Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

West Virginia - the racist state

West Virginia - the racist state

Old May 16th 2008, 10:31 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default West Virginia - the racist state

With more than 2 out of 10 white voters admitting that race was a factor in their decision, how racist must the state really be considering that such a question would likely not reveal the true numbers?

It seems that the campaign workers have also encountered racist abuse: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...203014_pf.html

Some of the comments in that article really show how big a gap there still is between black and white in the US.
Old May 16th 2008, 1:46 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West Virginia - the racist state

I don't necessarily agree with your assertion. In fact, I think it's surprising that 80% of voters don't think that race was a factor in making their decision, considering how racialized American society and politics is. What was the comparable figure for non-white West Virginia voters (black, Hispanic, Native American)?

As for the news article, I think The Onion could have had a better headline: "suburban naive white student's bubble burst after discovering crackers are dumb, racist":
On the ground, the Obama campaign is being driven by youngsters, many of whom are imbued with an optimism undeterred by racial intolerance. "We've grown up in a different world," says Danielle Ross. Field offices are staffed by 20-somethings who hold positions -- state director, regional field director, field organizer -- that are typically off limits to newcomers to presidential politics.
Old May 16th 2008, 2:05 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I don't necessarily agree with your assertion. In fact, I think it's surprising that 80% of voters don't think that race was a factor in making their decision, considering how racialized American society and politics is. What was the comparable figure for non-white West Virginia voters (black, Hispanic, Native American)?

As for the news article, I think The Onion could have had a better headline: "suburban naive white student's bubble burst after discovering crackers are dumb, racist":
I'm not quite sure I understand what assertion you don't necessarily agree with as you then seem to go on to say how divided the US is by race, which is the basic point here - despite so many assertions that racism is no longer as prevalent as it once was, it's clear that in some parts of the US that does not apply, and in fact that still spills over into many aspects of race relations in so called progressive states too.

Oh, and there are no non-white voters in West Virginia (well, almost) - here's a link to a set of information from 1990 (first thing that came up on google) that shows 96% of West Virginia was white at that time.
Old May 16th 2008, 2:07 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
With more than 2 out of 10 white voters admitting that race was a factor in their decision, how racist must the state really be considering that such a question would likely not reveal the true numbers?

It seems that the campaign workers have also encountered racist abuse: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...203014_pf.html

Some of the comments in that article really show how big a gap there still is between black and white in the US.
Whats your point, white bread??
Old May 16th 2008, 2:25 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by CarlM
Whats your point, white bread??
Ultimately the point is that there are plenty of people (some of whom post on here) who claim racism is not that big an issue in the US.

It's interesting to note that my daughter is as black as Obama is, but because (at this point in her life) she doesn't look like it, she wouldn't have the same issues as Obama.
Old May 16th 2008, 2:32 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Ultimately the point is that there are plenty of people (some of whom post on here) who claim racism is not that big an issue in the US.

It's interesting to note that my daughter is as black as Obama is, but because (at this point in her life) she doesn't look like it, she wouldn't have the same issues as Obama.
I worked for a College in SE Ohio a few miles from the WV border - to me it seemed the least racist place i have encountered. Not sure the borders of each state can be used as a justification for blanket categorization.
Old May 16th 2008, 2:34 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was mississipi and Alabama. I thought West Virginia was the inbred half-wit and mining accidents State ???
Old May 16th 2008, 2:41 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically, West Virginia was formed when it broke away from Virginia, after the latter had joined the Confederacy.

So you would think that West Virginia would be more progressive, given its heritage. Suppose not.
Old May 16th 2008, 2:42 pm
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I thought that was mississipi and Alabama. I thought West Virginia was the inbred half-wit and mining accidents State ???

"It's all relative in West Virginia!"
Old May 16th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

How many African Americans were asked if race was a factor in their votes?
Old May 16th 2008, 2:52 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by basementwaj
How many African Americans were asked if race was a factor in their votes?
I would imagine that if they were the percentage would have been much higher - Black Americans generally feel they are under-represented in the country as a whole for historical reasons. Having said that I think there is more of a hate of mixed relationships amongst the black community as a whole than the white community so perhaps that would play against Obama.
Old May 16th 2008, 3:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure people have voted for Obama because he is blackish, so it doesn't suprise me that people have voted against him for that reason as well. I think overall, race has proved more a factor than racism.
Old May 16th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine that if they were the percentage would have been much higher - Black Americans generally feel they are under-represented in the country as a whole for historical reasons. Having said that I think there is more of a hate of mixed relationships amongst the black community as a whole than the white community so perhaps that would play against Obama.
Hmm, i struggle to agree with your POV. I have had discussions with my AA friends who on the most part said they would not considder voting for HC as they would like to see a black man as president.
When i have the same conversations with my white American friends, there seems to be a different thought process involved with picking a candidate rather than having a representative of their race in the White House.
Now these are just generalizations of course, and as race and race discussions are such a mine field i feel this is a thread and a subject that we all need to tread very carefully with.
One generalization i will not make is to call an entire state racist as 20% of white voters have said that race is a factor. I think there is a lot more to it and as that dumb commercial suggests, 90% of facts can be made to say whatever you want 80% of the time (or something).
Could this not be a little propaganda from a pro Obama group?
Old May 16th 2008, 3:12 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by basementwaj
One generalization i will not make is to call an entire state racist as 20% of white voters have said that race is a factor.
Hey, New Jersey is the Garden State, but anyone who has only driven up the turnpike would wonder why.
Old May 16th 2008, 3:15 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care what color he is....I don't like him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.