Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

West Virginia

West Virginia

Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Caerl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default West Virginia

Please will you tell me what west virginia is like and would you recommend living there
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West Virginia

Originally Posted by Caerl
Please will you tell me what west virginia is like and would you recommend living there
Look up West Virginia in the "Urban Dictionary". Definition 26 is how my OH would describe it.

My only experience was driving through WV in early January in the snow on my way to Indiana. Finally found a gas station but couldn't get any gas as they only took cash and no ATM within 40 miles!! On my return journey I went through Kentucky - gorgeous.. much better drive..
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Look up West Virginia in the "Urban Dictionary". Definition 26 is how my OH would describe it.
There are some rather scenic parts though.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
There are some rather scenic parts though.
I have been told there are but it was covered in snow and a beast of a day so didn't really look around - just intent on my destination with my boxer dog in the back of the car trying to climb all over me!
My neighbours are from WV, well the husband is and Krystal physically wilts when she talks about having to go for the holidays.. they are relieved that they got out!
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Can you be more specific about what you'd like to know?

If you like scenery - it's beautiful. If you like whitewater rafting, it's incredible. If you like bungee jumping off a bridge... you'll get your chance once a year! If you like low taxes, it's mediocre. If you like inexpensive housing, it's great! If you like good schools, that'll depend on where you live! If you like a corrupt legal system, it borders on outstanding! If you like a front license plate on your car, you'll be disappointed... but you do get to have stickers on your window! If you like friendly people, it's superb. If you like overt religion and Baptists going to church on Wednesdays and Sundays... you'll love it!

Other things you might want to know... it is the only state that is located entirely within the Appalachians. Appalachia, by the way, is correctly pronounced: appa-latch-a ... and not appa-lay-sha! Say it properly and you'll fit right in.

As I've written elsewhere, my wife and I both work in WV... but we live in Kentucky!

Ian
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Appalachia, by the way, is correctly pronounced: appa-latch-a ... and not appa-lay-sha! Say it properly and you'll fit right in.
Really? Because I've never heard that before

Though only folks that talk about it are some hiking friends from Maine, and they speak funny up there as well
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Can you be more specific about what you'd like to know?

If you like scenery - it's beautiful. If you like whitewater rafting, it's incredible. If you like bungee jumping off a bridge... you'll get your chance once a year! If you like low taxes, it's mediocre. If you like inexpensive housing, it's great! If you like good schools, that'll depend on where you live! If you like a corrupt legal system, it borders on outstanding! If you like a front license plate on your car, you'll be disappointed... but you do get to have stickers on your window! If you like friendly people, it's superb. If you like overt religion and Baptists going to church on Wednesdays and Sundays... you'll love it!

Other things you might want to know... it is the only state that is located entirely within the Appalachians. Appalachia, by the way, is correctly pronounced: appa-latch-a ... and not appa-lay-sha! Say it properly and you'll fit right in.

As I've written elsewhere, my wife and I both work in WV... but we live in Kentucky!

Ian
I pretty much agree with that, as I lived in central WV in the late 70s, and spent 3 years in Parkersburg in the 80s. Parkersburg is probably quite different now from when I was there, but I did generally enjoy the time I spent in WV. It has had more than one governor end up in jail.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I live near WV but it's not a state that I think much about. Harper's Ferry is interesting historically and worth a visit. Occasionally I go to the horse racing at Charles Town.

WV is very white (some would say 'white trash'). It has the lowest percentage of foreign-born residents in the entire country (so that must say something about its appeal for immigrants) and has the lowest percentage of residents with a bachelor's degree. It's very rural. Small towns. Pretty scenery. Walmart is the state's largest employer. However, I know quite a few people who live in WV and take the "MARC" commuter train to DC for work.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 3rd 2012 at 11:53 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Parkersburg or charleston - to live?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Parkersburg or charleston - to live?
Where you gonna be working??
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Between Ravenswood and Ripley
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in that case: Point Pleasant.

Ian
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:22 am
Just Joined

wvmtnr is an unknown quantity at this point

Charleston has more to do than Parkersburg. WV is very different than any other state. These are mountain people, not city slickers. Very low crime. Very cheap housing. Very redneck. Schools in Putnam County are very, very good. Life and time move slower in WV. Church attendance here is very high. There are no large cities in the state but from Charleston you are a couple of hours to a one day's drive from some of the largest cities in America. Western WV doesn't get nearly the amount of snow as eastern WV because the west is much lower in elevation. In the east, you could be buried in snow for weeks or a couple of months at a time. In the west, you may have only 15 to 20 snowfalls per winter and they may only amount to 3 to 6 inches deep.