Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Westboro Baptist to protest Elizabeth Edwards funeral.

Wikiposts

Westboro Baptist to protest Elizabeth Edwards funeral.

Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Westboro Baptist to protest Elizabeth Edwards funeral.

Originally Posted by dbark
It was. Ironically, our son had been serving so that the WBC had the freedom to protest...
Certainly any decent person would pay their respects in the proper way. You do not have to be Christian to do that. These people are hypocrites and certainly have a different understanding of Christianity than me.
My condolences to you and your family on your sad loss.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Sound as a pound!

Here is another way to deal with these clowns:
Old Dec 13th 2010, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't get this at all. OK, these freaks are completely mad, but why can't people doubt their faith? Even Jesus did on occasion.
That, my friend, is a wonderful, wonderful observation. I love arguing with religious zealots and I would love to have that particular exchange with them!

Originally Posted by ironporer
God would get a lot more followers if the day of the funeral he decided to have a good thunderstorm....and all these twats were to be struck by a bolt of lightening.
I don't wish ill on many people, but - for these people I will make an exception. May they rot in hell, after a painful demise ...

My stepson was killed in action in Iraq this June. The Westboro Baptist church put out notices on their website saying they were going to picket at the funeral - we had the Patriot Guard and hundreds if not thousands of local people along the streets - they didn't show up. It adds stress to a very difficult time for families. Their website notice ended with "Thank God for IEDs" (it was an IED that killed our son.) Very nasty people.
What possible logic do they have for this? I'm sure I can read about it somewhere ...
Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't they on their way to the Supreme Court?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:17 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the title of this thread out of the corner of my eye and, for a moment, I thought it began "Westboro Rapist"!

I wonder what would happen if folks started referring to them as "The Westboro Rapists", every time their name came up?
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Now this might actually work against the WBC:

Originally Posted by The Indypendent
Perhaps the best tactic being employed (or about to employed) is by an LGBT support group in Dallas. According to The Advocate:
Plans by the notorious Westboro Baptist Church to protest the Resource Center Dallas, a northern Texas nonprofit that offers a variety of programs to LGBT and HIV-positive people, on July 9 have been turned into a fund-raiser. The center has launched an initiative called “Hell Freezes Over” and is asking local residents to donate an amount of money for each minute the protesters plan to picket both the center and Beth El Binah, a mainstream Jewish congregation with a longtime LGBT outreach that meets at the center. The center plans to use funds raised to buy a new ice machine for its meals program, which serves lunches to HIV-positive clients every weekday.
“The protesters have been known to abandon their protests when they’re turned into a fund-raiser,” says Bret Camp, associate executive director for the center’s health and medical services. “Whether the church shows up or not, this is a way for the North Texas community to stand with us against hate and help us with a timely need.”

http://www.indypendent.org/2010/07/0...er-productive/
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Now this might actually work against the WBC:

http://www.indypendent.org/2010/07/0...er-productive/
Fascinating stuff. This is what one of the 'comments' said on that page:
My synagogue, working with Resource Center Dallas, raised more than $10,000 to be used for programs feeding people with HIV as a result of the Phelps cult’s picket of us in Dallas. I think the message was clear. Turn hate into something productive. Don’t hide from it. Confront it.

That same day, the Dallas Holocaust Museum was picketed by the Phelps cult. A record number of people toured the museum that day. They got new memberships and donations. Holocaust survivors confronted the pickets. One said he’s seen worse in his time that a few stupid signs. Don’t run from hatred. Confront it. Stand up to it. Turn it into something productive.

Church groups, individuals, the community turned out to support us.
So it seems like it was a very successful counter protest! Love it!

I can see how they could protest gay rights issues. I support gay rights, but one is allowed to have a differing opinion. But protesting Holocaust museums, and funerals of fallen soldiers ... that's truly, truly sick.

So come on, Octang and Chartreuse, put your weaponry to good use and remove these people from the face of the earth ... you may win me over on gun control if you did that!

Last edited by Steerpike; Dec 15th 2010 at 1:21 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Theyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to all

My stepson was killed in action in Iraq this June. The Westboro Baptist church put out notices on their website saying they were going to picket at the funeral - we had the Patriot Guard and hundreds if not thousands of local people along the streets - they didn't show up. It adds stress to a very difficult time for families. Their website notice ended with "Thank God for IEDs" (it was an IED that killed our son.) Very nasty people.
Both my brothers are in the British Army, one of them has just come back from Iraq, i would hate to have put up with what you and your family had to put up with. I live in Australia and these people have made the news here and to the life of me i can not understand their reasoning....... and yes they are very nasty people

I'm so sorry for you loss
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did a bit more research. There's a documentary called 'Fall From Grace' that covers these hateful people. Here's a youTube posting that says part 1 of 9; I've only watched the first one so far but looks interesting.

Thank goodness I don't live in Kansas and have to be reminded of these people every day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZas-jnY6DI