Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are customs regulations for somebody moving back to the US after living abroad?

What are customs regulations for somebody moving back to the US after living abroad?

Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:21 am
Just Joined

sawan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are customs regulations for somebody moving back to the US after living abroad?

I am moving back to the United States after living abroad. When I was moving away (8 months ago) I hired a freight company and had all my things (1 container) shipped abroad. I plan to do the same now.

My question is... now that I am coming back to the States what are the USA regulations as far as bringing my things back? What paperwork do I have to fill out and what documentation do I need to have.

Any advice would be sooooo appreciated!!! Thanks!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:51 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are customs regulations for somebody moving back to the US after living abro

Your shipping company should give you customs paperwork to complete. Keep a copy - my company didn't manage to relay it to the stateside receiving port and I had to complete a second set once it was here.

Generally anything that you have owned for a while (I forget if it's 6 months or a year) is considered personal posessions and does not have a customs duty. If you have anything newer than that you might be charged. And of course anything you carry on the plane with you will go through the usual customs procedure, and again you may be liable for duty on any new purchases, but you're given a free pass for up to (I believe) $800 of goods per person for things you carry with you.