what can I do?

what can I do?

Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

blue_chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what can I do?

Hi there,

One question want your helpy,

My boyfriend got his green card this month, so he can go back home and get married with me, but due to the US immigration law, greedcard's wife have to wait for three year and then go to the States. That's a long time for us. And since any kind of visa is difficult to get in my homeland, Shanghai, China. it might be difficult for us to see offten, this is too bad.... So I am thinking of getting married first and then applying F1 visa by myself, by this way I can go to US in a short time.

But I am not sure whether it is a good way for us, some people said if we got married before the F1 visa interview, it will have a bad effect on the application, coz visa officer will treat we with immigration intention. But if we didn't ger married, VO will still think i have immigration intention. F1 visa in China is the most difficult one to get, so many students are rejected every day...

So what can we do then? Does this mean we have no way to be together in a short time, and have to waitting for long long three years? Who can tell me...

Thanks for your kind reply!!

[email protected]
Old Aug 21st 2002, 3:14 pm
Joachim Feise

Default Re: what can I do?

blue_chris wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > One question want your helpy,
    > My boyfriend got his green card this month, so he can go back home and get married
    > with me, but due to the US immigration law, greedcard's wife have to wait for three
    > year and then go to the States.

Three years? Rather 5-6 years.

> That's a long time for us. And since any kind of visa is difficult to get in my
    > homeland, Shanghai, China. it might be difficult for us to see offten, this is too
    > bad.... So I am thinking of getting married first and then applying F1 visa by
    > myself, by this way I can go to US in a short time.
    > But I am not sure whether it is a good way for us, some people said if we got
    > married before the F1 visa interview, it will have a bad effect on the application,
    > coz visa officer will treat we with immigration intention.

Yes. For the F-1, you need to demonstrate ties to your home country. You also have to
have the intent to go back to your home country after finishing your studies.
Unlikely if you are married to a PR. Result: denial.

> But if we didn't ger married, VO will still think i have immigration intention.

Yes. The same as above applies.

> F1 visa in China is the most difficult one to get, so many students are rejected
    > every day...
    > So what can we do then? Does this mean we have no way to be together in a short
    > time, and have to waitting for long long three years? Who can tell me...

Unfortunately, yes. I have heard of people in this situation who actually gave up
their Greencards to be with their spouse.

-Joe

Old Aug 21st 2002, 6:36 pm
Chong

I know if your bf is a US citizen, you dont have to wait that long to get your GR.

Either way, anyone who is from China or India is hard to do business with the INS. I
dont know why.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:42:55 +0000, blue_chris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi there,
    >One question want your helpy,
    >My boyfriend got his green card this month, so he can go back home and get married
    >with me, but due to the US immigration law, greedcard's wife have to wait for three
    >year and then go to the States. That's a long time for us. And since any kind of
    >visa is difficult to get in my homeland, Shanghai, China. it might be difficult for
    >us to see offten, this is too bad.... So I am thinking of getting married first
    >and then applying F1 visa by myself, by this way I can go to US in a short time.
    >But I am not sure whether it is a good way for us, some people said if we got
    >married before the F1 visa interview, it will have a bad effect on the application,
    >coz visa officer will treat we with immigration intention. But if we didn't ger
    >married, VO will still think i have immigration intention. F1 visa in China is the
    >most difficult one to get, so many students are rejected every day...
    >So what can we do then? Does this mean we have no way to be together in a short
    >time, and have to waitting for long long three years? Who can tell me...
    >Thanks for your kind reply!!
    >[email protected]

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 3:42 am
Just Joined

blue_chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default to Joe,Re: what can I do?

Thanks for your message.

And I still have some questions here,

Originally posted by Joachim Feise:
blue_chris wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > One question want your helpy,
    > My boyfriend got his green card this month, so he can go back home and get married
    > with me, but due to the US immigration law, greedcard's wife have to wait for three
    > year and then go to the States.

Three years? Rather 5-6 years.
really?

> That's a long time for us. And since any kind of visa is difficult to get in my
    > homeland, Shanghai, China. it might be difficult for us to see offten, this is too
    > bad.... So I am thinking of getting married first and then applying F1 visa by
    > myself, by this way I can go to US in a short time.
    > But I am not sure whether it is a good way for us, some people said if we got
    > married before the F1 visa interview, it will have a bad effect on the application,
    > coz visa officer will treat we with immigration intention.

Yes. For the F-1, you need to demonstrate ties to your home country. You also have to
have the intent to go back to your home country after finishing your studies.
Unlikely if you are married to a PR. Result: denial.

what is a PR?

> But if we didn't ger married, VO will still think i have immigration intention.

Yes. The same as above applies.

> F1 visa in China is the most difficult one to get, so many students are rejected
    > every day...
    > So what can we do then? Does this mean we have no way to be together in a short
    > time, and have to waitting for long long three years? Who can tell me...

Unfortunately, yes. I have heard of people in this situation who actually gave up
their Greencards to be with their spouse.

I still have a question that, if we get marriged and I go to apply for the F1 visa, will the visa officer tell me I have no right to apply for it by then since I had already married with an american, and suggest me to wait for those serveral years?

-Joe

Last edited by blue_chris; Aug 22nd 2002 at 3:59 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by blue_chris:
Hi there,

One question want your helpy,

My boyfriend got his green card this month, so he can go back home and get married with me, but due to the US immigration law, greedcard's wife have to wait for three year and then go to the States. That's a long time for us. And since any kind of visa is difficult to get in my homeland, Shanghai, China. it might be difficult for us to see offten, this is too bad.... So I am thinking of getting married first and then applying F1 visa by myself, by this way I can go to US in a short time.

But I am not sure whether it is a good way for us, some people said if we got married before the F1 visa interview, it will have a bad effect on the application, coz visa officer will treat we with immigration intention. But if we didn't ger married, VO will still think i have immigration intention. F1 visa in China is the most difficult one to get, so many students are rejected every day...

So what can we do then? Does this mean we have no way to be together in a short time, and have to waitting for long long three years? Who can tell me...

Thanks for your kind reply!!

[email protected]
Don't get married yet. Come to study maybe by the time you graduate he'll become a USC then things are much easier. I know getting F1 is not easy but I personally think finding a job and sponsorhip here is tougher. Or come here and study and hope they'll change some laws within a year or two.

If you get married and filed for non-immigration student visa they will ask you on the form if you're married or single. And they will specifically ask if your husband/wife is in the US or has a green card or citizenship.
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 11:10 pm
Amer20034

chong [email protected] wrote:

>Either way, anyone who is from China or India is hard to do business with the INS.
    >I dont know why.

Too many of them here? That's why they don't qualify for DV too.

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:53 pm
James Donovan

chong <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > I know if your bf is a US citizen, you dont have to wait that long to get your GR.
    > Either way, anyone who is from China or India is hard to do business with the INS.
    > I dont know why.

It's because they send many immigrants here. It's also because many of those
immigrants (particularly Chinese) are illegal. Also, they speak little English (they
speak English in India though) and violate their immigration status in many ways.
That's why it's hard. All pay for the actions of a few who abuse of the system.