Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Fashion food drink ? those are selective and more of a thing one is USED to are they not ?
banking, electronics, for example you've just got sim cards here
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

But can land you in jail if worthless
haha they've got to catch you if they can and how much does that cost the retailers...so easy to use a debit card and so much quicker...wake up peeps
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I thought it would be advanced. Amazed how many forms you have to fill out for everything and how poorly laid-out they are. Banking is very primitive. My 12 year old had a current account back in England but can't here. Health provision is so cumbersome. Smear test means 5 mins with the nurse in England. Here I need at least 2 months notice for a going-over by the doctor. I didn't realise how bad things like homelessness were. I knew they had a lot of commercials but was still surprised by the number, intensity and crapness of them. Radio stations play the same handful of songs approved by advertisers.

I thought women would be more liberated than us, but many seem to be in the 1950s as far as pleasing their men and being obsessed with appearance and houshold gadgets goes.

Didn't realize drinking alcohol was pretty much a no-no.

I did think there would be a lot of cops leaping over their vehicles and saying "Make My Day", and that things would be bigger, which is generally true.

I think a lot of people here have an idealized view of Britain which would be rudely shattered if they visited. "All English people speak correctly don't they?", "I would love to see all the beautifully stylish outfits you guys wear" I don't think they would be prepared for how crowded a lot of places are, meagre food portions when eating out and plain grubbiness like chewing gum on streets, cracked pavements, dog poo, litter.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Before you ever moved or visited, what images popped into your head when you thought about life over here? Cowboys and indians? Red carpet celebrities? Racist bible thumping rednecks? Amber waves of grain? A nation without poor?

I'll admit that when I think of England I think of the typical touristy stuff, Red phone booths, double decker busses, gray misty weather, everybody carrying an umbrella, Dickensonian urchins groveling in the streets, (I'll be very dissapointed if I ever visit and there are no urchins!) narrow roads and tiny cars. I figure my perceptions are about 5 decades off (Thanks Disney!) if not more... Of course, having never been there, and not seeing much of the "real" modern England in the media here, my perceptions were formed by all the old Disney stuff to an extent. Being a member here is helping to change that, of course...

Kind of an odd question I know, but it's early, I'm curious and I think the answers will be interesting. To me anyway.
I personally never liked USA (Several visits), certainly not to live.
Some reasons:
Did not like, Americans aggressive "Take no prisoners" attitude. They tend to smile at you, whilst dipping into your pockets. Hate bible punchers. Most Americans are the worst dressed people in the world. Disgustingly large plates of food.
Moved here for my dearly beloved "She who must be obeyed". I have grown to like the bits that "Suit" me & try to ignore the rest. I became a USC & have no intentions, of returning to Blighty, in the near or distant future. Guess I like some things about the place.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:09 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Providing even basic necessities like a regular and uninterrupted electrical supply to homes and businesses seems to be a fairly fundamental one

Not wanting an arguement by any means but........Far behind in what ?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pony
Providing even basic necessities like a regular and uninterrupted electrical supply to homes and businesses seems to be a fairly fundamental one
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

Water heaters you just leave on all the time.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Fashion food drink ? those are selective and more of a thing one is USED to are they not ?
It's called argument by assertion.

Wish someone would tell my wife the fashions are behind the times, maybe she'd spend less time here.
Attached Thumbnails What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?-san-francisco-bloomingdales.jpg  
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Programmable heating and cooling thermostats.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
haha they've got to catch you if they can and how much does that cost the retailers...so easy to use a debit card and so much quicker...wake up peeps
am sure the majority do use their debit cards... you mean no one writes checks ....sorry cheques back in Blighty ....... and surely Burberry is NOT a fashion statement STILL ?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:19 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I have seen on demand types, but they aren't cheap...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

am sure the majority do use their debit cards... you mean no one writes checks ....sorry cheques back in Blighty ....... and surely Burberry is NOT a fashion statement STILL ?
When I first came to live here no one used a debit card...yet I'd been using one for years in the UK.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally
Although extravagant it is nice not to ask 'is there enough hot water left for a bath'.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Britain has an uninterrupted electrical supply to homes? When did that happen?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Although extravagant it is nice not to ask 'is there enough hot water left for a bath'.
True

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.