being cooped up in a 'plane overnight.

We're going to the North Island. I have 3 interviews lined up in Wellington. No time this time to explore the South Island - we're saving that for future holidays.

Originally Posted by USBound
maz - is this a rekkie trip or a holiday?
Recce! But we are stopping at Taupo for a couple of nights on the way back from Wellington, so will maybe take a helicopter flight and do some other fun stuff. When we're in Auckland I plan to take the "controlled wire descent" off the Sky Tower he he!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

Originally Posted by Maz

Recce! But we are stopping at Taupo for a couple of nights on the way back from Wellington, so will maybe take a helicopter flight and do some other fun stuff. When we're in Auckland I plan to take the "controlled wire descent" off the Sky Tower he he!

He he......you should do what my daughter did and went tandem skydiving in Rotorua.....a bit smelly though due to the sulphur!

When you visit the South island have a go at doing it in Queensland....I did the tandem skydiving with my son and it was breathtaking, one of the most memorable and exhilarating experiences of my life... . Also the Shotover jet boat ride on the river there is great fun, and Milford Sound (although the drive through the tunnel on an unsurfaced road in a large camper van was scary LOL!).

Hmmmmm.....I really ought to visit NZ again..

You should have a good flight with Qantas; my Aussie friends have all recently been on trips home and their new entertainment system is apparently great.

Good luck with the job interviews!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.