British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What is it with banks over here (Again)? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-banks-over-here-again-359181/)

TimFountain Mar 5th 2006 12:55 am

What is it with banks over here (Again)?

Today I got what must be the most ridiculous letter yet from the bank. The bottom line is that there is a federal limit of 6 online transfers you can make to/from a savings account. Apparently I exceed this limit by one last month and so I was charged $10 for the pleasure of moving my money around! The feds deem the account to operating more like a checking account as opposed to a savings account if there is this HUGE amount of activity on the account. Wells Fargo (completely useless tossers BTW) charged me $10, even though the feds recommend that the bank should communicate this limit to the customer and discuss a future action to limit it. As swift call to the bank go this reserved, but FFS what a load of codswallop.

I have never heard so much BS in all my life. Here's the final kicker, if you go into the bank and/or use and ATM, this doesn't count towards the magic 6. And to think someone actually wasted time on this.

Oh and even the feds think this limit should be changed, but every time they try to get it through congress, other useless lamebrains on the hill tack on controversial bills onto it and the whole thing crashes and burns.

If you think I am joking, try googling Federal Reserves' Regulation D section 204.2.

It is the small things like this that truly make me realize that banking in the US is still in the dark ages.

Did I mention the bankers certified check (from another Wells Branch 20 miles away) I deposited just before Christmas? As I was depositing I happened to ask the teller how long in would take to clear? I was expecting an answer like 2-3 days. Well....20% would clear in 4 working days, and the balance 7 days after that. Let's just say they could hear my protestations outside, and a long talk with the manager got this time down to 24 hours.

Any other comments on sharp banking practices out there?

- Tim

NC Penguin Mar 5th 2006 1:32 am

Re: What is it with banks over here (Again)?

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Today I got what must be the most ridiculous letter yet from the bank. The bottom line is that there is a federal limit of 6 online transfers you can make to/from a savings account. Apparently I exceed this limit by one last month and so I was charged $10 for the pleasure of moving my money around! The feds deem the account to operating more like a checking account as opposed to a savings account if there is this HUGE amount of activity on the account. Wells Fargo (completely useless tossers BTW) charged me $10, even though the feds recommend that the bank should communicate this limit to the customer and discuss a future action to limit it. As swift call to the bank go this reserved, but FFS what a load of codswallop.

I have never heard so much BS in all my life. Here's the final kicker, if you go into the bank and/or use and ATM, this doesn't count towards the magic 6. And to think someone actually wasted time on this.

Oh and even the feds think this limit should be changed, but every time they try to get it through congress, other useless lamebrains on the hill tack on controversial bills onto it and the whole thing crashes and burns.

If you think I am joking, try googling Federal Reserves' Regulation D section 204.2.

It is the small things like this that truly make me realize that banking in the US is still in the dark ages.

Did I mention the bankers certified check (from another Wells Branch 20 miles away) I deposited just before Christmas? As I was depositing I happened to ask the teller how long in would take to clear? I was expecting an answer like 2-3 days. Well....20% would clear in 4 working days, and the balance 7 days after that. Let's just say they could hear my protestations outside, and a long talk with the manager got this time down to 24 hours.

- Tim

Read the small print? I read that too about savings accounts which is why I don't have one with my bank...

NC Penguin

dbj1000 Mar 5th 2006 1:34 am

Today I got what must be the most ridiculous letter yet from the bank....etc.

- Tim

Yep. My Credit Union is wonderful. Rather Victorian, and bound by the same antiquated rules you're railing against, but wonderful all the same.

The British banking system may have been firmly set in the 1950s, and the US system may be firmly in the 1890s, but almost without exception the staff in my British bank were miserable, unhelpful, surly, rude and obstructive. By contrast, the staff in my credit union were so helpful that they bent, avoided and otherwise broke many of their house rules to get me set up with a bank account, credit card and established credit history in near-record time, and always with a smile despite me being a monumental pain in the arse with my endless questions and unreasonable demands.

