Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are the chances of a tax investigation after paying tax and then leaving the UK?

What are the chances of a tax investigation after paying tax and then leaving the UK?

Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:53 am
Just Joined

ziggee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the chances of a tax investigation after paying tax and then leaving the UK?

I have a full time job arranged in the US and want to leave the UK with a clean slate, and pay all my dues before I go.

A few years back I had a relatively minor investigation, but nothing much came of it. It was a horrible experience though, and I wouldn't like to go through that again especially being hundreds of miles away! The revenue really do make you feel like a criminal.

I am currently self employed.

Thanks for any info.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the chances of a tax investigation after paying tax and then leaving the

Not too sure about the tax implications, but was just curious about your visa situation? You say you have a full time job arranged, what visa do you have to go along with that?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Walkingpenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What are the chances of a tax investigation after paying tax and then leaving the

Originally Posted by ziggee
I have a full time job arranged in the US and want to leave the UK with a clean slate, and pay all my dues before I go.

A few years back I had a relatively minor investigation, but nothing much came of it. It was a horrible experience though, and I wouldn't like to go through that again especially being hundreds of miles away! The revenue really do make you feel like a criminal.

I am currently self employed.

Thanks for any info.
If you have moved to the US how would they seek to enforce any findings? Would they instruct foreign lawyers if you owed them £50? I doubt it.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

medici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud of

I guess its unlikely, especially if you are going to actually pay the tax. It may be different if you just walked away!