Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What American things do the Brits like?

What American things do the Brits like?

Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Rose of the Shires will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What American things do the Brits like?

We try to seek out a couple of 'lost in translation' gifts...in the past have taken 'Otis Spunkmeister' (sp?) cookies, a golf-ball picker up thingie called a shag bag, and some anti-saggy arse cream called 'Fanny Creme'.

Maybe not a good idea if it's for little ones or for your gran though
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad liked the jelly and peanut butter together in the same jar. But he was a kid in the war and remembers the peanut butter brought over by an American relative.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the pancake mix and maple syrup idea, although I'll have to wrap it very carefully! We live close to the Johnson Space Center so all the kids have the NASA t-shirts,patches,hats,pens etc already! The jelly and peanut butter in the same jar will go down well too.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Cheaper liquor, unless that's just my crowd. ;-)

I've actually seen the "Texas is bigger than France" t-shirt worn by a Londoner.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I've actually seen the "Texas is bigger than France" t-shirt worn by a Londoner.
+ 1
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
and duty free fags for the smokers!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

On my trip in Feb I took a zip loc bag filled with peanut butter filled pretzel pieces and kellogg fruit snacks for my 5 year old daughter so she had something familar from home to munch on. Well my sister ate most of her fruit snacks and her boyfriend thought the pretzel pieces were the best thing ever.

On my trip in march (very last min) I had to collect my prescription at Sams Club on the way to the airport so I got 2 huge packs of the pretzel pieces to take over.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

Coming from Houston, surely you have to bring someone back a cowboy hat.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonrob
Tins of chipotles in adobo sauce.

Mountain Dew.

Some nice west coast IPA.
I've seen Mountain Dew over here - and it's the better stuff made with sugar rather than HFCS
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:34 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
I've seen Mountain Dew over here - and it's the better stuff made with sugar rather than HFCS
Ok - I'll see your Mountain Dew - and raise you a Mountain Dew Code Red!

Bet you don't get that in Yeovil, eh? Eh??
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by md95065
Take back some root beer - that will stop them from asking you to bring things for them ...
Old Jul 26th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Levis jeans. They'll think you spent a lot. You didn't.

American cigarettes for the smokers. Something like Lucky Strikes or better still a brand that has an American spelling on the pack. The reverse of this is bring back some UK cigarettes for your American smoker friends. Rothmans and Dunhill are good brands to get.

CD's. If you can find a USA version of an album by a friend's fav band it is a good gift. Assuming they have and use CD's. This cannot be assumed anymore.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by md95065
Take back some root beer - that will stop them from asking you to bring things for them ...
'if I'd wanted a bottle of cough syrup I'd have bleedin' asked for some'

Root Beer is strange stuff. You either really like it - or can't stand it.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:01 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

A block of Velveeta and a can of Rotel.

Chicken n' biskit crackers.

Hot sauce(s) with humorous names.

BBQ sauce.

Are double stuff Oreos over there?

Amish health tonic. ( http://www.amazon.com/Yoders-Good-He.../dp/B004N6L7DG My FIL swears by the stuff)
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Get on I10 going west until you reach a place called Luling. Stop at the huge gas station there called Buc'cees. They have a gift store with all kinds of Texas stuff plus many many weird food things.

.......and make sure you use their restrooms. They are the best in the WHOLE of the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.