The downside? I can't get out of there in less than 10 minutes because they like to chat about my kids, family, health and such.

...and my checks clear the same day - even the GBP ones I deposit from time to time.

TimFountain Mar 5th 2006 3:41 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Read the small print? I read that too about savings accounts which is why I don't have one with my bank...

NC Penguin

Nope, I didn't and still don't have time. I did just go and dig it up though, since you so eloquently piqued my interest; it was 10 pages of unintelligible guff on 8 point type, I kid you not. I'm sure it was buried in there somewhere. As is the clause about anything and everything can change at any time without notice....

My point before dinner and several glasses of wine to cool me down was that charging for this was the bank equivalent of a big pile of steaming dog doo. I might just convert that savings account to a regular account, as if that $10 charge, had it stuck, would have been the thick end of the interest on the balance in the account (at what, 0.0311232% interest before tax)!!!!!

- Tim

frrussre Mar 5th 2006 3:44 am

- Tim

Yep, I got bombarded by Chase Bank for several years "Online Banking, its easy, its saves you time, etc, etc." I finally gave in & signed up online. They charged me $25 for exceeding my Fed limit. Yep ATM transfers are FOC. Yep, telephone transfers are FOC. BUT NOT online transfers. I called CS, got a refund. I think UK banks do the same.
Reg. Frank R.

Bob Mar 5th 2006 5:12 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000
The British banking system may have been firmly set in the 1950s, and the US system may be firmly in the 1890s, but almost without exception the staff in my British bank were miserable, unhelpful, surly, rude and obstructive. By contrast, the staff in my credit union were so helpful that they bent, avoided and otherwise broke many of their house rules to get me set up with a bank account, credit card and established credit history in near-record time, and always with a smile despite me being a monumental pain in the arse with my endless questions and unreasonable demands.

Your rather lucky...we can get that pleasantness if you do the drive through, but if you go into the bank, it's well shite service...and I can't use the drive by because the window is so f'ing high that I have to stand up on the car seat to reach the drop box window *lol*

AdobePinon Mar 5th 2006 5:25 am

... Wells Fargo (completely useless tossers BTW) ...

There's your problem, right there. Wells Fargo are known for being extremely nice to their corporate customers, and substantially less than accommodating to their personal accounts.

antjen Mar 5th 2006 6:00 am

- Tim

get used to it - the banks over here are crap!

Patrick Hasler Mar 5th 2006 12:55 pm

The overdraft rules are just as bad (if you ever had one here). When I first got an account here and money was very tight my bank gave me a small overdraft limit ($500) and for ages I never had to use it, then one week before I started earning proper money I paid all my bills and slightly went into it, my next wage covered it and a surplace within days and soon I was earning enough to get by and put some away for a rainy day.
The thing is that even if enough goes in to clear the overdraft they only take a small payment towards it and they chrage interest for the time they take to pay the overdraft off bit by bit, even if you are never overdrawn again.
In the UK it is paid off next pay day ! :mad:

Tarkak9 Mar 5th 2006 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
There's your problem, right there. Wells Fargo are known for being extremely nice to their corporate customers, and substantially less than accommodating to their personal accounts.

x2. (Just wait until you have a mortgage with WF.... I rarely have had a closing where WF have funded on time... usually a day or two beforehand they decide to review the file; so if you sell your house, and have a buyer with a WF loan, do yourself a favour and have an automatic extension clause just incase!!)

