Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is car registration?

What is car registration?

Old May 1st 2009, 8:58 pm
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future
Default What is car registration?

I know that we have to get our cars checked each year for emissions.
I know we have to pay for our license plate each year.
I know we have to pay for our driving license each year (but resent it).

So what is car registration for and what are the documents that go with this procedure? I own a car but really don't know what this is for or where/when I have registered my car. What do I produce to show I have registered my car?
Old May 1st 2009, 9:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is car registration?

Originally Posted by Sonic5

So what is car registration for and what are the documents that go with this procedure? I own a car but really don't know what this is for or where/when I have registered my car. What do I produce to show I have registered my car?
But you didn't know that with 50 state and some odds and ends, we have more than 50 sets of practices?
Old May 1st 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Vehicle registration is the state's way of controlling and tracking vehicles that are on the road and raising revenue in the process.

In most states you pay the state money and they give you a little piece of paper called (surprise, surprise) the "vehicle registration document" and a sticker to put on your license plate that shows that the registration is valid up to a certain date.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But you didn't know that with 50 state and some odds and ends, we have more than 50 sets of practices?
Sadly, even more than that, because some states don't have emissions testing except in certain metro areas. Texas and Colorado spring to mind (mostly because I've never had a car registered elsewhere other than in Germany)
Old May 1st 2009, 9:51 pm
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by md95065
the "vehicle registration document" and a sticker to put on your license plate that shows that the registration is valid up to a certain date.
I do not remember ever receiving have such a document.

Also, my sticker says my emission test is up in April 09 but I have not received a reminder or anything about this and forgot about it to be honest.

Am getting it done tomorrow.
Old May 1st 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Also, my sticker says my emission test is up in April 09 but I have not received a reminder or anything about this and forgot about it to be honest.

I don't think you're gonna /get/ a reminder for emissions test. They trust you to be able to read those large numbers on the sticker and interpret their meaning all by yourself
Old May 1st 2009, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sticker for registration depends on the state, some go in the window, some go on the plate, usually a number to represent year and the plate has the month on it.

The emissions could also be called an inspection sticker, which in Mass is emissions one year, body check the next....and yeah, you won't get a reminder about it.

You might get a reminder about the registration though, we do in Mass so you can pay online, but we didn't up in Maine.

Also you might have a town registration/tax to pay.

And where do you live that you need to renew your drivers license each year? Most states it's between 5-10 years...

Oh, and registering the car, chances are, you show the title which you either pay for or the lein holder holds, so you show a copy, a copy of your insurance and sometimes another form of proof your resident of the state like a drivers license or bill etc.
Old May 1st 2009, 10:36 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

In Tennessee when you register a car you have to pay the tax on it which is usually an extortionate amount. I bought my last car in Alabama so despite getting the majority of the tax put in to the finance plan I still had to pay another $200 when I registered it in Tennessee as they have different tax rules Glad we don't have to faff around renewing our license every year here, it's every 5 years supposedly.

Last edited by SpoogleDrummer; May 1st 2009 at 10:51 pm. Reason: Typo
Old May 1st 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I bought my last cat in Alabama so despite getting the majority of the tax put in to the finance plan I still had to pay another $200 when I registered it in Tennessee as they have different tax rules
There is no such thing as a bloody Cat license!
Old May 1st 2009, 10:54 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

As others have said, it all depends on which state you live in.. check the DMV website for your state.

eg in California, you have emissions checked every other year (which exceptions of new cars), and have to provide proof that it has passed in order to get your new registration.
Here, you get sent a reminder in the mail that your registration (and licence plates) is due for payment approx 6 weeks before it is due.
When you are all paid up you get a new sticker to put on your licence plate (which will indicate to you and others that you have paid, and when it all is next due), and a piece of paper called your registration document which you keep in the glove box.

When you purchased your car, (if from a dealership), you would have been given a temporary registration document, and they would have told you to (or they would have done on your behalf) go to the DMV and register your car. You would need the log book (i think thats what its called), showing proof of ownership.

We don't have to pay for our driving licence every year here!
Old May 1st 2009, 10:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Here the registration renewal papers come at least a month ahead in the mail.
I just got the renewal for Dh car, not due till the end of June. Most of CA has smog checks, we don't Probably the only good thing about the boonies, smog needed for sale of vehicle only.
Are you sure the vehicle registration was changed to your name when you bought it? Did you turn in paperwork to DMV where you are?
Old May 1st 2009, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

First and only time we have ever been pulled over by a cop here (touching wood) was when we were in CO, they stopped us for expired registration sticker, it was brand new, but their computer didn't show the new sticker having been paid for? (even though it was on the car) They noticed the Co address on the insurance card and then decided to threaten us with a fine for not changing to Co plates (still had IL ones)
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They don't send you reminders. It is your responsibility to keep your vehicle up-to-date with emissions and registration and insurance.

Registration varies from state to state. In NYS we register the car once every two years. You pay the fee and receive a sticker that is placed on the windshield, lower right, next to the inspection sticker that is obtained at the garage where your car is inspected.

Our licenses are good for ten years.
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:23 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a car title? When it was transferred to you, did you take the title to the DMV?
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:29 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Often times the registration is 'attached' to the license plates that you get. It's on a stick-on envelope or something (note: don't throw out the plastic / envelope that the plates come in until you look closely to make sure it really is junk).

Driving your car without a registration inside it is a big no-no. I think technically you'll get a ticket but will be *required* to make a court appearance (i.e. no answer by mail). As always it depends on the state, but driving without a) a drivers license, b) proof of insurance, and c) a copy of your registration is not a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.