Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do expats miss from the UK

What do expats miss from the UK

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do expats miss from the UK

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
In general, people are much better drivers in the UK than they are here in Florida.
You are not kidding there, by far the worst standard of driving I've seen pretty much anywhere. I feel safer in Mediterranean countries with all the lunatics racing ferarris up and down mountain passes on motorbikes than I do here. I think the traffic laws have got a lot to answer for as well personally.

Stupid 4 way stops, where plenty of local people don't know whose turn it is, stupid "overtake in any lane laws" - I thought it would be great - but after you come up time and time again to a load of cars going the exact same speed in all lanes thus blocking the road, you don't realise how much worse it really is, not to mention the daily amount of near side swiping incidents it causes; rude and obnoxious drivers, always seems to be someone jumping in front of you, cutting you off, never letting you in etc! Stupid speed limits in places, stupid "boy racers" whose idea of a race is to accelerate from 40 mph to 100mph then slow down (how gay is that!). Stupid "openings in the middle of a 6-8 lane road" - everyone gets stuck in the middle of the road trying to go every which way - stupid laws where motorbikes are not allowed to filter through traffic (no point in having a bike here!) the list goes on!

Stupid I tell, just stupid!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I just remembered one thing I really miss. English loos. I keep bunging the American loos up. It's not that my big jobbies are especially big, it's just that they seem so prone to being bunged up.
Perhaps that is food related.

I miss decent Indian food too, but I have recipies on file
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I also miss Caffreys and Tangle Foot, don't miss the cost though, and local micro brews here are good though, but still miss them...oh and cordial drinks...
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:13 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Dave (I presume) - what part of TN are you living in?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:14 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dan725
You are not kidding there, by far the worst standard of driving I've seen pretty much anywhere. I feel safer in Mediterranean countries with all the lunatics racing ferarris up and down mountain passes on motorbikes than I do here. I think the traffic laws have got a lot to answer for as well personally.

Stupid 4 way stops, where plenty of local people don't know whose turn it is, stupid "overtake in any lane laws" - I thought it would be great - but after you come up time and time again to a load of cars going the exact same speed in all lanes thus blocking the road, you don't realise how much worse it really is, not to mention the daily amount of near side swiping incidents it causes; rude and obnoxious drivers, always seems to be someone jumping in front of you, cutting you off, never letting you in etc! Stupid speed limits in places, stupid "boy racers" whose idea of a race is to accelerate from 40 mph to 100mph then slow down (how gay is that!). Stupid "openings in the middle of a 6-8 lane road" - everyone gets stuck in the middle of the road trying to go every which way - stupid laws where motorbikes are not allowed to filter through traffic (no point in having a bike here!) the list goes on!

Stupid I tell, just stupid!
Bloody 'ell....just arm yourself with a Panzerfaust
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

I just remembered one thing I really miss. English loos. I keep bunging the American loos up. It's not that my big jobbies are especially big, it's just that they seem so prone to being bunged up.

lol - I never knew what the whole aisle of plungers was for in Home Depot until we had guests from the UK - you know how it is when you've been on a plane for 11 hours :scared:
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:30 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Dave (I presume) - what part of TN are you living in?
I'm in eAst TN..... K-Town to be precise - how about you ?....
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone
Bloody 'ell....just arm yourself with a Panzerfaust
Lol , one of them would come in handy driving between Tampa and Orlando
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:48 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dan725
Lol , one of them would come in handy driving between Tampa and Orlando
Wouldn't wish that on anyone....
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:45 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I4... the biggest car park in the state.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:20 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
I'm in eAst TN..... K-Town to be precise - how about you ?....
NashVegas

was in the home of big orange at the weekend, unfortunately picking uo the flu in the process

are you at school there or did you manage to find a job?

anyway - more on topic -

I miss fresh ready meals from m & s and sainsburys
cheese with flavour
proper bacon and sausage
decent chocco - even the godiva stuff that is $3 a bar tastes crap

i don't miss

high petrol prices
high cost of housing
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

I miss:

Bread that doesn't taste sweet
Walkers crisps
Toilet doors that fit properly and don't have gaps around the edges!
Fairy Liquid - made the mistake of asking for that our first week here....very amusing response from the kid at the till
Short TV adverts
Sausages
My Mum

I don't miss:

Traffic Jams
Expensive Houses
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:19 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Know what you mean. I've become an expert at unplugging bogs with a big plunger. Big jobbies or no.

I miss;

rolling English countryside.
sheep
English bitter......boohoo
Nights out down the cosy pub with my brother and sis in law
little english villages every few miles
warm weather (i'm in NH.....the snow in winter is enough to drive me round the U bend)

Things I like about the US;

The Science Channel!!....and the History Channel....you just dont get that sort of quality TV regularly in the UK.
My wife

btw - anyone come across 'lounge pants' yet? Seen 'em for sale at Wally world. They're just boxer shorts really....so guys can wear them and feel sophisticated about sitting around the house in their underpants.

Toot!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Know what you mean. I've become an expert at unplugging bogs with a big plunger. Big jobbies or no.

I miss;

rolling English countryside.
sheep
English bitter......boohoo
Nights out down the cosy pub with my brother and sis in law
little english villages every few miles
warm weather (i'm in NH.....the snow in winter is enough to drive me round the U bend)

Things I like about the US;

The Science Channel!!....and the History Channel....you just dont get that sort of quality TV regularly in the UK.
My wife

btw - anyone come across 'lounge pants' yet? Seen 'em for sale at Wally world. They're just boxer shorts really....so guys can wear them and feel sophisticated about sitting around the house in their underpants.

Toot!
The countryside where we are in Pennsylvania is very much like the English countryside - no sheep though but lots of cows and their calves in the fields. I miss the spring flowers in everyone's gardens - the yards here are so big and mostly unfenced - I miss a nice little fenced garden.

BTW, I used to get the Science and History channel in the UK - SKY TV had all the same channels we get here on cable.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:00 pm
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Anyone else in central PA like moi?

I miss - My mum, my old gym, food and pavements everywhere.

Don't miss - my brother, shite wages, not being able to afford anything.
We are in eastern PA not far from New Jersey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.