Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Welsh & moving to NYC in Jan 2020 - advice?

Welsh & moving to NYC in Jan 2020 - advice?

Old Sep 15th 2019, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Welsh & moving to NYC in Jan 2020 - advice?

Do you appreciate how long you would need to wait before you can work.

I assumed servers made that in NYC.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 3:57 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If you look at the fact that the average salary for a secretary in NYC is about $36K, with a legal secretary averaging $50-60K, why would a company pay a mere $55K to someone who is allegedly so valuable to their restaurant that they are importing him from the UK?
Probably because they don’t work 9-5, they probably work from 8am till after midnight with a couple of hours break at some point.

I was at a NYC Wagamama a while back and was surprised to hear servers with English accents, but from an employers point of view it makes sense... they probably have high turnover, so having someone tied to a visa stops them hopping to another job.

Also they would want staff that have experience with the product for consistency, salary seems to fit with a Sous chef there, it would make sense to be one of the UK “fast casual” chains:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Wagamama/salaries

Last edited by tht; Sep 15th 2019 at 3:59 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

Probably because they don’t work 9-5, they probably work from 8am till after midnight with a couple of hours break at some point.

I was at a NYC Wagamama a while back and was surprised to hear servers with English accents, but from an employers point of view it makes sense... they probably have high turnover, so having someone tied to a visa stops them hopping to another job.

Also they would want staff that have experience with the product for consistency, salary seems to fit with. Sous chef there:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Wagamama/salaries
But the OP's OH is supposed to be setting up a restaurant, not waiting tables!
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:02 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

But the OP's OH is supposed to be setting up a restaurant, not waiting tables!
yes, the salary matches with a Sous Chef not a server. Server says 30k. Front of house manager and assistant GM are up in the 50-60k range as well.

Last edited by tht; Sep 15th 2019 at 4:04 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do you appreciate how long you would need to wait before you can work.

I assumed servers made that in NYC.
Even when she can, it doesn’t seem the salary will make a great deal of difference when living in NYC.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

yes, the salary matches with a Sous Chef not a server. Server says 30k.
To me, "setting up a restaurant" sounds administrative, rather than hands-on cooking or serving -- but I am no expert on the restaurant business!
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:12 pm
tht

To me, "setting up a restaurant" sounds administrative, rather than hands-on cooking or serving -- but I am no expert on the restaurant business!
yes that would be a GM.... and that showed around 60k..
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

This recent cnbc article reckons it takes an income of $350k/year for a family of 4 to live a “middle class” life in NYC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/you-...heres-why.html
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

As ludicrous as 55k is, I think the numbers being thrown around in the last couple of posts are a bit silly too. Pulaski may well have lived in NYC, but 200k minimum is a bit hyperbolic. A young couple can make it work on 130-150 pretty easily, and a single person with that income will be very comfortable, unless they want to live in TriBeCa or somewhere like that. Any less than that, and it’d start to get uncomfortable, but still somewhat doable. I had a bonus, but my annual base was only slightly over 100k and I was fine there as a single person, lived in a small 1 bed in Williamsburg, had a very active social life, went home frequently etc

The 350k figure is just stupid. Perhaps for private school, Manhattan, multiple vacations etc...but it’s still a relatively small portion of the population who’ll have that kind of income. Obviously 350 isn’t ‘live wherever and do whatever you want’ kind of money, but it’s still very good. The idea that 350 is any kind of benchmark is silly.

Whenever these threads show up, it always ends up veering into ‘omg you need 400k minimum or you’ll be on the streets!!!’ territory. There is a happy medium.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by pejp
As ludicrous as 55k is, I think the numbers being thrown around in the last couple of posts are a bit silly too. Pulaski may well have lived in NYC, but 200k minimum is a bit hyperbolic. A young couple can make it work on 130-150 pretty easily, and a single person with that income will be very comfortable, unless they want to live in TriBeCa or somewhere like that. Any less than that, and it’d start to get uncomfortable, but still somewhat doable. I had a bonus, but my annual base was only slightly over 100k and I was fine there as a single person, lived in a small 1 bed in Williamsburg, had a very active social life, went home frequently etc

The 350k figure is just stupid. Perhaps for private school, Manhattan, multiple vacations etc...but it’s still a relatively small portion of the population who’ll have that kind of income. Obviously 350 isn’t ‘live wherever and do whatever you want’ kind of money, but it’s still very good. The idea that 350 is any kind of benchmark is silly.

Whenever these threads show up, it always ends up veering into ‘omg you need 400k minimum or you’ll be on the streets!!!’ territory. There is a happy medium.
I agree. Double the OP's offer, and I see it as being perfectly feasible. It isn't necessary to live in Manhattan with all the cost that entails, there are some good places in Queens or Brooklyn (depending which part of town the job is in.).

Last edited by Nutmegger; Sep 15th 2019 at 5:25 pm. Reason: Phone rang before I'd finished my thought!
Old Sep 15th 2019, 5:30 pm
tht

When I moved to NYC in 2010 I rented my first place in the EV for $1,650 a month with no fee. No credit was the issue so I just did a 3 month rental and paid it all up front, so 4 months total with deposit. That was a wing 2 bed, but I used the larger bedroom as the living / guest room. My bedroom fit a double bed but that blocked opening the closet. The place I rented from had a studio today for $2,200, up in Harlem, that’s still Manhattan: Short term rental apartments in NYC | Nofeerentals.com

Also compared to other places most buildings in NY include heat and water etc, I only had to pay electric and cable (which is optional) and there is plenty of open WiFi in some buildings.

