Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Americana should the U.K. adopt

What Americana should the U.K. adopt

Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Americana should the U.K. adopt

Originally Posted by sibsie
I've got an American eco friendly front loader. No law that says you have to buy a top loader just because you live in the US.
The American mindset is that since top loaders have been used for donkeys years in the US, few Americans would think of buying anything except a front loader. Purchasing a front loader wouldn't even be considered for the average American.

But wait... If some high profile celebrities are reported to own front loader (accompanying pictures of them with their washing machines would be perfect PR), then watch the sales rise. Forget the intrinsic advantages of front loaders over top loaders...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Free refills of sodas in restaurants
especially coffee
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Have you thought about going back and actually finishing school?
school of manners?
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:17 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Mark's vote:

Free refills of sodas in restaurants

~ Jenney
Now if you'd asked me a couple of years ago then I would've voted for that too. However, the first summer we moved here I was mad for free refills (making up for 29 years of life without them) until I realised what it did to my waistline. But on the subject of restuarants, more UK establishments could do with having "to go" boxes.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:25 pm
delphiman

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But I think there are two aspects to customer service in the US:

1/ You haven’t bought anything yet
There’s a superficial, insincere niceness from the US seller who’s invariably on a commission, unlike his GB counterpart.

2/ You have bought something and it’s gone wrong
You can ***** off and die because US corps do not have the wit to put proper customer service systems together that allow for the fact something may go wrong. This is because they like to blame individual people rather than admit there’s anything wrong with their service. Unfortunately the universal denial precludes any cure for the issues, and the only thing that forces change is consumer litigation.

Im with FatBrit here. Smiling insincere gits that ignore you once you've handed over the greenbacks...I love to play em along, watching the "smiles" get more and more fixed as they wonder if im ever going to hand over some cash.

I personally abhore pressure selling and I actually find UK sales people to be more sincere...at least if they ignore you its coz thats how they are whether your flashing cash or wanting to complain. And as for complaining, I've had better responses at British stores than US ones.

As for cereal...why oh why can you not get Kellogs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes here???? Is it due to them actually being healthy and not being loaded with colours and artificial flavours??

Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspected this thread was a fight waiting to happen- didn't take long did it.

Some of you decided to honor the threads title and post accordingly. But others quickly came to the defense of their homeland whilst simultaneously seizing the opportunity to take shots at the good ole' US of A.

All we need now is a ring announcer and a referee......."and in this corner........weighing in at"

Last edited by Jabba1; Feb 21st 2005 at 1:03 am.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1

Some of you decided to honor to the threads title and post accordingly. But others quickly came to the defense of their homeland whilst simultaneously seizing the opportunity to take shots at the good ole' US of A.

All we need now is a ring announcer and a referee......."and in this corner........weighing in at"

Not much deduction there -- every thread is a fight waiting to happen on BE!
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:47 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1

Some of you decided to honor to the threads title and post accordingly. But others quickly came to the defense of their homeland whilst simultaneously seizing the opportunity to take shots at the good ole' US of A.

Can you imagine if contenders announced their weight?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:51 am
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Can you imagine if contenders announced their weight?

NC Penguin
most of the contenders' weight is easily counterbalanced by the amount of hot air they produce ...

Old Feb 21st 2005, 1:39 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

2/ You have bought something and it’s gone wrong
You can ***** off and die because US corps do not have the wit to put proper customer service systems together that allow for the fact something may go wrong. This is because they like to blame individual people rather than admit there’s anything wrong with their service. Unfortunately the universal denial precludes any cure for the issues, and the only thing that forces change is consumer litigation.
Strangley the best customer service I have had was from Sony when my DVD broke (twice), they where wonderful. For the most part I don't think customer service in the US is that special, if these people weren't doing it for the tips it wouldn't be as good as it is.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by delphiman
Im with FatBrit here. Smiling insincere gits that ignore you once you've handed over the greenbacks...I love to play em along, watching the "smiles" get more and more fixed as they wonder if im ever going to hand over some cash.
So you'd rather have them look miserable? If they did I bet you would complain about that too...

I need to stop looking at this forum-it always winds me up
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steff
So you'd rather have them look miserable? If they did I bet you would complain about that too...
How about them being genuine? That'd work for me.

Originally Posted by Steff
I need to stop looking at this forum-it always winds me up
Masochistic urges? The Yanks-in-UK forums always wind me -- they're all so friggin' polite to each other.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:37 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

How about them being genuine? That'd work for me.
Masochistic urges? The Yanks-in-UK forums always wind me -- they're all so friggin' polite to each other.
Hardly..... look at my signature!
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:44 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Hardly..... look at my signature!
Just needs a "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him!" addition and you're all set to go. Afraid it's probably necessary as you mention Texas.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:23 am
delphiman

Actually I used to think that UK customer service could learn from their US counterparts....now living here i realise thats not the case. In your face insincerity gets old very quickly. Just plain old sincerity is nice, even if it means being ignored until you cough politely a few times. A few American chains tried to get there UK stores to adopt the American Sales approach...it just didnt work. Im afraid we Brits are completly turned off by false niceties, like asking for and using someones first name in "jolly old arent we great mates even though ive just met you" style.

Anyway....Americana the UK should adopt....hmm none....we've got enough already to be honest, what with McD's, BK, and all the other Michellin Star food outlets, crappy TV shows, ambulance chasing lawyers, litigation, big SUV's that are completely pointless except as a statement of how much moolah you have.... How how about Britishisms the US should adopt?

BTW Steff...who's complaining? Just stating a personal opinion and saying how I like to play their games.

PS im not attempting to start an e-fight or slag off the US....just that British humour thing. Live with it. After all it is a *British* Expats site

Last edited by delphiman; Feb 21st 2005 at 3:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.