Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What American things do the Brits like?

What American things do the Brits like?

Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:17 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What American things do the Brits like?

Originally Posted by Bob
It's normally puffed pork skin over here than actual scratchings though...

Anyway, has anyone mentioned Whoppie Pies? They're pretty good...
Bob honey it's WHOOPIE pies, NOT WHOPPIE pies,

I love 'em, that and Devil dogs.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Bob honey it's WHOOPIE pies, NOT WHOPPIE pies,

I love 'em, that and Devil dogs.
All in the details I guess
Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Yes and it's a root beer float.
Nope - it's a "black cow"!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:17 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Nope - it's a "black cow"!
Depends on where you're from. I'll bet you say milkshake instead of frappe (prounounced frapp).
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:49 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

they sell Moxie in Sainsburys???????
why for the love of god, WHY????
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
they sell Moxie in Sainsburys???????
why for the love of god, WHY????
Bit random....but because it's awesome!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Depends on where you're from. I'll bet you say milkshake instead of frappe (prounounced frapp).
Yup and yup. I was only teasing about what the root beer float is - there's another name for it, too, that I can't remember. The "black cow" thing was what it was in the Chicago area in the 50's.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:57 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Yup and yup. I was only teasing about what the root beer float is - there's another name for it, too, that I can't remember. The "black cow" thing was what it was in the Chicago area in the 50's.
Have you ever had a Purple Cow??
Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:20 am
Just Joined

gecko1 will become famous soon enough

My family and friends in England go crazy over the (Hawaiian Host) chocolate covered macadamia nuts I bring back from here. I am guessing half my suitcase will contain the things on the trip back this year!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:16 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Sainsbury's sells it. There used to be a few A&Ws around too. I love the stuff, tastes like hospital smell.
Originally Posted by Englishman43
Root Beer tastes like Germolene smells - if that makes sense .
It does smell of hospital —been trying to explain that to friends here for years— glad I'm not the only one!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:58 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm? ... had something in Quebec in the '50s that was nick-named a vache au vin (roughly: a cow in wine). It was a large scoop of vanilla ice cream in grape soda. I think a red cow was the same in red-pop ... it was jokingly called a vache au sang, literally a bloody cow ... (well, not in the UK sense. ) A virgin, aka an ugly cow was vanilla ice in cream soda.

The only time I heard of a purple cow up in these parts (English Canada) it was used to mean 100% grain alcohol —alcool— in grape juice ... aka a Purple Jesus. (Drinking one is a religious experience in as much as you're very likely never to forget it!)

The most popular thing that I've brought back to England was real maple sugar ... it travels easier than syrup, (doesn't leak and would only be a tenth of the weight). It can even be crushed and made into things in place of sugar ... it always seemed to go over well, to the point where I'd get requests to send some over at Christmas in years when I didn't go back.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes - it was made with Grapette grape soda. Had to be Grapette because the other grape sodas were too weak and not flavorful enough. Wish you hadn't reminded me of that - I miss that tangy, fizzy grape drink.

There used to be a poem about a purple cow and even a giant stuffed purple cow you could buy. Always wanted one, but never got it. The poem read:
I've never seen a purple cow,
I hope I never see one, but
I can tell you anyhow -
I'd rather see than be one!
Funny how I've remembered that all these years. I don't expect any of the Brits to know of this "poem" but if there are any damnyankees out there born during or just after WWII, they may remember it!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:45 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sourdough bread.

My sister claims they aren't allowed it in England.

I have to pick up a couple of loaves on my way to the airport every visit and put them in my clothes in my suitcase.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sourdough bread.

My sister claims they aren't allowed it in England.
Mmmm, I love sourdough. However, both Sainsbury's and Tesco sell it (the ones in Oxford anyway).
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

I always ask for a multi-pack of Kraft Dinner. I love the stuff and like to have at least a 10-box stockpile in my cupboard at any one time . Though someone recently sent me a link showing that Amazon have started selling it on their UK site.

I used to ask for Mountain Dew too. I loved it when I was little, but then it disappeared from the UK market (probably because it made kids crazy). It seems to have reappeared in the last year or so though.

I second what someone else said about bringing chocolate. I'm a massive chocoholic, but when I go to the US my chocolate/candy consumption drops to 0 because it all tastes so bad. I make up for it by eating extra savoury fast and junk food, which is infinitely superior!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.