Way back in the day when I lived in London, I had friends who worked in hospitality, they all seemed to share flats, I had 1 friend who had 6 people in a 2 bed with people in the living room and sharing bed rooms, they all seems to go out drinking after work and he places that had deals for people who worked in the industry, they also often go free meals at work.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I wish people wouldn't throw around numbers like $200K or the preposterous $350K. How are new posters supposed to take anything they read on BE seriously if these kind of fantasy land numbers keep being thrown around??

NYC is home to a huge cross-section of people, from most walks of life. There are thriving art, music, theatre, dance, etc. communities -- do people really think they just all live in abject poverty?? It is possible to live a decent existence on modest wages here. No, you won't have two cars (wtf you would do with ONE car let alone TWO here is beyond me) and you will almost certainly need to leave your building to do your laundry. But that is hardly living in squalor.

There are decent groceries to be had, at non-extortionate prices, once you leave Manhattan, which means feeding yourself can be quite economical. As for eating out, there are wonderful options at all price points, more so than anywhere else I have been in this country. No, you won't be eating steak in the City, but you can get delicious, authentic examples of most cuisines from around the world; it is not so difficult to find non-fast-food dinner for two for $30.

As has been said already: the OP needs to find out about the health insurance situation. I would also recommend asking whether this job is "exempt" (i.e., exempt from overtime) and looking at the estimated hours per week. My first job here was low-paying, exempt, with high base hours, which made for a particularly terrible deal.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 9:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by retzie
I wish people wouldn't throw around numbers like $200K or the preposterous $350K. How are new posters supposed to take anything they read on BE seriously if these kind of fantasy land numbers keep being thrown around??

NYC is home to a huge cross-section of people, from most walks of life. There are thriving art, music, theatre, dance, etc. communities -- do people really think they just all live in abject poverty?? It is possible to live a decent existence on modest wages here. No, you won't have two cars (wtf you would do with ONE car let alone TWO here is beyond me) and you will almost certainly need to leave your building to do your laundry. But that is hardly living in squalor.

There are decent groceries to be had, at non-extortionate prices, once you leave Manhattan, which means feeding yourself can be quite economical. As for eating out, there are wonderful options at all price points, more so than anywhere else I have been in this country. No, you won't be eating steak in the City, but you can get delicious, authentic examples of most cuisines from around the world; it is not so difficult to find non-fast-food dinner for two for $30.

As has been said already: the OP needs to find out about the health insurance situation. I would also recommend asking whether this job is "exempt" (i.e., exempt from overtime) and looking at the estimated hours per week. My first job here was low-paying, exempt, with high base hours, which made for a particularly terrible deal.
I lived in a cheap hole in the wall in the Bronx when I moved here and was totally happy—but I was very young and moved for love! Did you want to get a foot in the door in the US, so that you were willing to put up with a less than perfect situation when you arrived? The husband of the OP has apparently been asked to move to NYC by his employer, which to my thinking means he should be put in a position where he is able to afford more than a bedsit for him and his wife.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spinellie
I've heard that from someone else, but always difficult to know what 'comfortable' means to other people. Currently I'm in London (also a ridiculously expensive city) on around £28k pa and for me that is really liveable at this stage in my life. My husband is on £45k in the UK and has been told he'll be on a comparable salary in the US, but that hasn't been completely confirmed yet. Good to know we should probably try to negotiate if poss anyway.
The question is what "comfortable" (which must include safe) means to you !

This may be wrong - but from your posts it looks like you're expecting life in the US will at least afford you a standard of living equivalent to what you now enjoy in the UK.
And that the amenities, indulgences and pleasures you can afford - (modest tho' they may be) - will be affordable in NY.
But keep in mind that to maintain that standard of living - you and your husband rely upon your combined salaries of £73k (don't you?).
As a couple, if you suddenly had to depend upon your husband's salary alone - could you (as a couple) continue to afford your current London life style?

Could you maintain the standard of living you now enjoy - if your total annual income was reduced to just £45k?

And if the answer is NO - then I'd suggest you not make this move !
Unless your OH is offered a base salary of :
£73k (which is your combined current total income ) ....
x 2 (this is the suggested doubling of current income - necessary to achieve an equivalent uk / us lifestyle when moving from London to NY) =
£146k TOTAL = ~ $180,000
(and this figure doesn't even address the serious issue of Medical Insurance costs etc.)

Lots of numbers have been thrown around in this thread. It's easy to get confused.
I am not saying one must earn $180,000 pa to live in NY
I am saying that to approximate your current London living standard - that is what you would need.

Also...keep in mind - furnished rentals in NY are few and far between.
So in addition to the expenses you'll face for security deposits and possible broker or rental agent fees, utility deposits, etc. - you will have the additional costs for furnishing the rental and buying the necessary kitchen basics (maybe the restaurant can make a house-warming contribution ) etc.

I hope you'll be able to embark on what could be a great adventure - but also hope you turn it down if it's not affordable.
And, with the current salary offer - it's definitely not!
Old Sep 16th 2019, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp

Just to clarify .... Pulaski has not lived in New York City. He lived briefly in New York State's Westchester County.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.