Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Well, We're Here -- 2 dollars to the pound

Well, We're Here -- 2 dollars to the pound

Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

jemetpl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Supergirl
I think that Georgia has hurricanes sometimes but we've been pretty lucky since we've been here.
We did have one tornado last year that came within 2 miles of our apartment.
That must have been great! I've always wanted to do a storm chasing holiday so it must be great to be able to watch a tornado without having to leave home.

Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Supergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I do like extreme weather but when you live in an apartment shed, it's no fun.
One day my husband came back from work to find me in the bath, in a sleeping bag, wearing my horse riding helmet, with a phone, torch and our two guinea pigs.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Around this part of Georgia (the Atlanta area) houses seem to be around $250,000 for a decent three/four bedroomed house, depending on area.
But......and here's a big but, all the houses here are sheds. This means that they are built out of what looks like chip board held together with a couple of nails. We do get tornados in this area, and it's heart braking to think that you could spend so much money on a shed that will blow down.
In fact I've heard about people accidentally getting shot whilst inside their own home because the walls are just a piece of wood.

That's what a lot of the houses and apartments are built out of here in FL too- I'd be terrified living on the second/third floor with just chipboard for outer walls. I was going to take a photo of a 300 apartment complex just built locally to send to my friends in UK- they don't believe me!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

My Dad, who's a carpenter, laughed his head off when he saw some of the buildings here.

The one thing I am worried about is fire - so many houses and apartment blocks burn to the ground here because of how they are built.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

jemetpl is an unknown quantity at this point

My Dad, who's a carpenter, laughed his head off when he saw some of the buildings here.

The one thing I am worried about is fire - so many houses and apartment blocks burn to the ground here because of how they are built.
I would have thought that the Goergians would have learnt their lesson after their run-in with General Sherman!!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

ya would have thought so.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

One day my husband came back from work to find me in the bath, in a sleeping bag, wearing my horse riding helmet, with a phone, torch and our two guinea pigs.
There are a couple of websites that deal with those sorts of fetishes you know
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

...thanks............well, what are they then?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm just trying to figure out what you are referring to as "chipboard?" I live in a tornado prone area as well, here in Kentucky. Houses here either have aluminum siding or bricks on the outside. But I just love the stupid igits who live in trailers despite knowing they live in a flood & tornado area.

And where are you guys hearing about all of these apartment complexes burning down? I've not heard of any on the news. And talk about fire hazards! When I lived in London and Glasgow, I couldn't help but notice almost all flats, buildings are connected to each other. If one goes up, the others go too. At least here, unless you are in the older section of some of the older cities, your apt. building isn't going to be connected to another one.

But I guess that's why all the fire detectors in the hotels and flats are so damn sensitive as to be ridiculous. One of my flatmates set it off because she was standing near it with her hair dryer (& not pointing the dryer at it). Another block's fire alarm went off when some guy opened up the bathroom and let the steam from his shower out.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Ok, I'm just trying to figure out what you are referring to as "chipboard?" I live in a tornado prone area as well, here in Kentucky. Houses here either have aluminum siding or bricks on the outside. But I just love the stupid igits who live in trailers despite knowing they live in a flood & tornado area.

And where are you guys hearing about all of these apartment complexes burning down? I've not heard of any on the news. And talk about fire hazards! When I lived in London and Glasgow, I couldn't help but notice almost all flats, buildings are connected to each other. If one goes up, the others go too. At least here, unless you are in the older section of some of the older cities, your apt. building isn't going to be connected to another one.
Too often on the news here in Georgia we hear about apartment blocks or houses burning down.
As to the chipboard question.....it's like lots of chunks of wood suck together to make a plank. I maybe wrong but I think that's what it is. Whatever it is, it's crap and shouldn't be used to build houses, etc. out of!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 5:57 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jemetpl

It's also a pretty good time to be going to the States on holiday.

LOL your not wrong there, I have 4 different groups of friends/family visiting this year.

Why can't they all just go to Blackpool !!!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

I know the feeling. We had three lots last year including my husbands parents staying with us for 4 WEEKS
Not a good 4 weeks I can tell you
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

I know the feeling. We had three lots last year including my husbands parents staying with us for 4 WEEKS
Not a good 4 weeks I can tell you
Really, and did your "lots" like the US? Was it their first visit?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

For my parents and friends it was their first visit and they loved it. A bit stressed out about the driving in Atlanta but apart from that, they really enjoyed their stay.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 10:07 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
As long as you don't intend to return to the UK then it does not matter what the exchange rate falls to. I personally got $1.61 when I emigrated to Tampa last July and certainly have no intention of returning to "cool Brittania" . If it creates more jobs in the US then let it fall. I can see that the UK is going to have a very hard landing soon as it gets to expensive to live there. When I lived in the Uk my wife and I were earning over 100K a year and our lifestyle was not anything special now that we are in the states we are earning half that and our lifestyle is far better. With swimming pools and just about everything cheaper. The only things \I have found that are more expensive are Utilities , Car Insurance and House Insurance. Also it is a little known fact in the UK that US cell phones use up their credit when someone telephones them. As for US homes being made of chipboard this is incorrect. My home is a 2 storey the first storey is made of Brick and the second floor is made of wood sheeting. The main reasons for this is the Florida Heat. Wood is more flexible and so will not Crack as easily as brick also the Building Codes here are far tougher here than in the UK due to the houses having to withstand hurricanes. I had a modern built UK house which I sold for £320k and It was a load of Crap. The house I have now cost me £210 and I can honestly say that It is a great deal more solid than UK houses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.