Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What did you do your first day in america?

What did you do your first day in america?

Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:49 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of
Default What did you do your first day in america?

So I am less than a week away from my arrival in the usa as a 30 year old Irish man. I am looking forward to going, but I wonder what did you do your first day/week/month in the usa? I am kinka shitting it ………. I know no one over there!!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:53 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you do your first day in america?

Originally Posted by starky
So I am less than a week away from my arrival in the usa as a 30 year old Irish man. I am looking forward to going, but I wonder what did you do your first day/week/month in the usa? I am kinka shitting it ………. I know no one over there!!
had been to the USA on holiday before but on my first day as an actual US resident my Mrs and I went to the top of the Empire State Building in the evening to look at the city lights. All very romantic, you might think, except it was November and 'kin freezing up there.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts are you going in the US. If you are in the NYC area, you won't be lonely for lots of Irish pubs and other Irishmen and women.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived at 615pm after a long flight and the usual grilling at Immigration over why we were here ?.A bit of a bottle tester even though we were all straight with the required paperwork but... We were met at the Airport and taken for a meal by our companys meet and greet rep,who was loud but fabulous.We cant remember much and after a good sleep of 8 hours, off like headless chickens to sort out our social security cards which had been messed up by the SS prior to our arrival.Then off to see the apartment we had rented and sign all the papers,then off to get,bedding,pillows,bits of food and cutlery etc,all time comsuming.Then off to get our rental car so we had some independence from our m & g rep.A thousand and one things which are now a blurr to be honest, but if you have done your homework and organised a list of essential items to be complted, you will be fine.Everything will drop into place although you will still be bemused for at least a month until the major things are completed. I will say this the folks on here are tremendous ,joking aside for advice as they understand 'been there done that' etc,ask for help they dont bite... much ! Best Wishes and welcome to the lunatic asylym that is the USA
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:12 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember my first 3 months, let alone my first day! It was all a blur of new places, new job, new apartment and spending lots and lots of money...
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:23 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I don't remember my first 3 months, let alone my first day! It was all a blur of new places, new job, new apartment and spending lots and lots of money...
Interesting, I have been reading your …. At best full of sarcasm posts for the last few months.. can it be you have some nostalgia of your first few days in the US??? Or are you just a real softy at heart?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:28 am
Boston Sep 15th

Originally Posted by Rete
Whereabouts are you going in the US. If you are in the NYC area, you won't be lonely for lots of Irish pubs and other Irishmen and women.
boston!! full of irish no doubt
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

we were the last ones off the plane, and, consequently, the last ones through Immigration. The Immigration people at Phoenix Sky Harbour were really, really friendly, I couldn't believe it.
The city Manager and his secretary were waiting for us, we were loaded into a car and taken to Carrabbas for a meal, the City Manager's wife joined us. We were exhausted, went back to their place and slept through a thunderstorm. Next day, found a house, sorted out my SS number, put offer on house. Met my new colleagues at City Hall, a real whirlwind of a day.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:43 am
Boston Sep 15th

Originally Posted by geeandtee
we were the last ones off the plane, and, consequently, the last ones through Immigration. The Immigration people at Phoenix Sky Harbour were really, really friendly, I couldn't believe it.
The city Manager and his secretary were waiting for us, we were loaded into a car and taken to Carrabbas for a meal, the City Manager's wife joined us. We were exhausted, went back to their place and slept through a thunderstorm. Next day, found a house, sorted out my SS number, put offer on house. Met my new colleagues at City Hall, a real whirlwind of a day.
wow sounds like a big day all around! glad it was a good exp. for you!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:47 am
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

wow sounds like a big day all around! glad it was a good exp. for you!
after the full body cavity search...
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:48 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we arrived after long delays in chicago due to weather absolutly exhausted with the 2 small kids - so we just collapsed at the hotel (it was 3-4 am iirc).

next day we did some food shopping so we could have breakfast and snacks etc at the hotel (suite had a tiny kitchen) and then went to see another recent expat (same firm as my husband but 2-3 months ahead of us) in their new home - and picked up a large duffle bag of stuff we had left with them at the end of our househunting trip a month or so before (ie we left some clothes and toiletries and kitchen bits behind on the househunting trip so we could bring full suitcases over this time and have a bit more variety until the freight arrived etc).
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:03 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Like Elfman, I'd visited the US several times before I moved here.

After all the immigration business at the airport, on leaving the building I'll never forget feeling like I'd stepped into an oven. It was probably 100F that day in May 2002 and it was hot and humid. Not at all like London.

The first week was spent living in a hotel and in the daytime, we were occupied with getting the practical stuff sorted out like finding a place to live, buying a car, opening a bank account, getting driver's licenses, etc.

Within the week, we'd signed a rental agreement on an apartment so we were also furniture shopping and arranging for our shipment from the UK to be delivered to our new "home".

My spouse also began working at his new job (same employer but new position in a new location).
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I spent the first night fighting off the advances of hot American women who were eager for a go with an exotic foreigner.

Funny, but I don't normally remember my dreams.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:11 am
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I spent the first night fighting off the advances of hot American women who were eager for a go with an exotic foreigner.

Funny, but I don't normally remember my dreams.
Aren't they locally known as hookers?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
after the full body cavity search...
awww, go on, you're just jealous 'cos you didn't get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.