Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

I have noticed lately that like a lot of Americans I have become obsessed with the weather and the price of gas (which went down another couple of cents today by the way ).

What have you 'picked' up?

Ash
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:52 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I have noticed lately that like a lot of Americans I have become obsessed with the weather and the price of gas (which went down another couple of cents today by the way ).

Ash

a taste for frapuccinos
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Being a numpty muppet at the supermarket and saying hi to people etc....hmmm...must be a maine thing...

eating stuff with maple syrup...and having pancakes other than on pancake day...and I don't even really like the things...
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice

I have put on 6 stones in weight.
It must be an Americanism,I never used to be like that.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Ash
Aren't obessions with the weather and petrol prices a Brit thing?

Anyway I drive with one hand out the window and the other on the horn now while using my cell phone and shavng in the rearview mirror. I also had my blinkers (indicators) removed as they were excess useless weight that only served to slow me down as I cut through red lights and lanes full of other motorists that were annoyingly and inconveniently on MY roads.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:34 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cupranod
I have put on 6 stones in weight.
It must be an Americanism,I never used to be like that.

Crikey, your're beating me - I've put on 3 stone
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:51 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Ash

I'm resisting so far - in fact my wife is turning British
I will admit to the frappuccino's and maple syrup
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I'm resisting so far - in fact my wife is turning British
Then she'll know how I feel.

My husband has began adopting American slang.....knew it was inevitable. Heard him say the other day "dude" and "stepping up to the plate" sounds a bit weird. I suppose we are at opposite ends, I'm still saying the British things I said previously, while in the UK,and he's becoming American in his slang. Our daughter just doesn't know how to speak.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Then she'll know how I feel.

My husband has began adopting American slang.....knew it was inevitable. Heard him say the other day "dude" and "stepping up to the plate" sounds a bit weird. I suppose we are at opposite ends, I'm still saying the British things I said previously, while in the UK,and he's becoming American in his slang. Our daughter just doesn't know how to speak.
Teach her Swedish.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Teach her Swedish.
So she can be confused for an Australian?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:13 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Ash
all the words and expressions....it's just easier and I'll even drive to the shop round the corner...oh and complain I'm freezing when it dips below the 70's
Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:27 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Ash
I say "Hey" and not "Hi".

I also engage in an alarmingly high number of high fives with my daughter. We were bowling at the weekend and she finished bowling and I went up it was a low five for a decent score, high five for a spare and a double high five for a strike. Oh and sometimes we do the knuckle to knuckle thang.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:34 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Like I don't know what you are talking about like. Like I haven't kept all my britishism...

I do despise round-abouts now.If it wasn't for the fact I spend my life stopped in traffic I wouldn't be able to shave.

I don't drink American beer but I have frost bite on my fingers for most of the summer thanks to the cold beer glasses....

I do want to tell you about a relationship problem though I'm having. You know I feel I've known you all for sooo long, I am about ready to tell you my most deepest of secrets. NOT.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I use the word "guys" way too much and I cringe every time I hear myself say it.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I use the word "guys" way too much and I cringe every time I hear myself say it.
I'm sorry Dunroving, but I think it sounds gay, no wonder you cringe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.