Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

West of NYC - Hotel/Town?

West of NYC - Hotel/Town?

Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default West of NYC - Hotel/Town?

I'm planning on bringing the family on a business trip next week to PA, and stopping at New York on the way back over the weekend. So basically, my company picks up the tab for gas.

I'll be approaching New York city from the West. I've got a one year old, so staying right in the city isn't entirely of interest to me, since it will be quiet evenings for us.

Does anyone know of a town West of the city that would be okay to stay in, that has a subway link to NYC?

A specific hotel recommendation would be ideal. Cheap, but not scary, is what I'm after.

And absolutely ideally, one of those extended stay type places with a separate living room area would be good. With the little one going to sleep at 7:00PM, staying in the room with him in the pitch black and in complete silence from that point forward isn't a tremendous amount of fun!

Thanks!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:34 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West of NYC - Hotel/Town?

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I'm planning on bringing the family on a business trip next week to PA, and stopping at New York on the way back over the weekend. So basically, my company picks up the tab for gas.

I'll be approaching New York city from the West. I've got a one year old, so staying right in the city isn't entirely of interest to me, since it will be quiet evenings for us.

Does anyone know of a town West of the city that would be okay to stay in, that has a subway link to NYC?

A specific hotel recommendation would be ideal. Cheap, but not scary, is what I'm after.

And absolutely ideally, one of those extended stay type places with a separate living room area would be good. With the little one going to sleep at 7:00PM, staying in the room with him in the pitch black and in complete silence from that point forward isn't a tremendous amount of fun!

Thanks!
That's a tough one. Firstly, there is no subway west of New York. There are PATH stations around Hoboken and Jersey City, and commuter trains further afield. I'd look into places like Suite hotels, such as Hilton Suites, which are catered (and can be self-catering), but offer a separate lounge room from the bedroom. Of the Hilton Suites, here are the ones near New York. Secaucus is the only one that might work out, as it's near a train station, unless you're oklay with staying in the Financial District in Manhattan.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I've only stayed in NJ once in my life when I went for a wedding... and guess what hotel I stayed in I at least know EXACTLY where that is!

I'll look into it.

Thanks for the other tips - didn't realize that about the subway. Though any train would do... just trying to avoid driving.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:08 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Wow, I've only stayed in NJ once in my life when I went for a wedding... and guess what hotel I stayed in I at least know EXACTLY where that is!

I'll look into it.

Thanks for the other tips - didn't realize that about the subway. Though any train would do... just trying to avoid driving.
Cool. Looking at it, the Secaucus Embassy Suites are about two exits north of the Secaucus Junction train station, so you'll still have to drive there. If you can, avoid Newark, though... T'is a scary place.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

Is this on your way back up to Boston (judging from your profile on the left) from PA? If so, you could also snoop around for a hotel suite in Westchester County, which has train lines that go into the city too. Quick rides of 20 something minutes into Grand Central. White Plains has express trains in and has business apts and hotel accommodation (suites), and then other towns along the way down (Hartsdale, Scarsdale, Crestwood, Tuckahoe, Bronxville) may have something for you too. There are also trains along the other side of town -- Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Tarrytown (which definitely has a good selection of hotels) too; best not to stay much further south than the Hastings station on that side of town.)

And then as someone has already mentioned, NJ has it's share too.

If driving into the city and hotel prices aren't a worry, I'd try a hotel in the city anyway; even if you're not going out at night, it's still great to get up there and really enjoy the place. Are you planning to visit NYC for a couple of days -- whereby you'd be commuting between where your staying and the city a couple of times during your visit?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyBelle
If driving into the city and hotel prices aren't a worry, I'd try a hotel in the city anyway; even if you're not going out at night, it's still great to get up there and really enjoy the place. Are you planning to visit NYC for a couple of days -- whereby you'd be commuting between where your staying and the city a couple of times during your visit?
I'd agree with this. Don't waste your time trying to figure out trains (especially with a 1 year old) and just find a hotel somewhere in the city, preferably one with many many floors (get a very HIGH floor, > 20th or > 30th floor if possible).

