Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We're coming over

We're coming over

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default We're coming over

We're moving to Washington State in the next few months (Visa permitting) and I'm now panicking.
We are being given a week to go out to look at areas, schools etc for when we relocate but I'm at a loss to where to start.

I have no idea where we really want to live, although I'll pick somewhere where the schools are good but where on earth do I start to look for school info.

And another thing....how quickly did it take most of you to learn to drive on the right? Something I am terrified of doing along with driving an automatic lol

Apologies for flapping but I'm beginning to realise the enormity of it all
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:58 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're coming over

http://www.greatschools.org/
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps

And another thing....how quickly did it take most of you to learn to drive on the right? Something I am terrified of doing along with driving an automatic lol
I was TERRIFIED of driving 'on the wrong side,' however a two mile walk to the nearest supermarket in 100 degree heat last summer, then carrying the shopping back, made me have a re think

A week later DH got me a car (shift) and a sat nav and I was off, when I went back to the UK I found it much harder to drive over there, I promise it really isnt as bad as you think.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

www.city-data.com is a good sight to have a look at too.

As for driving...you'll be fine. An automatic is way easier than a stick shift and the roads are so large that you can just follow everyone else
I recommend a gps...it'll make life so much easier.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you! Those 2 websites might have just saved my sanity!

A Sat Nav is a must even for me driving over here. I know where Tesco is but other than that I haven't a clue. Gawd....I'm really not looking forward to driving, even if it is in the slipstream of the car in front

I've so many other mundane questions, I hope I don't bore too many of you silly with them over the next month or so

Thank you again.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I was terrified of driving on the left, and then worried about driving on the right, but now I'm schooled on both sides and soon you will be too.

Well welcome (soon) to Washington State. Not sure where you're going to be, but I can say that there are a few good school districts to look at. If you're up around Bothell (or that area) there is the North Shore School District which seems to have really good test scores. As ABY suggested, the website Great Schools is really good to look at.

Good luck with your move!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:58 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Those 2 websites might have just saved my sanity!

A Sat Nav is a must even for me driving over here. I know where Tesco is but other than that I haven't a clue. Gawd....I'm really not looking forward to driving, even if it is in the slipstream of the car in front

I've so many other mundane questions, I hope I don't bore too many of you silly with them over the next month or so

Thank you again.
You've driven a bumper car at the fair, right? Well, alright, you have a brake. But it's push the accelerator to go - or push the brake to stop. How is that difficult and why are you "terrified" about it? It's far easier than driving a stick.

Nah, the thing you should be terrified of is turning left.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE hubcaps, you are moving to a beautiful part of the US, I am very jealous

Don't worry too much about the driving, if I can do it, anyone can!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:32 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Driving was my main worry before moving as well which was actually a good thing. I was so worried about driving that nothing else got a look in - even selling our house didn't faze me.

When we came over for our week long pre-relo trip (Aug 07) hubby had me driving round the hotel car park to get a feel for an automatic. When we actually arrived (June 08) we picked up the rental car and he handed me the keys and said I am not driving again until we get our own cars. I haven't looked back since. As others have said if I can do it so can you
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:40 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

For your recon trip, I would recommend your husband talk to some folks at his new office to find out where they live, where they commute from. Get a list of city names narrowed down before you even get on the plane.

Then take a look at the city-data message boards for the state of Washington and post a question or two about some cities.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washington/

Your commute is a major factor in where you will be living. You can find the nicest place in the world looking online but when you discover it's 90 minutes without traffic to the office that sort of kills the whole idea.

The greatschools site can also compare between different school districts, and the site http://www.realtor.com/ can give you an idea of the housing stock (and average prices) in that area for new homes (though the recommendation is RENT FIRST for at least 3 months to make sure a) you are in the right area you want to live and b) you don't want to quit and go back home to the UK).

Driving is really not a big deal. The automatic will soon become something you like (unless you really like stick) and as for driving on the right it's really not that hard. It's just when you take a few odd turns (i.e. a turn where you have to stop halfway through) and you headcheck the wrong way looking for oncoming traffic. Can take a bit of getting used to
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Driving is easy - just follow the other cars!

There are two things that I found you have to be careful with for the first few days:

- if you are leaving a parking lot and turning onto a street where there are no cars you have to be careful about which side of the street you end up on

- if you are driving along a one way street on the "wrong side" then be careful when turning into a normal two way street that you get back onto the "right" side again

The same applies when going back to the UK except that, if you know a particular place and are driving along familiar streets, there is no problem.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Driving is easy.

Where to live....depends on how long your prepared to commute I'd guess as a starting point and then cross linking those locations with that school listing site.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Driving is easy.

Where to live....depends on how long your prepared to commute I'd guess as a starting point and then cross linking those locations with that school listing site.
That's what we're doing, I just didn't know about schools etc. HR are are worse than useless "everywhere's nice". Although having been to WA before I am tending to agree with them there

I've now got some brilliant links to sites so have been spending the day looking on them.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We're moving to Washington State

And another thing....how quickly did it take most of you to learn to drive on the right?
Driving is much easier in Washington State then anywhere else, you just pick a lane and stay in it regardless of what speed you are doing and how many vehicles are trying to pass. On freeways passing on both sides seems to be the norm as most people in WA drive in either the middle or fast lane.

On other roads just signal and assume everyone else will stop, slow down or pull over to allow you to do whatever you want and you will fit right in. On no account attempt to drive properly it will make you stand out as a visitor.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Pacific NW, Hubcaps! I have to say, expats out here seem to be happier than most anywhere else.

If it's the Seattle area you're headed to, it will be all about the commute. You'll want to pin down where Mister will be working and work outward from that or you'll never see him. Part of the problem with our geography out here is that there aren't as many roads as you'd expect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.