Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do I need to buy?

What do I need to buy?

Old Mar 28th 2003, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy measuring jugs at Linen and Things which have the metric and the non metric measurements on them. Same for the kitchen scales.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 7:25 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I haven't been in Linens & Things for ages, probably as we have a Bed, Bath & Beyond nearer to our house. However, I don't go in those shops very often as I frequently find the same stuff (overstocked/discontinued) is on sale in Marshalls or TJ Maxx at deeply discounted prices.

I still find that the duvet covers are *very* expensive in the States and there just is nowhere near the same variety as in the UK. The selection is very poor in Bed, Bath & Beyond and equally poor the last time I went in Linens & Things (about 6 months ago). Actually I did buy a patchwork duvet cover there, made in Indian cotton and it was about $60 for a Queen size in the sale. It fell apart the first time I washed it. I drool every time I'm back 'home' and see all the bedding displays in Debenhams, M&S, Laura Ashley or any dept. store!

The prices are shocking for duvet covers in Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and Crate & Barrel. Duvets and duvet covers just haven't really taken off in the US to the best of my knowledge. We don't have a Strouds here in this part of NJ, so I don't know how the selection and prices compare.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 7:56 pm
SCOTTISH

faybees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Englishmum

Why don't you just make your own out of sheets? I have and it was very successful. Just 3 seams and some velcro.
Old Mar 29th 2003, 2:48 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Englishmum

Originally posted by faybees
Why don't you just make your own out of sheets? I have and it was very successful. Just 3 seams and some velcro.
Actually if you are making your own I have a tip... In Sweden all duvet covers come with a 'hole' at the top, i.e. thay do not sew the seam all the way to the top at the head end of the cover (both sides). This allows you to put your hand into the cover at the top and pull the duvet into the cover properly, so it fits without all that shaking and stuff.

I probably haven't explained that very well but it's a brilliant idea (I don't know whay they don't do it in the UK) and really helps when changing the duvet cover.

The only problem with buying new duvet covers before I come is that I don't know what colours I'll want... we will be renting to begin with and than buying a house after a year or so. So I guess I'll just stick to the ones I have for now.

My Dad did give me 50 quid in M&S vouchers for Christmas - any top tips on what I should spend those on?
Old Mar 29th 2003, 6:01 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Ha ha!

What I'd do for some lovely food from M&S!

Sadly you won't be able to bring in the perishable food but I think I'd use your vouchers to buy lots of pairs of M&S knickers!

I know exactly what you mean about the duvet covers as I have some from IKEA; cheap and cheerful they were as well. But I still love the good quality ones with the high thread-count (percale) which you pay a bit more for in the above mentioned British stores; the cotton is a little stiffer and feels like it's been starched even before ironing it.

Where we live the only place where I've seen material to buy is at Walmart and it's horrible stuff. Just as well as my UK-voltage sewing machine (which was in our shipment from Singapore) would blow up here if I tried to use it in the States!
Old Mar 30th 2003, 2:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum
.... Where we live the only place where I've seen material to buy is at Walmart and it's horrible stuff. Just as well as my UK-voltage sewing machine (which was in our shipment from Singapore) would blow up here if I tried to use it in the States!
Are you ever going to quit whinging?

BTW (i) Your British sewing machine wouldn't "blow up" if you tried to use it on US mains voltage. The voltage here is only half that of the UK - it would just run very slowly/ sluggishly, if at all.

(ii) You can buy a transformer ("step-up") that would make your sewing machine run just fine. Try dvdoverseas.com. They have a large range of power transformers at very reasonable prices, from less than $20. Just make sure that you buy one that is good for a little more power than the appliances you are going to use it for need. E.g. 500w for a 300w-400w appliance.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 30th 2003 at 3:12 am.
Old Mar 30th 2003, 4:45 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Simple transformers often don't really work for appliances which have motors instead of just heating elements. This is because the voltages are not only different in the US but also the phases, 240w power is available here but is tri-phasic as opposed to dual phase. Also in many areas the ampage is limited to 15 amps - running 220-240w appliances can cause the fuses to burn out.
Old Mar 30th 2003, 2:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
Simple transformers often don't really work for appliances which have motors instead of just heating elements. This is because the voltages are not only different in the US but also the phases, 240w power is available here but is tri-phasic as opposed to dual phase. Also in many areas the ampage is limited to 15 amps - running 220-240w appliances can cause the fuses to burn out.
What you've said is partially true, but I think somewhat confused.

A transformer will take US 110V mains and transform it to 220V mains. That is all single phase, however it will remain 60Hz current (as opposed to British 50Hz mains), so the motor will spin a little faster. (I guess that this may be a problem with a sewing machine, but as a sewing machine motor has a variable speen control anyway, so probably not.(?))

What you have said is, I think, correct for 240V appliances. You can't take a British single phase 220V appliance and expect it to work on American 240V if it has a motor as US 220V is three phase.

As far as current goes, a 500W appliance is a 500W appliance, and the power required to run it (the input to the appliance/ transformer) will be exactly the same .... because the transformer takes power and reduces the current in exactly the same proportion that it increases the voltage.

