Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

What brought you to the USA?

Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
we haven't been in ages it's not the color of the sand but rather what is in the water :scared: actually with the kids it's very interesting we even had these seaweed slug things one time..every visit is a new experience though being in sea you can actually SEE through( while in Padre) was a very pleasant change

yep for sure padre is better..worth the trip down there..nope the water is definitely a no go area in galveston, I'm always amazed at the young kids that are allowed to go in the water......ugh..
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:18 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
What was the original reason that you moved to the USA ...
For me it was all about the "O" ... and the price of fish.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:27 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I need to go there, it could be my sort of place!!! I don't want to be here anymore.
How many Us states have you lived in? Is Az the first for you?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
For me it was all about the "O" ... and the price of fish.
You'd never had an orgasm until you got to the US?! :scared:
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:06 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
You'd never had an orgasm until you got to the US?! :scared:
In the words of somebody else (probably a high ranking Tory politician, probably retired, probably has a convicted criminal for a son, probably has a nice well liked daughter), "I couldn't possibly comment!"

Last edited by User Name; Feb 14th 2006 at 1:39 am. Reason: Condensation
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:06 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the warm welcome, i have to admit i am talking about living here in Florida, but me and the missus went to the Pocono's in pa for our honeymoon and fell in love with the place! i don't know it just kind of felt 'familiar' more British feeling (maybe the climate?) to me, whereas the missus fell in love with the scenery and the fact there seemed to be more to do in general than here. just have to keep telling her that the cold isn't going to kill her! i don't think she has ever been below 0 c! she panics about stupid things like this! so we are in the process of looking into moving, so watch this space!
love and bollocks!
Rik
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:22 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Thanks for the warm welcome, i have to admit i am talking about living here in Florida, but me and the missus went to the Pocono's in pa for our honeymoon and fell in love with the place! i don't know it just kind of felt 'familiar' more British feeling (maybe the climate?) to me, whereas the missus fell in love with the scenery and the fact there seemed to be more to do in general than here. just have to keep telling her that the cold isn't going to kill her! i don't think she has ever been below 0 c! she panics about stupid things like this! so we are in the process of looking into moving, so watch this space!
love and bollocks!
Rik
If you can afford to live in the Poconos, it aint arf bad

Peace and Testicles
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What brought you to the USA?

Hi,
We met our friends when they were in Cardiff for a weekend away from the base and just hit it off! They were only friends though (there were a few dates here and there between all of us but we always went back to just being friends (we were way better at that! ). My husband was also USAF but strangely enough I met him a couple of years later in Cardiff aswell whilst he was on a weekend away from the base! (Fairford), ironic or what! Both times they were the ones that approached us at our favourite night club, We must have had "come and talk to us if you're American" tattoed across our forheads or something, very bizarre! Anyway, neally 16 years later and my hubby and I are still happily married
Yes it's weird how things work out,isn't it?!...whenever I was at the Base the RAF guys were real chatty,but whenever I went to Silks nightclub in Thatcham,it was always the Americans!.....and then Don turned up in the last pub me and Julie went to...it was one of 'those' nights,and we were about to get a taxi home when he and a friend got there,they'd been to the US embassy in London and caught the last train back....the friend was legless!,and Don was very shy(still is!)so he just flopped the friend against the bar and leaned back against it and just stared!...anyway Julie said he won't stop staring at you(I could vaguely see him,I didn't have my glasses on!)so she said if he hasn't come over by the time I go to the loo,I'm going to go and send him over!...anyway I was looking for something in my bag,talking to Julie(who'd run off to the loo, when I wasn't looking!)and left me mumbling to myself,when I looked up,there was a blur was sitting opposite me and Julie had vanished!...that was when I thought I'd better put my glasses on,because, for all I could see,it could've been 'Bigfoot'!!...the 'Bigfoot' obviously turned out to be VERY ok!!!....we were married 5 months later!....Sophia
p.s. Congrats! on your 16 years!!!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Are you saying that the education is comparable to England or better? What about costs? I'm guessing that it's more expensive to go to college/university over here, so is it really worth it considering that? I'd love to know more about it, as one of my major concerns about staying here is that my son's education will suffer. I could be worrying unnecessarily, but what I've experienced/heard so far, does not bode well.
re costs- I think it depend on the state you live really. Our daughter attends University in San Marcos TX and her fees for the year vary between $6500 -$7250 depending on the number of credit hours she is taking. If we had stayed in the Scotland, she wouldn't had to pay the fees but we would still have been responsible for her living expenses. As we are a high income family even in the UK, I doubt we would have any assistance available to us, other than loans. For her living expenses here, we pay $1000 a month plus she earns money with a 20 hr job at the university. So in total we pay about $19,000 per yr, which works out to about £11,000. Given that we would have probably had to pay more for her living expenses in the UK, it works not that much more expensive.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:44 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Hey Simon-
Check PMs... there's a expat group that meets here in Baltimore you might want to join.

In regards to your comments- puleeze! When I met my husband, he might have topped me on countries visited, but I topped him on continents. I consider myself fairly well travelled, and the majority of my American friends are also fairly well travelled, or at the very least knowlegable about the greater world around them.

