Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is actually checked for naturalisation in the USA?

What is actually checked for naturalisation in the USA?

Old Jun 5th 2003, 1:32 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default What is actually checked for naturalisation in the USA?

I am due to move to USA in Autumn with my USC wife and i intend to apply for naturalisation at the earliest opportunity which is 3 yeasr from entry less 90 days for filing the application.

What eaxctly do they check up on for application? I ask because i have considerable debts in the UK due to my business failing. £70,000 odd. I am selling up to try to settle of the majority and have offered all creditors approx 75% so still arguing the toss with them about it, or i may just take insolvency/bankruptcy and have done with it that way.

The question is will this bite me later when i apply for citizenship in the USA? No dishonesty is invloved and these are all civil debts UK goverment is owed nothing, not a total idiot! Do the INS give a toss about bad debts in another jurisdiction? Does anyone have experience of this process and what background checks were done. Advice would help me calm down more than anything.

I have read other postings about UK debts and if anyone wishes to lecture about meeting obligations etc kindly keep it to yourself. Try being in business and going bust first because people dont pay you for your work. I know people mean well but i have had enough lectures about personal responsiblity, i got screwed some other credit companies may get screwed as well, lifes a bitch!

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 6th 2003, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is actually checked for naturalisation in the USA?

I can't answer your question about debts, but it seems it would not be likely they'd have usual access to that information. From what I understand, they mostly will be screening your identity and provided info. against the many known terrorists, groups, criminals and wanted people (and their affiliates) internationally.. mostly an interpol type of thing .

However, it seems you will not be applying for naturalization, but for a green card. You have to be a married permanent resident for 3 years before applying for naturalization or 5 years for other permanent residents.

Originally posted by 17782023
I am due to move to USA in Autumn with my USC wife and i intend to apply for naturalisation at the earliest opportunity which is 3 yeasr from entry less 90 days for filing the application.

What eaxctly do they check up on for application? I ask because i have considerable debts in the UK due to my business failing. £70,000 odd. I am selling up to try to settle of the majority and have offered all creditors approx 75% so still arguing the toss with them about it, or i may just take insolvency/bankruptcy and have done with it that way.

The question is will this bite me later when i apply for citizenship in the USA? No dishonesty is invloved and these are all civil debts UK goverment is owed nothing, not a total idiot! Do the INS give a toss about bad debts in another jurisdiction? Does anyone have experience of this process and what background checks were done. Advice would help me calm down more than anything.

I have read other postings about UK debts and if anyone wishes to lecture about meeting obligations etc kindly keep it to yourself. Try being in business and going bust first because people dont pay you for your work. I know people mean well but i have had enough lectures about personal responsiblity, i got screwed some other credit companies may get screwed as well, lifes a bitch!

regards,

Duncan