Stated in equation form:

Input Current x Input Voltage = Output Current x Output voltage

Now if we take an example of a 440W appliance:

If the input supply is 110V and the appliance is drawing 2 Amps from the transformer i.e. at 220V, we can restate the equation:

Input current x 110V = 2 Amps x 220V

=> Input current = (2x220)/110

Which means that the input current is 4 Amps, but to run an American 440Watt appliance on US 110V mains you would need 4 Amps anyway.
Old Mar 30th 2003, 5:52 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Yes it is garbled ( when tired my brain tends to do that sometimes). What I was trying to say was that as the ampage here is limited to 15 amps on a 110w input many appliances designed to run on 220-240 input would burn out the fuses. For instance my old Dualit 2kw kettle, Dyson Vacum cleaner and expresso machine. Even my dualit toaster needed to be converted to diferent heating elements. The effective limit here is 1.5kw on 110w. So - to run them I'd have to use the 220-240w inputs - but I can't use anything with a motor on that as it is tri-phasic. It's very limited too, mostly only available on a few sockets in the house, designed for cookers etc.

Last edited by lairdside; Mar 31st 2003 at 8:45 am.
Old Mar 30th 2003, 5:55 pm
Howling at the Moon

The expresso machine's pump and the vacum cleaner also wouldn't have been too happy on 60Hz as opposed to 50Hz...lol
Old Mar 31st 2003, 8:21 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lairdside
Yes it is garbled ( when tired my brain tends to do that sometimes). What I was trying to say was that as the ampage here is limited to 15 amps on a 110w input many appliances designed to run on 220-240 input would burn out the fuses. For instance my old Dualit 2kw kettle, Dyson Vacum cleaner and expresso machine. Even my dualit toaster needed to be converted to diferent heating elements. The effective limit here is 1.5kw on 110w. So - to run them I'd have to use the 220-220w inputs - but I can't use anything with a motor on that as it is tri-phasic. It's very limited to, mostly only available on a few sockets in the house, designed for cookers etc.
I have been watching with interest your discussion about the differences with the electricity. I am moving to the US in the summer from Sweden (same electricity as the UK with different plugs) and I'm wondering which of my household items are going to work and which I should sell before I go.

Have I got this right:

The washing machine and tumble dryer won't work
The toaster won't work
The hoovers (I have a dyson upright and electrolux pull along) won't work
my dual coffee expresso machine won't work
???

Is there anything that will work?

Any advice will be appreciated - Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2003, 1:49 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

2 cents on the Electrickery!

I borrowed a step down transformer before I shipped my stuff and tested the stuff I needed to test to see if it would work on 110v. The other thing I did is check is the safety label on everything electrical - this is the easiest way - it will tell you over what electrical tolerance the appliance will will work

eg 220 - 240V (Won't work)
100 - 250V (Will work)

This will save you a lot of hassle and will only take you 2 minutes and change of plug at the other end. BTW your washing machine will work in the US as all washing machines work on 240V - you can wire up other outlets from the washing machine outlet if you want 240v (but why bother - buy yourself a new one)

Patrick
Old Apr 1st 2003, 2:35 am

Originally posted by Emm
..... Is there anything that will work?

Any advice will be appreciated - Thanks
Hi Emm, it's me again!

I wouldn't seriously recommend that you bring anything electrical, unless you are seriously attached to it, as the cost of shipping and buying a transformer barely makes it worth the effort. It might, for example, be worth you bringing your Dyson (and getting a transformer for it - I'd go for a "Deluxe Voltage Converter" for ordinary machines, or a "Voltage Stabilizer" for hi-fi equipment of computers) as it is a great machine, so I hear.

The only exception might be your computer as I understand that many have a switch on the back that allows them to work on 110 and 220V. Ditto for the screen.

I brought my stereo amplifier and CD player and they work perfectly off a step-down transformer/stablizer, but they are top-of-the-range stuff. I've also brought my hammer drill as hammer drills are uncommon in the US and expensive too (because most houses are primarily of timber construction).

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 1st 2003 at 10:48 am.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

My advice bring no electronics, other then maybe PC if new, HiFi if top of the line & 110/220v.
I have ben here since mid 80's, still have boxes in my brothers x2 loft UK. Every time I go back to Blighty, I give away some more. Just gave away a full set of LeCrueset pots.

If you want to really make it here, join in "When In Rome".

Reg. Frank R.

They are big kids at heart, try & roll along with them. I had a great life in UK & a much much better one here. I go back to UK at least once or twice per year, use to be for 4 weeks, now a week is more then enough.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 6:55 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by frrussre
My advice bring no electronics, other then maybe PC if new, HiFi if top of the line & 110/220v.
I have ben here since mid 80's, still have boxes in my brothers x2 loft UK. Every time I go back to Blighty, I give away some more. Just gave away a full set of LeCrueset pots.

If you want to really make it here, join in "When In Rome".

Reg. Frank R.

They are big kids at heart, try & roll along with them. I had a great life in UK & a much much better one here. I go back to UK at least once or twice per year, use to be for 4 weeks, now a week is more then enough.
Big kids is about right.. my husband is about 6 in his opinion, I'd say 4 was nearer to the mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.