Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to apply for before leaving Blighty

What to apply for before leaving Blighty

Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:11 pm
Plebeian

Haxells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to apply for before leaving Blighty

Having been married to an American for 6 years, we're finally taking the plunge and moving to her side of the pond in about 6 weeks time. Does anyone have any recommendations for anything I should apply for whilst I still have a UK address and references? I'm currently banking with LloydsTSB but I've heard that other UK banks might be better at dealing with an overseas address and moving money between the US and UK? Any other hot tips also greatly appreciated - I'd hate to be in the States in 3 months time kicking myself for not getting an international drivers licence (or whatever) when I had the chance.

Cheers!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to apply for before leaving Blighty

Originally Posted by Haxells
Having been married to an American for 6 years, we're finally taking the plunge and moving to her side of the pond in about 6 weeks time. Does anyone have any recommendations for anything I should apply for whilst I still have a UK address and references? I'm currently banking with LloydsTSB but I've heard that other UK banks might be better at dealing with an overseas address and moving money between the US and UK? Any other hot tips also greatly appreciated - I'd hate to be in the States in 3 months time kicking myself for not getting an international drivers licence (or whatever) when I had the chance.

Cheers!
I'm with Lloyds and Nationwide but since moving I have only used Nationwide - very simple as they have an internet-based savings account with a decent rate of interest. I also like the fact that they still have branches with proper managers, so you can speak one ONE person instead of dealing with call-centres.

Other than that: open at least one unit trust account, even if you can't put much in it. Impossible to open one without a valid UK address (and proof thereof).

Ditto if you think you might want to deal in UK equities.

If you can, invest in ISAs now (use this tax year's and next year's for you and spouse - that's up to 28k for a couple). You cannot add to it after you leave but you don't have to close it.

Once you move, arrange to pay class 3 NI contributions if you want to keep you UK state pension rights.

That's all I can think of...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
Do you have the visa (I-130)?

An International Drivers Permit is of no use to you in the States. It is not a license, it's a translation of non-English licenses in to English. As you'll be becoming a resident of the US, you're more than likely need to get the driving license for the state where you'll be living (check the State's DMV or qv. website).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Doing the DCF visa route then?

Anyway, do a search through the forums and see what you find, though if you can, Barclays and HSBC are pretty b=good because they have brances here and all that...

And you don't need an international drivers permit unless your drivers license is the old fashioned paper jobby...but depending onthe state you move to, you'd have to take the test between 10-90 days in most places.

Welcome to the site btw
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
Get a copy of your UK credit report. It may come in handy (though don't bank on it).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and Oxford...cool...which part?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:47 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
unless your drivers license is the old fashioned paper jobby
They're not paper anymore? I've still got a good 30 or 40 years left on my old scrap. LOL
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
They're not paper anymore? I've still got a good 30 or 40 years left on my old scrap. LOL
aye, flimsy card jobby with a pic on it, I never bothered to get it though cos I'm a cheap skate and didn't want to spend £10 on it, and the old licenses are still good until they expire
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Get a credit card with a company who is based in the US, e.g. AMEX. That way you can just call them and get a credit card as soon as you get here which helps with your credit rating.

-tom
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Get a credit card with a company who is based in the US, e.g. AMEX. That way you can just call them and get a credit card as soon as you get here which helps with your credit rating.
mbna wouldn't do that...plus there going down the pan anyway...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought someone posted here that they got an MBNA card successfully transferred quite recently.

Perhaps it's just better to go with AMEX, they're not likely to go out of business anytime soon.

-tom
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah get an Amex blue credit card - painless opening of US card and the start of your credit history.

Get proof of no claims on your insurance - most places don't care but our broker got us credit and it HALVED the quotes we were getting!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

So why are they going down the pan?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I thought someone posted here that they got an MBNA card successfully transferred quite recently.
maybe, but the UK operation is a seperate business to the US one, so they wouldn't do it, I guess there are exceptions to the rule though.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Big D
So why are they going down the pan?
Cos there broke, there only kept afloat because of mbna canada, UK and Europe....there culling loads of jobs across the country and having massive retirement programs and recruiting new people at half the salary...plus they have massive assets that they are trying to sell, have been for years that they haven't been able to flog.
And the under table word is that they are pulling out of maine within 5 years, they already closed 2 large centres' in maine and all the benefit places like the cabins, day care, gyms, conference halls and all the other benefits they offered...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.