Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What the ****!!

What the ****!!

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:26 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default What the ****!!

Has a new language filter been added on here? i used my usual polite language on one of my posts and got **** instead. when did this happen? This is so ridiculous its that nonsense coming out of congress with the bill to ban swearing.

Here goes a wee tester:

Cock
Shit
Arse
Ass
bollocks
Wanker

i wonder how many survived?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:28 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: What the ****!!

Originally posted by Duncs
Has a new language filter been added on here? i used my usual polite language on one of my posts and got **** instead. when did this happen? This is so ridiculous its that nonsense coming out of congress with the bill to ban swearing.

Here goes a wee tester:

Cock
Shit
Arse
Ass
bollocks
Wanker

Hmm just the F*** word weird.

For more crap see:

http://thomas.loc.gov/ and type in H.R. 3687

Freedom of speech anyone?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Never needed to throw in the F bomb here, so I cannot say I am that worried about it.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:41 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Never needed to throw in the F bomb here, so I cannot say I am that worried about it.
Fine but you get to choose.

**** has distinct meanings based on the context in which it is used. When formally defined:

"****, n, 1680
usually obscene: an act of copulation
usually obscene: a sexual partner
usually vulgar: DAMN
usually vulgar: used especially with the as a meaningless intensive <what the **** do they want from me>"
Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, www.m-w.com (emphasis in original)
The Cambridge English Readers Online Dictionary adds more zest to the definition of **** and ****ing (emphasis in original):
"**** (EXTREME ANGER) exclamation offensive
used when expressing extreme anger or annoyance, or to add force to what is being said:
**** � the bloody car won't start!
Shut the **** up!
Who the **** does she think she is, telling me what to do?
****ing adjective, adverb offensive
used to emphasize a statement, especially an angry one:
What a ****ing waste of time!
He's a ****ing idiot.
He'd ****ing well better do it."

**** possesses incredible versatility. It can be a noun (you ****), a verb (everything Billy touches, he ****s up), and adjective (I'm really ****ing broke), an adverb (I've been ****ing drinking too much), an exclamation (holy ****, Batman!) or question (what the ****?). This verstility could partially explain the prevalence of the word and why it is so readily available to anyone with access to a computer, VCR, CD player, eight track recorder, DVD player, phonograph, cassette deck or Blockbuster Video outlet. It may explain why **** can be used in almost any sentence at any time no matter what the circumstances and why the word has become almost commonplace in United States culture and society.

Seems a shame to lose such a versatile and effective part of our online communication. My above qoutes will nopw be devasted by this silly filter but hopefully they are still understandable.

Last edited by Duncs; Mar 22nd 2004 at 5:49 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Fine but you get to choose.
And you get to clean up your act.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:47 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah but there are always way around these fücking things.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:51 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by Pimpbot
And you get to clean up your act.
In your view but who says i should have to or that you or anyone else has the right to force me to do so? Whats next?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

In your view but who says i should have to or that you or anyone else has the right to force me to do so? Whats next?
Its a privately run message board. The owner/operator can do just about as he likes. He's not forcing you to do anything. This isnt a civil rights movement for the freedom of swearing.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:33 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that it has something to do with someone who posted a thread on the Canadian board with f*** in the thread title for all to see, and a few people took exception. I find it rather pointless because we all know what it stands for anyway, and when you read it you read it as f*** in your head. I personally have no problem with swearing and swear quite a lot myself...it's rather cathartic! It's a very English thing though, to be so animated in one's expression. We have created quite a sub-culture in our language using swearing, and combined with inflection, swearwords convey so many emotions with added innervation. Possibly people of other cultures don't understand our particular quirk with regards to swearing.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 10:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Here goes a wee tester:

Cock
Shit
Arse
Ass
bollocks
Wanker

It is strange isn't it. I mean we are all grown ups here - well most of the time anyway. I'm also worried as to how Patrick will communicate.

I can swear a blue streak in Spanish, if that's any help to anyone, and I don't think the filters speak Spanish.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:43 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
It is strange isn't it. I mean we are all grown ups here - well most of the time anyway. I'm also worried as to how Patrick will communicate.
He'll be a virtual mute
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I drop the f-bomb here all the time.
such is life. It's there board, they can do as they see fit
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 4:22 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

(NSFW)

Celebrities swearing:
http://212.62.19.212/media/generic/swearing_4.swf
It's fúcking hillarious.

(Shockwave Flash file - either right click and "Save Target As..." [2.83mb] or just click on the link and it'll play (eventually after loading) in your browser.)
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 4:57 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Poor Duncan.

Are ye all ascared that ye'll hafta learn new words afore ye opens yer bake?

I bet I can come with a few the filter doesn't catch...lmao
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 5:00 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Oh come on man!

Just do what all the priests do an' say **** instead...lol

Apparently it really doesn't mean the same as the other "F" word but everyone thinks that it does........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.