Just a FYI resource for all

If encountering problems with your bank:

From time to time we may have frustrating experiences with banks at one level or another. We often feel that banks do not want to help to resolve an issue – the last one I experienced was unauthorized withdrawals occurring on a monthly basis. Another time a friend of mine was charged pre-payment penalties of 8k when they were not part of the terms of the loan. So, after trying to address problems with your bank or lending institution and you still can’t resolve them, here are relevant addresses you may want to consider:

If you feel your financial institution has broken any laws relating to your account:
Department of Justice
Tenth Street & Constitution Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20530

If you are a victim of fraud perpetrated by a financial institution:
Department of Justice Fraud Hotline
Tenth Street & Constitution Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20530
(202) 633-3365

For all problems and/or complaints involving a national bank (those banks with national in their name/title) contact:
Comptroller of the Currency
Administrator of National Banks
Washington, D.C. 20219

For any problem with a national or state, contact

The Senate
Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs
534 Dirksen Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

The House of Representatives
Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs
2129 Rayburn Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

For any problem with a national or state bank:
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve
Federal Reserve Building
Washington, D.C. 20551

For any problem with a bank that offers FDIC insurance
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
550 17th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20006

For any problems regarding a savings and loans association
Office of Thrift Supervision
1700 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20552

Savings Association Insurance Fund
550 17th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20429

For problems with any bank which is a member of Federal Reserve System (FRS)
Federal Reserve System
20th Street and Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20551

For your state banking authority’s address and telephone number, contact your local directory assistance. Normally this agency is located at the state capital. You should only contact the agency for all matters regarding banks that do not have the word national in their name.

If you do encounter serious problems with your bank, a government agency may not appear to help a financial consumer on an individual level. However, if you are dedicated, assertive and tenacious enough you can produce results; once they realize that you are serious enough to write numerous letters to Washington. Results may not come from intervention of a government agency, but rather from creating aggravation for the banker.

fatbrit Mar 5th 2006 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
x2. (Just wait until you have a mortgage with WF.... I rarely have had a closing where WF have funded on time... usually a day or two beforehand they decide to review the file; so if you sell your house, and have a buyer with a WF loan, do yourself a favour and have an automatic extension clause just incase!!)

ALL lenders do this for a mortgage. Your credit report will be pulled around 3 days before closing. The main problem comes where the borrower elects to purchase a new fridge/tv/washer/dryer/car/bed/sofa/dining set/etc to match the new house before closing but after the initial application. This is where loans fall out since borrowing money will affect both their credit score and ratios.

Patrick Hasler Mar 5th 2006 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
ALL lenders do this for a mortgage. Your credit report will be pulled around 3 days before closing. The main problem comes where the borrower elects to purchase a new fridge/tv/washer/dryer/car/bed/sofa/dining set/etc to match the new house before closing but after the initial application. This is where loans fall out since borrowing money will affect both their credit score and ratios.

I can second that ! .... I got my mortgage approved and set to move and the day we were exchanging contracts the rate was raised because we had bouth a fridge and dining room furnature which showed a hit on my credit and lowered the score :eek:

Tarkak9 Mar 5th 2006 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit

True lenders do that 'cause buyers sometimes blow the loan, sometimes on purpose. I'm merely commenting with my experiences with WF as whenever I have been involved in a deal with WF its rarely closes on time; they have signed off on the loan, issued commitment and no $$, not even a fed #; sellers get up and leave, keep the earnest money and buyers are left gobsmacked. Life. I know plenty of people where this has happened; for some reason its been more common with WF.

fatbrit Mar 5th 2006 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
True lenders do that 'cause buyers sometimes blow the loan, sometimes on purpose. I'm merely commenting with my experiences with WF as whenever I have been involved in a deal with WF its rarely closes on time; they have signed off on the loan, issued commitment and no $$, not even a fed #; sellers get up and leave, keep the earnest money and buyers are left gobsmacked. Life. I know plenty of people where this has happened; for some reason its been more common with WF.

I've not found WF particularly worse than the others. But it is a pretty low standard, anyway, across the board. Much of it is the luck of who you get/chose for your LO.

fatbrit Mar 5th 2006 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I can second that ! .... I got my mortgage approved and set to move and the day we were exchanging contracts the rate was raised because we had bouth a fridge and dining room furnature which showed a hit on my credit and lowered the score :eek:

You need to get your financial affairs in order before applying, then do nothing on the money borrowing front until you have passed closing. A good realtor or loan officer should drill this in to you. I've even known realtors who have removed their clients' credit cards as a favour to them.