Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is a BTEC extended diploma equivalent to in USA?

What is a BTEC extended diploma equivalent to in USA?

Old Oct 8th 2020, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Kari549 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is a BTEC extended diploma equivalent to in USA?

Basically I am moving from the UK to the USA and have a BTEC National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (D*D*D*). I have no idea what it is equivalent to in USA. I moving there to my husband next year and wish to continue studying.

Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a BTEC extended diploma equivalent to in USA?

UK qualifications below degree level aren't worth much in the US, and there is certainly no direct equivalent. Your BTEC might be worth some credits towards a degree, but you'll need to get it "evaluated" and there are several evaluation services so you will need to use one accepted by the college you are asking for the credits for.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 8th 2020 at 8:29 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Yes I know but can I go to university? It is a 2 year full time science diploma. All I want is to study further at university

Last edited by Kari549; Oct 8th 2020 at 8:35 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kari549
Yes I know but can I go to university? It is a 2 year full time science diploma. All I want is to study further at university
You'll have to ask the university you're applying to, then get your BTEC evaluated by their preferred evaluation service.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 8th 2020 at 8:41 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You'll have to ask the university you're applying to, then get your BTEC evaluated by their preferred evaluation service.
Will do thanks
Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:41 pm

Will do thanks
You're welcome.

Bear in mind that US colleges expect you to have credits in a lot of base level subjects that you might have dropped at 18, or even at 16 in the UK, so expect to have to take units in maths, English, and perhaps even a foreign language.

You might find that you need to plug any gaps in your UK "transcript" with a year at a community college taking some of the basic generic subjects.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

You're welcome.

Bear in mind that US colleges expect you to have credits in a lot of base level subjects that you might have dropped at 18, or even at 16 in the UK, so expect to have to take units in maths, English, and perhaps even a foreign language.

You might find that you need to plug any gaps in your UK "transcript" with a year at a community college taking some of the basic generic subjects.
I have my high school diploma from Norway and also I took maths and English GCSE here in the UK on top of my applied science diploma which had Biology, chemistry and physics. Lastly, I took the TOEFL test 2 weeks ago as I saw they all required English proficiency scores in Nebraska.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:54 pm

I have my high school diploma from Norway and also I took maths and English GCSE here in the UK on top of my applied science diploma which had Biology, chemistry and physics. Lastly, I took the TOEFL test 2 weeks ago as I saw they all required English proficiency scores in Nebraska.
Well I'd enroll you. But how much value a US uni will place on all those is uncertain.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Well I'd enroll you. But how much value a US uni will place on all those is uncertain.
Indeed that's why I'm lost but I think my best option would to get a wes evaluation (course by course).
Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:58 pm

Indeed that's why I'm lost but I think my best option would to get a wes evaluation (course by course).
Agreed.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to an open enrollment university. There are plenty of them.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 1:44 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Yep my BTEC/HND in Facilities engineering counted for zip over here.
Even paying the $100 or so to get it evaluated produced very little.
Experience is what got me my position.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Extended is what I would have called a HND when I took one. If that is the case, it should have a direct conversion to College Credits and is similar to the two year Associates Degree over here. As pointed out, you'll likely be missing some specific subject credits that are needed if you want to push to a full Degree (probably worth it if you are young and without work experience). With the other subjects you listed, you'll likely have to identify the syllabus you studied for them, so I'd get some pre work underway in getting hold of that from your examining Board. The positive here is that many Colleges are much more aware of how to do this than if you'd be coming over at GCSE level and switching to a High School.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

You probably know this but be very careful on college/university selection. There are a lot of ripoff for profit colleges here that take advantage of students offering worthless diplomas. They are very accommodating taking all previous credits to get students to sign up.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ddsrph
You probably know this but be very careful on college/university selection. There are a lot of ripoff for profit colleges here that take advantage of students offering worthless diplomas. They are very accommodating taking all previous credits to get students to sign up.
Yes I know, thanks for the info🙂