Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Americana should the U.K. adopt

What Americana should the U.K. adopt

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:33 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Americana should the U.K. adopt

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
If you were moving back to the U.K. tomorrow, what little bit of Americana would you like to see adopted to make life that bit more bearable?.
1. Texas sunshine - beautiful clear blue skies without a cloud insight.
2. Howard Stern radio and E! show, hilarious
3. HBO, best channel on the network.
4. Spacious housing.
5. Lots and Lots of beautiful women with humungous bappers!
6. Ballys fitness, friendly lot, excellent workout facilitys.
7. Texas roadhouse ribs, best damn ribs on the planet.
8. American service in restaurants.
9. Drive through banks.
10. Drive through beer stores
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I said without thinking 'well why didn't you get a raincheck' she laughed and said 'this is england not america'.
Tesco will do that for you, not sure about the others.

Sometimes I think US companies take their customers for a ride and treat them like they're all stupid, not retail companies but service companies like cable providers etc...

-tom
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You're not British, are you? I'm referring to front loaders in the European sense (horizontal drum, no agitator, and front loading)...
I think that what ironporer refers to is a class of uniquely American machines that work like front loaders, but have a door in the sidewall of the drum to allow them to be top-loaded.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Stupidly huge parking spaces....because I'm probably lossing the ability to park properly over here

How about Free Parking at all malls and parking lots. I remember it costing my sister in law upwards of £25 to park for 4 hours in the Cambridge city centre.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:14 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Patrick
Right on Red in the USA but it would be left on red on the UK, or there would be mayhem if you could turn right on red in the uk

Turned left on red, in the UK

Totally forgot where I was, my mother just about had a heart attack

Love those red lights...............

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
<<snip>>
7. Texas roadhouse ribs, best damn ribs on the planet.
8. American service in restaurants.
What's your custom user title read? "Not right in the head". Too right!

Maybe it's the women with the big bappers that make your dining experience extremely pleasant that you don't notice poor service...

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Feb 22nd 2005 at 7:55 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:14 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What's your custom user title read? "Not right in the head". Too right!

Maybe it's the women with the big bappers that make your dining experience extremely pleasant that you don't notice poor service...

NC Penguin
Your not to far off the mark there NC!

but....please don't tell me restaurant service is better in the U.K, cuz that would be utter bollocks my love.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:32 am
Perfumdiva1

There are loads of things that the UK would do well from adopting from the US:

Most of them have been mentioned earlier, but the one major gripe I have, and yes I know it is the other way round here, but for God sakes, would someone please teach the Americans how to hold a knife and for correctly.

God help my kids if they try to hold their knife and fork the "American way"

Blood and tears

PD

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:53 pm
delphiman

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Honey Crunch Corn Flakes are the same ain't they?

http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/bran...=569&company=3

Ash

Holy Cow! Where'd you get those??? I emailed Kellogs and they said (and I quote) "We have no current plans to sell Crunchy nut cornflakes in the USA"....hmm methinks someone in Kellogs doesnt know their Crunchy Nut Conrflakes from their Honey Crunch Corn Flakes....now to find a store round here that stocks em...and fast!

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:05 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
But for God sakes, would someone please teach the Americans how to hold a knife and for correctly.

God help my kids if they try to hold their knife and fork the "American way"
With so much "finger food" about cutlery is becoming obsolete! I realised this when I noticed that I don't have to cut my own kids' food up the way adults cut kids' meat up when I was a child, and neither do they even need forks as much as we did as children.

The "non-American" way is more efficient if you are having to use your knife a lot, but if you are only using the fork, might as well keep it in your good hand.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:15 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

My Mrs thinks that in the UK we should have mixer taps on all kitchen and bathroom sinks as seems standard in the US. Have to admit she has a point.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Your not to far off the mark there NC!

but....please don't tell me restaurant service is better in the U.K, cuz that would be utter bollocks my love.
I didn't say that restaurant service was better in the UK. I just pointed out that if you're focusing on a woman's breasts, you'd probably not notice stuff like poor service, cockroach in your food, missing food item, etc. I bet I'm right.

Plus, don't patronize me. I'm not one of those waitresses? OK?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 2:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Lots and Lots of beautiful women with humungous bappers!
Where in Texas have you lived/visited?!

There are two ways to get "humungous bappers." One is to have a "humungous-all-over" woman, and the other is to have breast augmentation surgery. You'd have to import one or both of those methods to achieve your goal. There's the odd case of genetic overendowment but it's far less common than what you are seeing!

I wonder how folks'd feel if a woman posted a list of physical faults she perceives in British men. Somehow I don't think it would be perceived as humourous at all.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Where in Texas have you lived/visited?!

There are two ways to get "humungous bappers." One is to have a "humungous-all-over" woman, and the other is to have breast augmentation surgery. You'd have to import one or both of those methods to achieve your goal. There's the odd case of genetic overendowment but it's far less common than what you are seeing!

I wonder how folks'd feel if a woman posted a list of physical faults she perceives in British men. Somehow I don't think it would be perceived as humourous at all.
looking at your signature one assumes your anglophillia does not extend as far as the humour
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:02 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Eskimo
looking at your signature one assumes your anglophillia does not extend as far as the humour

Actually, it does, so long as I can detect that it was intended as humour and not intended seriously. Even then some things passed off as jokes really aren't. I'd say my reaction is more typical of being female than American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.