British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   what can the congressman do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-can-congressman-do-112961/)

anggraeni Oct 15th 2002 5:36 am

what can the congressman do?

dear all.

i want to find some clues about what the congressman can do if we ask for their help with our petition... can he speed things up?

have a nice day, everybody! :)
anggraeni

jsv888 Oct 15th 2002 2:59 pm

Re: what can the congressman do?

Originally posted by anggraeni:
dear all.

i want to find some clues about what the congressman can do if we ask for their help with our petition... can he speed things up?

have a nice day, everybody! :)
anggraeni

I've contacted 3 of mine and they all say they'll do something, but don't. I don't think they have any influence at all unless your case is seriously in trouble, in which case, I'd get a lawyer before I'd contact a congressperson. They are supposed to have staff dedicated to INS issues, but they've never been able to do anything for us.

Rete Oct 15th 2002 4:43 pm

Originally posted by jsv888:

I've contacted 3 of mine and they all say they'll do something, but don't. I don't think they have any influence at all unless your case is seriously in trouble, in which case, I'd get a lawyer before I'd contact a congressperson. They are supposed to have staff dedicated to INS issues, but they've never been able to do anything for us.

Yes much depends on the severity of the situation, the location of the problem and the eptness and familiarity of the liaison's office with the various INS offices and service centers.

If you are just looking for speeding up your petition and it is still within the guidelines of the timeline announced by the particular INS division, then there is nothing the political reps liaison should or can do for you.

If it is regard to the slowness of the K-3 petitions at MSC and/or the lack of issuance of K visas in some parts of the world, there is nothing a political reps office can do as the problem is too large and complex for them to be able to move a mountain.

Rete

anggraeni Oct 16th 2002 1:13 am

Originally posted by Rete:
thanks for replying, everybody.

Rete, i want to ask you something. You see, my fiancee is getting worried since the political athmosphere in my country, Indonesia, is getting messy again. Remember the Bali bombing? :(
According to my condition, can the congressman speed up the process? Yes we are still in 90 days of waiting period, that is the time the TSC said. But we are getting worried that the US Embassy will close again, like they did in September. Can they make a special treatment or something like that?

Thanks before. :) Have a nice day!
anggraeni

Yes much depends on the severity of the situation, the location of the problem and the eptness and familiarity of the liaison's office with the various INS offices and service centers.

If you are just looking for speeding up your petition and it is still within the guidelines of the timeline announced by the particular INS division, then there is nothing the political reps liaison should or can do for you.

If it is regard to the slowness of the K-3 petitions at MSC and/or the lack of issuance of K visas in some parts of the world, there is nothing a political reps office can do as the problem is too large and complex for them to be able to move a mountain.

Rete

Rete Oct 16th 2002 1:43 am

Yes I remember the bombing in Bali and I always know I read in the papers today that all non-essential US personnel of the US Consulate are being sent home immediately.

I don't think a political rep is going to be of much assistance. You can try as it won't hurt.

Rete

anggraeni Oct 16th 2002 1:55 am

thanks, Rete, jsv888.
I will ask the congressman after all. I think it is better to ask and see what she/he can do than just sit here wondering, right?

thanks again! :) i will let you know what is going on after this. Have a nice day.

anggraeni