Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Americana should the U.K. adopt

What Americana should the U.K. adopt

Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:07 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Americana should the U.K. adopt

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
If you were moving back to the U.K. tomorrow, what little bit of Americana would you like to see adopted to make life that bit more bearable?.

Community spirit and pride in your work, people caring about their local town.
Not saying all US is like this and all of britain isn't but I think small towns in the US have a certain sense of community that Britain seems to have lost.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Community spirit and pride in your work, people caring about their local town.
Not saying all US is like this and all of britain isn't but I think small towns in the US have a certain sense of community that Britain seems to have lost.
Thats very true. I remember as a kid, one of the Queen's jubilee's and they closed down the street and had a big party. I bet there wouldn't be that kind of community spirit now, whether it was for the Queen, or any other event.

People here, or at least where I live are very friendly also. Just about all the people on my estate will say hello when I am out walking the dog, even if I've never even met them before.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see the U.K. adopt a little more pride in our Flag also. The BNP types seem to have hijacked the Union Jack which is a disgrace. I do believe that local taxis in Cambridge cannot have the St Georges cross on the cars incase it offends people. Well screw them, if our country's flag upsets you, get the F### out.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:32 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

The open 24 hour malarky, and if not, the shops being open till 9pm.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 6:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adeshell
The open 24 hour malarky, and if not, the shops being open till 9pm.
Sounds good in theory but would you be up to working the graveyard shift?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 21st 2005, 6:36 pm
delphiman

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I'd like to see the U.K. adopt a little more pride in our Flag also. The BNP types seem to have hijacked the Union Jack which is a disgrace. I do believe that local taxis in Cambridge cannot have the St Georges cross on the cars incase it offends people. Well screw them, if our country's flag upsets you, get the F### out.

Im with you there. Thats one thing we could well learn from the Yanks is how to have pride in your country and flag.

Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:32 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

But wait... If some high profile celebrities are reported to own front loader (accompanying pictures of them with their washing machines would be perfect PR), then watch the sales rise. Forget the intrinsic advantages of front loaders over top loaders...

NC Penguin
And you really think that Britney Spears or Michael Jorden even realize they own a washing machine (let alone know where it is in their home) or give a rat's ass whether it is a front or top load??

BTW- there are 'top loaders' that still have the horizontal drum vs top loaders and their vertical drum. It is the drum spinning on the side that allows less water to be used and energy to be consumed...not how they are loaded.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

BTW- there are 'top loaders' that still have the horizontal drum vs top loaders and their vertical drum. It is the drum spinning on the side that allows less water to be used and energy to be consumed...not how they are loaded.
I never knew you knew this much about washing machines.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 9:06 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

And you really think that Britney Spears or Michael Jorden even realize they own a washing machine (let alone know where it is in their home) or give a rat's ass whether it is a front or top load??
My quote was tongue in cheek, hence the use of a smilie.

You're not British, are you? I'm referring to front loaders in the European sense (horizontal drum, no agitator, and front loading)...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
When I read this I am always amazed and think you either went to all the wrong the places in the UK or I live in good customer service free zone.

CVS misfilled my daughters perscription and we had one heck of a time
1. getting them to accept at the store they had ****ed up
2. Getting head office to do anything about it
3. Getting any kind of appology from CVS whatsoever.
After 2 months we got $50 gift card and a letter of appology for their customer service (no mention of the misfill whatsoever)

GMAC has credited our December mortgage payment to someone elses account by mistake, will they be accountable, no. It has taken them 3 months and they still haven't solved the problem and credited our account with the payment, this means at the 1st of the month when we automatically become 2 payments behind on the computer we get nasty phone calls.

The guy in Best Buy this morning completly blanked me 3 times.

If you consider walking into a store when it is empty and being harrased by every shop assistant there is or walking into a store when it is busy and being completly ignored good customer service then go ahead. At least in England you know you are going to be completly ignored by the shop girl and given a huge tut if you actually ask them a question.

I think half you people beleive the hype!
I work for a large department store chain... and yeap I work in the customer service department so maybe I biased in my comparison. All I know is our company bend over backwards to make our customers happy... I could probably give you a good size list of things our compny do that you would not find in the UK. That aside I do find in general most companies here have a better standard of customer service... even with their fake smiles

I was talking to my mum on the phone the other day and she was telling me she had been shopping and that something was on sale for a really good price but it had sold out (the sale ended the next day) I said without thinking 'well why didn't you get a raincheck' she laughed and said 'this is england not america'.

Ash
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You really want the UK to have processed candy in the form of breakast food parading as breakfast cereal? Oh dear!
NC Penguin
I love cracklin oat bran, smart start and cornflakes with banana. Next trip back to the UK I am taking some with me because the only decent cereal I could find over there was cornflakes and Alpine.

Ash
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by delphiman
As for cereal...why oh why can you not get Kellogs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes here???? Is it due to them actually being healthy and not being loaded with colours and artificial flavours??
Honey Crunch Corn Flakes are the same ain't they?

http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/bran...=569&company=3

Ash
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Come now.....let's not come to blows over breakfast cereals. Don't get me wrong, I love Fruity Pebbles as much as the next guy but let's keep it civil shall we.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:13 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Just needs a "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him!" addition and you're all set to go. Afraid it's probably necessary as you mention Texas.
I have a t-shirt that says "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot." Gets rave reviews in the UK. In San Francisco, very sweet and concerned liberals could not believe I could wear such a shirt in Texas and escape bodily harm. I reassured them that the conservatives did not have a monopoly on self-defence

My standard introduction line whilst in Europe is "Yes, I am from Texas, and I $*(%)g hate George Bush."

As to Americana..... ICE. Please. If the global warming is going to cause the UK to have heat waves, ice is the only way to survive without air conditioning. So ice makers, even if they have to be wee ones to fit in the tiny freezer compartments. Failing that, freeze a bottle of Buxton water, remove, and smash on the floor. Hey presto ice cubes of a jagged sort.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Stupidly huge parking spaces....because I'm probably lossing the ability to park properly over here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.