British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What am I supposed to do - desperate! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-am-i-supposed-do-desperate-483984/)

jumping doris Sep 28th 2007 7:59 pm

Re: What am I supposed to do - desperate!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5362446)
As an international student don't you have to have compulsory healthcare insurance? My daughter is a student in Canada and we have to purchase the university's insurance even though she is covered by our insurance.

All students at my daughters college have to have insurance. If you don't have your own they have some you can buy. It seemed quite reasonable but my daughter can stay on our insurance until she is 21 as long as she is in full time education.

Sally Sep 28th 2007 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5365846)
All students at my daughters college have to have insurance. If you don't have your own they have some you can buy. It seemed quite reasonable but my daughter can stay on our insurance until she is 21 as long as she is in full time education.

I think he's a post-doc. We had to make our own arrangements when my husband was here on J1.

Hiro11 Sep 29th 2007 3:16 pm

I can't imagine anything more terrifying than having to worry about your sight. It must be especially difficult when you're far away from the people you love. Best of luck to you, dukey. I'm sure it will all work out for the best.

Kaffy Mintcake Sep 29th 2007 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 5365498)
Both schools I attended I was required to have health insurane. May even be a federal regulation, I don't know (you know, the whole not becoming a burden sort of thing, etc.)

Same with mine. You are automatically signed up with the university's insurance and have to provide proof that you are covered otherwise to waive it. I think it is $300/quarter or $300 for 6 months - not sure which.

dukeynorton Oct 1st 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5366459)
I think he's a post-doc. We had to make our own arrangements when my husband was here on J1.

Correct!

Redlippie Oct 1st 2007 4:13 pm

Any news dukey? :(

TruBrit Oct 1st 2007 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Redlippie (Post 5374339)
Any news dukey? :(

think it's next monday his appointment.

dukeynorton Oct 1st 2007 7:42 pm

Yeh I have my appointment in Houston next Monday. It's a bit of an anxious wait!

Redlippie Oct 1st 2007 8:13 pm

*HUG*

dukeynorton Oct 1st 2007 10:49 pm

Anyone in Houston fancy putting me up for a night? I dont fancy the traffic on Monday morning from SA so will travel down on Sunday night and would love to avoid having to stay in a hotel. I'll buy dinner!! I'm a normal 27 year old attractive male!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Redlippie Oct 1st 2007 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by dukeynorton (Post 5375972)
Anyone in Houston fancy putting me up for a night? I dont fancy the traffic on Monday morning from SA so will travel down on Sunday night and would love to avoid having to stay in a hotel. I'll buy dinner!! I'm a normal 27 year old attractive male!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'd put you up if I lived there :):)

Jerseygirl Oct 2nd 2007 2:17 am

I won't be around next week...so I hope it all goes well for you. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat097 Oct 2nd 2007 2:30 am

I probably live too far out of Houston for you (62 miles from my door to med center)..........try going into Houston on 288 south in the morning and it's probably as bad as your trip down from SA. Anyway you would have to see me in my scrubs........:eek::eek:;)

Good luck mate!

SecretGarden Oct 2nd 2007 3:06 am

Just wanted to say that I hope you get a good result at your appointment. I was diagnosed with retinal pattern dystrophy in both eyes just over a year ago at age 42. Typically this is a juvenile onset condition so I have gotten lucky not having many symptoms until this age.

Currently there is no treatment for my condition, and I've noticed some significant changes in the last year.

Anyway, I hope that you get the information you are seeking, and hang in there.

:)

~SecretGarden

TruBrit Oct 8th 2007 8:50 pm

just back from waco a short while ago and wondered how your appointment went this morning??