Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do ?!

What to do ?!

Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:19 am
Just Joined

nitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to all
Default What to do ?!

Hi people, quick question for ya!

I am 20 years old and am at a loss as to which career path to take, the choice is either Nursing or IT, which one would give me the better chance of getting into America? or if there are any other routes that people suggest, im all ears! Bricklaying perhaps?

Do i continue with the Computer science degree which im suppsed to start next week?

OR do i wait till March and begin a Nursing Degree!

Thanks for any info,

Let the newbie bashing commence

Martin
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:42 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do ?!

Originally Posted by nitram100
Hi people, quick question for ya!

I am 20 years old and am at a loss as to which career path to take, the choice is either Nursing or IT, which one would give me the better chance of getting into America? or if there are any other routes that people suggest, im all ears! Bricklaying perhaps?

Do i continue with the Computer science degree which im suppsed to start next week?

OR do i wait till March and begin a Nursing Degree!

Thanks for any info,

Let the newbie bashing commence

Martin
I'll leave out the obligatory newbie bashing, and all the obvious questions about why you're planning your future based on the input of a bunch of strangers online, and why you'd want to plan your future around a subject that you're not really interested in, just because it'll get you into the US...

...and tell you that Nursing will get you into the US now much easier than IT, but that could all change by the time you graduate.

The US (and everywhere else) is stuffed with qualified IT people, but has a shortage of nurses.

It's still insane to plan your life like this. Do what interests you. If it doesn't interest you, you'll never be good enough at it to be worth a damn to anyone.

Oh, and...

"Not another f***ing student!"

(Sorry, that last bit's compulsory here)
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'll leave out the obligatory newbie bashing, and all the obvious questions about why you're planning your future based on the input of a bunch of strangers online, and why you'd want to plan your future around a subject that you're not really interested in, just because it'll get you into the US...
)
I totally concur ........

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Bizarre....I would have thought it better to plan your career based on what you liked best not what may get you into another country at some point in the future.

Howver not to offer advice but nursed currently will get you a green card if you are succesful ans pass various tests and personal requirements. Before you can apply you will need at least 2-3 years post graduation full time clinical experience.

PS nursing in the US sucks generally.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also vote Nursing.

Good for most countries you might want to move to.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:35 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

I would also say Nursing. I am in IT and there is a big surplus of qualified personel here. Also most H1B's tend to be given to Indians. There is also the risk of offshoring. The pay and hours for nursing might be suckier but I think you would stand more chance of getting employed.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

nitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to allnitram100 is a name known to all

Hey guys, thanks alot for the info, much appreciated!

In regards to a couple of replys, i wouldnt be just doing nursing to get into america because i agree also about how wrong it would be pursuing a career i have no interest in solely for the purpose of emigrating!

My interest in IT is just as much as Nursing, same goes for bricklaying, i enjoy doing that also! I just wanted to get the lowdown on which one will give me the best chances of emigrating to USA.

I did read about H1B and it did look like it would be the only way for me to get into america through IT, which was a downer because they seem to be very hard to get hold of! especially with the Indians who have masters degrees, mcse's, ccna's etc and shed loads of experience!

Also with the nursing if it turns out that america is still beyond my reach, there is always Oz! as far as i know it is just a case of having your skills assessed by the relevant authority or a tiny bit more study and sitting an exam and as far as pay and hours go, that wouldnt bother me to be honest, money isnt the driving factor with me, i need very little to survive!

thanks again guys!

martin
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nitram100
H I just wanted to get the lowdown on which one will give me the best chances of emigrating to USA. ........... if it turns out that america is still beyond my reach, there is always Oz!

martin

Anything to get out of Britain eh?
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira

Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: What to do ?!

Originally Posted by dbj1000

...and tell you that Nursing will get you into the US now much easier than IT, but that could all change by the time you graduate.

The US (and everywhere else) is stuffed with qualified IT people, but has a shortage of nurses.

It's still insane to plan your life like this. Do what interests you. If it doesn't interest you, you'll never be good enough at it to be worth a damn to anyone.

Oh, and...

"Not another f***ing student!"

(Sorry, that last bit's compulsory here)
Bad news on the nursing front im afraid
as you are wanting to train to be a nurse then im afraid you have no chance of getting to the usa! as the new style of training doesnt allow you enough hours in certain areas which would enable you to practice in the USA
sorry
maybe being a doctor is a good idea
or OZ
now, if you were a nurse already, that would have been a different story
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
His young blesshim
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
Bad news on the nursing front im afraid
as you are wanting to train to be a nurse then im afraid you have no chance of getting to the usa! as the new style of training doesnt allow you enough hours in certain areas which would enable you to practice in the USA
sorry
maybe being a doctor is a good idea
or OZ
now, if you were a nurse already, that would have been a different story

Just to add that whilst at Uni you may be able to sort the hours required that will meet the US requirements
Old Sep 18th 2006, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britvic
His young blesshim

Thanks for the info guys!

That is a bit worrying about the new requirements, i think some more research is in order! or maybe i should go to the US and find me a lovely american girl!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I'm not an attorney, blah, blah, but did they not stop giving out Green Card's for nurses?
Old Sep 18th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I'm not an attorney, blah, blah, but did they not stop giving out Green Card's for nurses?
not yet but there will be a delay from november called retrogression because they have run out of the 50000 issued

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.