Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Brit things has your American embraced (or not?)

What Brit things has your American embraced (or not?)

Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: What Brit things has your American embraced (or not?)

Right, lets see...

My American hubby likes Doctor Who, Primeval, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder (see hes doing OK!)

I make Beef and stilton cornish pasties, and my own sausage rolls (though the sausage meat isn't quite the same as I'd use in England) and he loves them.

He likes most English food I cook, and that he had over there on our visits, but was a little dubious about my mothers steak and kidney pie....lol....(wisely, he did not tell her this....or unwisely, perhaps, as she'll think he likes it and serve it up next time! )

He is hugely into history and probably knows more English history than I do, so that was one thing he loved over there.

Ruth x
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

The TV shows my hubby loves that I introduced him to include:

Allo Allo, Mind Your Language, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Father Ted, Black Adder, Man About the House, Porridge, Only Fools & Horses, Dad's Army, Skippy (OK that's Australian!)

He already liked Are You Being Served? and Keeping Up Appearances that he'd seen in the US.

He's introduced me to Three's Company and The Brady Bunch, I really like TBB especially.

Last edited by Squirrel; Jul 5th 2011 at 1:21 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:06 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Enough that she wants to move there.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Ex-pat husband (EPH) has introduced me to "Open All Hours" - we're on season 4 via Netflix. Had only seen David Jason in "A Touch of Frost" so didn't know his penchant for comedic stuff. Really enjoy it. Robert Carlisle a fav of mine, particularly in "The Full Monty". LOVED "Waiting For God" & "As Time Goes By". Have seen a few interviews with Parkinson (a really funny one with Billy Connelly) & miss his program terribly. Won't miss Graham Norton. He can't stand "Keeping Up Appearances" - says he knew too many who were just like Mrs. Bucket! Also can't wait for next season of "Doc Martin"! Enuff?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Is Absolutely Fabulous still on the air? I've caught a few episodes here and there and really liked it.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Had only seen David Jason in "A Touch of Frost" so didn't know his penchant for comedic stuff. Really enjoy it.
His best role was in Only Fools and Horses have you seen any of those yet?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Salad Cream!!

and Rugby League.

and Lee Mack and Peter Kay and...

Last edited by Deeks; Jul 6th 2011 at 5:46 am.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
His best role was in Only Fools and Horses have you seen any of those yet?
Mornin'. Not enough "Only Fools..." to say I really enjoyed it. Only saw a couple and believe if I saw them from the beginning, I'd like 'em. Will try to get hold of the series. Thanks!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deeks
Salad Cream!!

and Rugby League.

and Lee Mack and Peter Kay and...
First saw Lee Mack on "Not Going Out" and when I could catch what he said, laughed my head off. (Talks a little too fast for me with that dialect - have to listen longer to regular speech pattern & rhythm, then I can handle it) Have seen him also on Graham Norton & his ad libs are a scream - oh how I wish they'd show Graham Norton's program in its entirety!!! And now they have an American "PRESENTER"!?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

LFC1005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike loves scotch eggs, British bacon, a good curry and a pint of John Smiths.

He loves to watch Top Gear and Two pints of larger and a packet of crisps.

As for sports, he'll watch football (I've taken him to a few games) and Rugby but didn't like cricket.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What Brit things has your American embraced (or not?)

My husband loves Dr. Who, Torchwood, Top Gear, Scottish and Irish folk music, shortbread, drinking whisky neat (and spelling it without an 'e"),and pulling crackers at Christmas dinner. He hates cold toast, beans for breakfast, bacon, steak and kidney pie, and black pudding. Also won't touch tea!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

He loves Trebor (think they are trebor) cherry drops - he is addicted to them. Foyles War - thinks its the best programme EVER - Michael Cane, in fact any brit movie as long as it has subtitles!
The fact that the weather is almost identical to where we live in the US (boo), PM Question Time - we have to watch the re runs every sunday eve, Brit accents, the museums and the shops - Fortnums blew his mind!! and the general oldness and history

He doesnt like the food whenever hes visited the UK (er whats not to like after sampling "fresh milk" which seemed to have a shelf life of 4 weeks in US)
The fact that he had a salt beef sarnie (corned beef for those americans) and it was cut up into 4 like a childs, boiled veg, the narrow roads with the "curves", people sitting down in supermarkets, the fact that you dont automatically get water with a meal

On the whole tho he is fascinated by all things Brit
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
, people sitting down in supermarkets,
???
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
???
the checkout assistants sitting down when checking your shopping at the tills
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:38 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
the checkout assistants sitting down when checking your shopping at the tills
right, that was being talked about in another thread, I should have remembered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.