Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Brit things has your American embraced (or not?)

What Brit things has your American embraced (or not?)

Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Brit things has your American embraced (or not?)

Jim (USC) LOVES Torchwood and Irn Bru and is getting pretty good at understanding all my colloquialisms.
Likes a full English (though thinks its a little strange not to have syrup with bacon and sausage), sausage and mash, roast dinner with all the trimmings

Doesn't understand or see the difference between Whoppers (ugh) and Maltesers (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm), American butter and european butter (luckily Trader Joe's sells imported Kerrygold butter) US bacon and British bacon (why is EVERYTHING smoked here AND all streaky....ugh), insipid regular US coffee v Nescafe Gold or barista coffees. Also can't understand having pancakes for anything other than breakfast and doesn't understand that UK bread is much better - not so sweet.

Luckily, trader Joes, Wholefoods and Meijer here in Michigan have a decent(ish) selection of UK foods so the withdrawal sym,toms for me aren't too bad....also lucky I'm pretty adapatable...apart from thinking that Pizza is a major food group!!!!!! lol
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brit In TN
No killing required. Only just discovered it myself so can't comment on the quality.
(Greetings from the mountainous side of TN btw)

Gammon -
http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus...rsus_index.asp
Nice to meet 'ya. Love the mountains, but born a flat-lander. And a "Yankee", to boot. (That means, to southerners, that I'm a northerner!)

If this place you've mentioned is in the Farragut area, I think we tried to find them last year when we went to daughter's wedding in K'ville. For the life of me, right now I can't remember what our result was - have to ask my other half.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

My missus is an Anglophile, so I just got collected.
She has done a good job of converting me to such Brit things as costume dramas and some other dramas like MI-5; she has also got me a bit more interested in British history too, she is still my first call for historical Brit info.
Still resisting her efforts for us to discover black pudding.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:23 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

well, apart from embracing me on a regular basis () he loves:

marmite, tea with milk, Malt vinegar, Branston pickle, Fruit shorties, jaffa cakes, BBC america, especially top gear and primevil.

I once made a chilli like in the UK, served with rice, and my hubster and his mother looked at me like I was from outer space.... I couldn't see the problem, 'casue I've always had chilli and rice, but they'd never had such a freaky combination.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

Switch it around for me--what American things has your Brit embraced?

ice cream. pancakes and waffles. more ice cream. and he won't eat RICE unless it's either curried or rice pudding.

Back to the previously scheduled program.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

My husband,Don,loves everything English he ever tasted,especially Branston!loves curry,toad-in-the-hole,roast dinners,and bubble and squeak to use up the roast leftovers.....my fav. roast was always roast lamb,but the lamb just tastes completely different over here....mind you,most things taste different over here!,as we all know!
I know one of his most favourite things to do was to drive out to a country pub and get a ploughman's lunch,or take the kids to a country pub on a summer evening and watch them playing on the pirate play ship,or a pub near Basingstoke which had a little petting zoo.
He never had any interest in history until he met me,in the UK,and I dragged him everywhere,I know he's always really missed those trips!...so have I!...then there were the lovely relaxing drives which took us to Lechlade,Virginia Waters and all the beautiful Stately Home gardens we used to visit.....AHHHH!!!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
well, apart from embracing me on a regular basis () he loves:

marmite, tea with milk, Malt vinegar, Branston pickle, Fruit shorties, jaffa cakes, BBC america, especially top gear and primevil.

I once made a chilli like in the UK, served with rice, and my hubster and his mother looked at me like I was from outer space.... I couldn't see the problem, 'casue I've always had chilli and rice, but they'd never had such a freaky combination.
Yes I'd always put chilli on a bed of rice!,Don thought I was insane,but he's never eaten it without the rice since!!!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b

My missus was freaked out by rice and chilli too...it's very English...but oh well
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:54 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

My wife is now obsessed with Dr. Who and Torchwood. Food-wise I've converted her to hob-nobs and chip butties. We haven't got any yet but sje's very excited about trying "proper" crisps - the flavor selection excites her

She already loved Rugby before she met me (she played in college,) apart from that, she's not really interested in sports.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

DH likes roast lamb, curry, curry made with left over lamb, shepherds pie, bangers and mash but not steak and kidney pie. Hes also taken a liking to gin and tonic and likes a good Scottish malt whisky

He also has a British bike (Triumph tiger) and a British project car (MGB) and watchess the local craigslist looking for just the right landrover :\
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

bunkyboy will become famous soon enough

My wife is American and misses english food more than I do! Fake bangers, steam puddings, meat pies, back bacon sandwiches. This being an important day for Americans a petition should be started with a view to lobby the White House for the beaten english to be able to import "real food" as a consolation.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bunkyboy
My wife is American and misses english food more than I do! Fake bangers, steam puddings, meat pies, back bacon sandwiches. This being an important day for Americans a petition should be started with a view to lobby the White House for the beaten english to be able to import "real food" as a consolation.
Amen~! Trouble is, if the people who ran the UK import shop here for a while are to be believed, the food brokers don't want to handle LTL (less than a load) orders and often sell their meats to larger distributors, leaving small shop patrons out in the cold. And the mad cow disease scare seems to have given the US gov't a good excuse to not be bothered with it. Shame, really.....however, I'll take the fake bangers over none at all.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Still working on trying Balsons and the Williams people.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Mine drinks tea now and loves Doc Martin, The Tudors & MI-5. "Proper" Cadburys dairy milk, Hob Nobs & Pimms,

Likes to use "Bloody", "Muppet" , "Knackered" , "Buggered" & "Mankey" liberally in her speech - usually after I've done something.......

Can't get her head 'round Baked Beans for breakfast, Marmite or Cricket though.

Last edited by Englishman43; Jul 5th 2011 at 12:34 am.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

My partner loves Marmite. And that's about it! ETA ... she also loves Jane Austin-style period pieces ...

Originally Posted by Rose tea
... complains that most English meat is "boiled and tasteless." ...
I hated beef when I lived in England. Only when I came here and experienced charcoal grilled, medium-rare steaks did I get excited about beef. I think things may have changed now, with the increase in more 'natural' beef, but I'm not sure about the preparation still ... Well done, thinly sliced steaks that are pan-fried just don't do it for me - has to be charcoal grilled and at least medium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.