Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is the best (read cheapest) way to pay back your student loans from the UK

What is the best (read cheapest) way to pay back your student loans from the UK

Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Fatmike85 will become famous soon enoughFatmike85 will become famous soon enough
Default What is the best (read cheapest) way to pay back your student loans from the UK

Just starting investigating paying back student loans as I've passed the earning threshold this year ( its a tad low if you ask me, its as expensive as London where I live, without the salaries to match!). After reading a bit about it, it turns out I should have reported where I was the past year or so (whoops), I'm assembling proof of lack of income.

Anyway, my question is what is the cheapest way to pay what you owe? Meaning how do most people avoid excessive exchange fees/bank fees/transfer fees etc.? Are there any good services to handle this?

I still have an activate UK bank account, do I just use a service to transfer into that and have the SLC take it out from there via direct debit? Are there easier ways?

Many thanks,

M
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best (read cheapest) way to pay back your student loans from the UK

xe.com
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:10 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the best (read cheapest) way to pay back your student loans from the UK

Try and transfer as many months worth of contributions in as you can at one time to avoid as many charges. And DD from a UK bank account seems sensible.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:43 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Are your loans with HSL or SLC? Just I have recently had the misfortune to have to contact them from abroad and found it very difficult. I finally tracked down some working numbers if you need them. The numbers they provide go straight to a password protected bit and the email address isn't taking new messages.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Are your loans with HSL or SLC? Just I have recently had the misfortune to have to contact them from abroad and found it very difficult. I finally tracked down some working numbers if you need them. The numbers they provide go straight to a password protected bit and the email address isn't taking new messages.
I don't know what HSL stands for but my loan is with the SLC. I rang them last week on the 'from outside the UK' number listed on their website and got straight through to a person without any time in the queue. The woman I spoke to was very helpful, too, although I have heard various stories from friends about ways the SLC has managed to screw their repayments up.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:25 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

HSL is Honor Student Loans. SLC sold some loans on to them.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:08 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comment on other services, but I've been using xoom.com to send money to my son's bank account in the UK and have been happy with the service they provide.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Fatmike85 will become famous soon enoughFatmike85 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the responses! Has anyone tried paying with a credit card that has no foreign transaction fee? I know SLC charges a 1.5% convenience fee, but that would be negligible.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:39 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer, but it likely depends on how much. If you are looking at $100 a month for the next 20 years, one answer. If $50k one off payment, another answer might be better.