I lived off of 57th Street on the 11th floor and it was noisy, but when we moved up to the 25th it was far more sedate and calm. Fire trucks are fire trucks, but the basic street noise was gone that far up.

I'd just find a place near where you want to visit, probably Midtown a few blocks north of Times Square maybe and then you can hit the Park, Times Square, and 5th Avenue all in a quick walk.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

Yes, and around there on 56th/57th Street between...near 7th Avenue (and maybe 6th Avenue?), there's a hotel that has a nice suite-like room; one of the best rooms we ever stayed in and it was with our 2 year old too. Maybe Penguin will remember the name of the hotel --- it may be the Meridien? I think it's across from Patsy's --- or a Patsy's like place --- too. Not sure how much, but may be worth checking into. Great location and noise was not a problem; I think we were on 17th floor (if there is one! .

Last edited by LadyBelle; Aug 12th 2008 at 12:06 am.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

there is a great best western in midtown called the hospitality house - very high standard and the rooms are all suites with lounge too - usually a good deal, nice part of town - not too noisy and safe. Otherwise i would recommend coming out to Westchester - we live in Rye and there is a Marriot and a Hilton nearby - about 45 mins into the city on the train which may be too much.

Dont be afraid of the city - it is very safe these days (as long as you arent stupid) and its easier than trying to get in
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the tips. I was wary of staying in the city, but I should perhaps consider it more. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ridski
That's a tough one. Firstly, there is no subway west of New York. There are PATH stations around Hoboken and Jersey City, and commuter trains further afield. I'd look into places like Suite hotels, such as Hilton Suites, which are catered (and can be self-catering), but offer a separate lounge room from the bedroom. Of the Hilton Suites, here are the ones near New York. Secaucus is the only one that might work out, as it's near a train station, unless you're oklay with staying in the Financial District in Manhattan.
Well, I've gone with Ridski's suggestion and booked a room at the Hilton in Secaucus. The hotels right in the city were a bit too pricey for me. This Hilton was a fairly reasonable $180/night for a suite (seperate living room). As a bonus, I had enough Hilton points saved up to get one night free, so works out at $90/night for me.

We've decided to be realistic about our abilities to pop around NY with a toddler, so will only be going in on the Saturday. Which means going in and getting out of the center just once, making staying outside the city seem a little less daft. The hotel website says it has a bus that stops outside and can get you to Times Square in 15 mins... so we'll see!

On the Sunday, we'll still have 4-hours of driving to do, so we'll just head for home rather than trying to get in and out again.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've actually been to NY before, but that was in '99, so it's certainly been a while. Should be fun!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

My extremely small East coast adventure has begun. Drove 8-hours from Boston to Lewistown, PA yesterday. Made the HUUUGGE mistake of blindly trusting my sat nav, that took me through the Bronx. It was at 3:00, so traffic was JUST moving, but could easily have avoided it.

Plan tomorrow is to deliberately go via NYC and stay 2-nights

This area of PA has absolutely gorgeous scenery, but the locals leave a little to be desired. Went to find beer last night (as you do ). Just wanted to pick up a 6-pack. Got directions to what was basically a sketchy bar in a house, but that did serve packs from a fridge. Was grabbed by some drunk local who insisted on buying me a beer... with the wife and child outside I said "I've got some people in the car waiting for me, I can't"... to which he responded "I'm sure we're more fun in here!". I couldn't question the man's logic, but out of decency I quickly bought my 12-pack (increase in beer upon deciding I'm NEVER going to attempt this again) and got out of there.

All good fun
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for the tips... the trip to NY was a success! The hotel in Secaucus worked a treat. A bus stopped LITERALLY just outside the hotel... just walked a few steps to get it. The bus runs 24 hours and stops about every 15 mins. Only cost $2.50 each way per person and took about 15 mins if that, to quickly nip through the Lincoln Tunnel and hit Times Sq. Would highly recommend the hotel if you are watching the pennies, though it did lack activities in the evening. No problem if you have a baby of course

Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:37 pm
Diamond Geezer

Yay! Success!

Hope you had a great little weekend, Hobbes!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Glad you had a nice time -- great weather too.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks! Yes, amazing weather... ended up with a bit of a tan.