Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Brand Do You Use?

What Brand Do You Use?

Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Brand Do You Use?

Originally Posted by mandpete
Not found a decent washing powder/liquid yet. Whenever anyone comes over from England they have to bring me as many boxes of Fairy tablets as they can fit in their luggage. I use All if I have no Fairy because it seems to be the only one that doesn't bring one of us out in a rash. It doesn't get the clothes really clean though.
That seventh generation green stuff, we got it while on sale and it's fab stuff...
Old Mar 12th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

...someone else mentioned the best loo roll...White Cloud,only ever seen it in walmart
Gain liquid laundry detergent (I like the Island Breeze smell) or if you prefer powder, Surf is good,at least I think so...I always add Oxicleen to my whites and light colours,although I did find another brand(in my local Aldi supermarket) called Tandil,which I like,(and it's a bit cheaper than oxicleen!)seems more powerful than oxicleen as well.(every so often I use bleach in with the whites instead of Oxicleen),they just seem to need a 'boost' every now and then)
Dawn with bleach alternative,for hand washing up(had a dishwasher when we lived in military housing and hated it,only used it a few times,it never seemed to clean the dishes as well and I never had the patience to wait for the thing to get finished!)...I bought a drainer tray from walmart,it works great!
I tried everything I could find for the shower surround...and nothing did what it said it would until I found Kaboom ( by the makers of Oxicleen)LOVE the job it does!....for the rest of the bathroom and the loo...it's Mr.Clean antibacterial(the blue one)does a great job and smells 'clean and fresh'
...love the Swiffer dusters for quick whip-rounds and Pledge multi-surface for the weekly polishing.
I really like Miracle Whip now,don't miss Salad Cream at all anymore,I bought a mini bottle of it in my local World Market a while ago and found I prefer Miracle Whip!....how sad is that?!! ....Sophia (Illinois)
Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

ooops!forgot the make-up removers!....I don't bother with them anymore,I use Walmart brand facial wash followed by St.Ives Apricot facial scrub...my skin is in better condition than ever...also, I REALLY like the Bare Esccential Mineral Make Up,I swear it's THE best make-up I've ever used...and it lasts forever,and I've never used lot of make-up...just a moisturizer,little bit of foundation and a smidge of mascara and lipstick....Sophia
Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
You're not old enough to remember that?
Sadly I am. I may have been wearing flared Rupert the Bear trousers and a nice tartan waistcoat me mam bought me but I still was there at the time.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:45 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Not all Targets sell No.7 products, I was so excited when I heard they would, only to find out not in our Area. I do use Spray n wash stain stick on his collars & cuffs, I will say thats not bad
That's a shame. I don't use it personally. I use Aveeno moisturizing lotion for removin make-up.

I used to use all these different chemicals for different rooms but I stopped because of the issues with the environment. Alone they are bad but when mixed together they are highly toxic and the fumes that they give off are just horrendous. Also, we have a septic tank so the less chemicals we use the better. So I stick with clorox occasionally and the majority of the time I use either bleach or vinegar in water, or will use the two together to clean drains but you have to be really careful because the smell is bad! Can't use too much bleach, though, because it kills the bacteria in the septic but it is safer for the environment than many of these other cleaners. Oxiclean is good - forgot about that one.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

I am forever trying new brands with the faint hope I will like something new But my biggest pain has to be the washing liquid, for now I'm using Cheer dark formula & All small & mighty for whites with me adding the Bletch, there not to bad for the Boys and my stuff but Hubby's uniforms Pretty sure it's the machines dont wash the clothes as well as the ones back home.

It's definitely the machines. When we first moved here we lived in an apartment and had the top loading washing machines - flippin' useless [apart from being able to throw in that odd sock you always find on the floor when you have shut the lid]. There were times that apart from the smell of the washing liquid and softner on the clothes I really couldn't tell if they'd been washed.

When we bought a house I insisted on a front loading washing machine. Which was probably twice the price of a top loader, but I've never had a problem with getting my clothes clean since.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...t+Load+Washers

I use Tide [high energy efficiency] and snuggle. The same brands I used with the top loader but completely different results. I only throw in clorox if I'm washing cleaning things; dishcloths, teatowels, dry floor dusters....
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Wtf is wrong with harp ???
A candidate for "Funniest post of the day" surely!!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

I am forever trying new brands with the faint hope I will like something new But my biggest pain has to be the washing liquid, for now I'm using Cheer dark formula & All small & mighty for whites with me adding the Bletch, there not to bad for the Boys and my stuff but Hubby's uniforms Pretty sure it's the machines dont wash the clothes as well as the ones back home.
I have recently brought the front loading washing machine and dryer, washing machine is wonderful even does a boil wash and our water bill has dropped as they use less water.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Firstly: I am not particularly fussy as to which brand of washing powder Mrs.R is buying this week as all our dark clothes seem to fade at an alarming rate whatever powder is used to clean them. That's OK for jeans but abit of a pisser for a nice black dress shirt.

Secondly: I am not particularly fussy as to which brand of washing up liquid Mrs.R is buying this week as washing dishes is womens and kids work.

lastly: I am not particularly fussy as to which brand of toilet paper Mrs.R is buying this week as I intend to whipe my arse with it and discard it, not display it on the wall or eat it.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Firstly: I am not particularly fussy as to which brand of washing powder Mrs.R is buying this week as all our dark clothes seem to fade at an alarming rate whatever powder is used to clean them. That's OK for jeans but abit of a pisser for a nice black dress shirt.

Secondly: I am not particularly fussy as to which brand of washing up liquid Mrs.R is buying this week as washing dishes is womens and kids work.

lastly: I am not particularly fussy as to which brand of toilet paper Mrs.R is buying this week as I intend to whipe my arse with it and discard it, not display it on the wall or eat it.
LOL, why should you be bothered, like you keep telling us your the Man of the house
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Finding a decent laundry detergent is the bane of my life. But it probably is the crap top loaders that don't get the clothes clean enough, rather than the powder/liquid. Think I've tried all of them All, ok ,Tide left random items of clothing with bleach marks on them, Cheer, ok. That's the ones I can remember, this week I bought Arm & Hammer, pretty cheap and has worked pretty good so far.

Dishwasher, we use Cascade.
Floors, Mr Clean antibacterial, which I reckon is the same as Flash all purpose.
Bog roll, Charmin
Don't use make up remover tissues I'm a Clinique girl. Which is loads cheaper here.
Toilet bowl cleaner, Lysol or Clorox.
Not inot salad cream so haven't tried a substitute.

Annette
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Spooky - very similar tastes to me

Originally Posted by nethead

Bog roll, Charmin
Don't use make up remover tissues I'm a Clinique girl. Which is loads cheaper here.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finding a decent laundry detergent is the bane of my life. But it probably is the crap top loaders that don't get the clothes clean enough, rather than the powder/liquid. Think I've tried all of them All, ok ,Tide left random items of clothing with bleach marks on them, Cheer, ok. That's the ones I can remember, this week I bought Arm & Hammer, pretty cheap and has worked pretty good so far.

Floors, Mr Clean antibacterial, which I reckon is the same as Flash all purpose.
Bog roll, Charmin

Annette
Just realised you ae in PA - whereabouts? We are about 30 miles outside Philly.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Just realised you ae in PA - whereabouts? We are about 30 miles outside Philly.
We're about an hour and half away from Philly, near Harrisburg.

Annette
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

We're about an hour and half away from Philly, near Harrisburg.

Annette
We are close to Westchester..have you been out here long? We've been here since Aug-04, generally settling in - still have our America moments though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.