Perhaps I'm a bit snobbish about my group of friends, but that's how it is. Some, but not all have been to university. Some, but not all work in the arts or sciences- perhaps that's it, I don't know- but if we tell our friends we're off to Barcelona for New Years or our trip to Morocco or somesuch- their reply could often be "Oh, let me tell you about this great hotel we found" or "Always wanted to go there, can't wait to hear all about it"

Granted, we both did a lot more travelling before we "settled down" got full time permanent positions instead of contract/freelance gigs, bought a house, etc. but that doesn't change travel as an interest for us.

I do know the people who only live to go "downy ocean"- yes, they do exist- but sometimes all it takes is to widen ones circle to find plenty of (American) kindred spirits.

Cheers- maybe see ya at the next meetup!

Originally Posted by simongb
I also came here for a woman and had a terrible time adjusting to the lifestyle. Most americans (my EX wife included) have no concept of the outside world and, what I find more infuriating, don't care to learn more about the world! Most people where I live spend their summers traveling to the 'ocean' (three hours away by car) and then spend the winter talking about the wonderful time they had 'down the ocean' (I am generalising). When I tell people I go to Europe or that I am planning to go to India next year, they look at me as though I am an alien (which I am LOL) and they have nothing to say. It is very frustrating! When I call my family in the UK they are always off somewhere, Moscow, Italy, Vietnam, Spain, Australia etc. No 'down the ocean' for them. People in the UK have more of a sense of adventure I think (again I am generalising). I could go on. Give it time. There are plusses to life here-good career opportunities, you can earn good money. Also, one other thing you might consider is moving somewhere else. The US is vast and varied. Not all people are the same. You might feel more at home in New York or LA for example. We Brits sometimes forget that this country is so huge and has so many different lifestyles. Give it time, check out new places and then make a decision. Don't judge this country on one particular town or state. Good Luck!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:55 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Oh, and BTW-
I guess you all can tell from my reply that I'm the 'merican.

Met my husband online and then started dating him whilst I was in the UK taking a dj course with a buncha 19 year old boys with baggy trousers and puffa coats just before the turn of the century. (he wasn't one of the boys )
Anyway, a LDR ensued and eventually we decided that he would move here.

We celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary in June.

For the mr., I think the meetup group and the fact one of his friends from when he was festival going Essex teen lives just 3 hours away in New Jersey (he's lived on this side of the pond longer than the mr.) helps him to not feel so isolated. That and the fact he lived in Cairo for close to 2 years. Compared to there, Bawlamore's easy peasy, culture shock wise

If he ever became completely miserable here, I would happily enough move back to the UK. I feel quite at home there and have a number of friends there. For now, though, he seems happy. We try to get back about once a year, which is a good thing.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Bob]design, it's rated with loughborough as the top two in europe, it's highly rated in engineering and law, as well as sports...but has anyone heard of the place outside of students?

I was just perusing this thread (during lunch, of course) and saw this reference to Loughborough! I dated a fellah that went to Loughborough back in the early 70's (yeah yeah - I'm old). His name was Bruce and he was studying industrial chemistry (I think ... ). I've often wondered what happened to Bruce ..........

I ended up marrying an American (USAF) whom I subsequently divorced after 30 years. He's now living in un-marital bliss with the BFH and their three-year old twin boys in a 5 br/4 bath/spa/swimming pool house with 3 cars in the driveway and in the process of buying another home in TX for his retirement while I'm living in a 3 br rental in OKC! Not that I'm bitter or anything .....
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:08 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TaffyinOK]
Originally Posted by Bob
design, it's rated with loughborough as the top two in europe, it's highly rated in engineering and law, as well as sports...but has anyone heard of the place outside of students?

I was just perusing this thread (during lunch, of course) and saw this reference to Loughborough! I dated a fellah that went to Loughborough back in the early 70's (yeah yeah - I'm old). His name was Bruce and he was studying industrial chemistry (I think ... ). I've often wondered what happened to Bruce ..........

I ended up marrying an American (USAF) whom I subsequently divorced after 30 years. He's now living in un-marital bliss with the BFH and their three-year old twin boys in a 5 br/4 bath/spa/swimming pool house with 3 cars in the driveway and in the process of buying another home in TX for his retirement while I'm living in a 3 br rental in OKC! Not that I'm bitter or anything .....
You certainly sound like youre over it..! LOL
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:43 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

How many Us states have you lived in? Is Az the first for you?
Nope, I've lived in Texas before. Visited Oklahoma, Kansas & Colorado long enough to get a bit of a feel for the place.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:53 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
re costs- I think it depend on the state you live really. Our daughter attends University in San Marcos TX and her fees for the year vary between $6500 -$7250 depending on the number of credit hours she is taking. If we had stayed in the Scotland, she wouldn't had to pay the fees but we would still have been responsible for her living expenses. As we are a high income family even in the UK, I doubt we would have any assistance available to us, other than loans. For her living expenses here, we pay $1000 a month plus she earns money with a 20 hr job at the university. So in total we pay about $19,000 per yr, which works out to about £11,000. Given that we would have probably had to pay more for her living expenses in the UK, it works not that much more expensive.
Thank you for the info, it's something I really have to think about, right now, I'm worried.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.