Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

we've gotta get out of this place

we've gotta get out of this place

Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Jimbo6103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy we've gotta get out of this place

Hello there im 18 and i live in the south Wales Valleys, oh yes the best place to be where all the jobs are and a endless amount of things to do......yer right!

I left school 2 years ago now with 7GCSE and I still can't get a decent job, Factory work is about as far as it goes! Can't take this anymore. I'm looking at taking up a job in banking but, I have got to get out of this hole!

I really want to go to America, but how do I go about it please help me out im all out of ideas and still stuck in the hip happening VAlleys.....aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!

Please help Thanks in advance :scared:
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we've gotta get out of this place

Originally posted by Jimbo6103
Hello there im 18 and i live in the south Wales Valleys, oh yes the best place to be where all the jobs are and a endless amount of things to do......yer right!
I left school 2 years ago now with 7GCSE and I still can't get a decent job, Factory work is about as far as it goes! Can't take this anymore. I'm looking at taking up a job in banking but, I have got to get out of this hole!
I really want to go to America, but how do I go about it please help me out im all out of ideas and still stuck in the hip happening VAlleys.....aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!
Every 18 year old American says exactly the same thing...Go back to School a get a degree or 2 under your belt...
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I left school 2 years ago now with 7GCSE and I still can't get a decent job,
Is that it?
no A levels? no GNVQ? no HND?
let alone a degree as Ray6 mentioned.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:02 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a degree in Computer Science or win the lottery
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:25 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job

Try London, you don't need a visa.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:31 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Go to College, study business, go to University, study business, or finance, or accounting.
Go to London, work for an international firm; profit.
Maybe transfer to America or somewhere exotic in the world.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:00 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I have no GCSE's and can't count how many times I've been glad I have'nt needed them either!

Some work experience would go a long way too Jimbo!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
I have no GCSE's

you surprise me
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:26 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by BrigieDarling ...Some work experience would go a long way too Jimbo!
Jimbo, Actually I think Brigie has really hit the nail on the head here. Work experience with the right company will not only make you more marketable in the US, but if your next emloyer has a US office you might also be able to convince them to set up an intercompany transfer for you.

Best of luck, and if this is really something you want to do you can do it if you are persistant enough.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:33 pm

Originally posted by manc1976

you surprise me
How could you tell?
Old Sep 20th 2003, 2:00 am
Just Joined

loopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud of

I know I'm probably being pesimistic (speling?) here but I came over here on a H1B, basically maybe you could go for a visit to where u think you would like to station youself over here, then find a company thats willing to sponsor you, yep I did a'levels and a HND (turned into a bachelors over here) 3 yrs in college. But just make sure you are making the right choice, I miss home so much right now (cardiff) but going through the AOS right now. but crimbo I'm looking forward to the green green grass of home,

I know it prob didn't help much, but maybe take a look at where u wanna go first and make sure its the right choice then do everything in your power to get there,

Take Care
Old Sep 20th 2003, 2:31 am

Originally posted by loopsta29
I know I'm probably being pesimistic (speling?) here but I came over here on a H1B, basically maybe you could go for a visit to where u think you would like to station youself over here, then find a company thats willing to sponsor you, yep I did a'levels and a HND (turned into a bachelors over here) 3 yrs in college. But just make sure you are making the right choice, I miss home so much right now (cardiff) but going through the AOS right now. but crimbo I'm looking forward to the green green grass of home,

I know it prob didn't help much, but maybe take a look at where u wanna go first and make sure its the right choice then do everything in your power to get there,

Take Care
Awww Loopsta, that made me feel sad.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I really want to go to America, but how do I go about it?
There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

I hope this helps, but from what you have said there is very little hope that you will be able to get a visa to work in the US.

Not only that, but from 2004 there is going to be a two thirds reduction in the number of visas issued under (ii) above, and a restriction in the number of visas issued under (iii) above, to about 50% of the number of visas currently issued per annum of that type.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

lol..

Originally posted by Pulaski
There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

I hope this helps, but from what you have said there is very little hope that you will be able to get a visa to work in the US.

Not only that, but from 2004 there is going to be a two thirds reduction in the number of visas issued under (ii) above, and a restriction in the number of visas issued under (iii) above, to about 50% of the number of visas currently issued per annum of that type.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a job in banking but it will really be at the bottom of the scale, why not try a career course in banking at least that will make your look more banking material. After a couple of years moving up the ranks you may be able to get a working visa or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.