Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Well that was a breeze...

Well that was a breeze...

Old Dec 11th 2013, 10:51 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough
Default Well that was a breeze...

Just got back from Colorado after popping over to meet the green card expiration date. I went with my wife, left the two kids at home with family and was nervous about the interview with customs...well no, need. Arrived at the counter to be taken to the office where I wa called over had fingerprint taken twice, signed a couple of times and that was that....welcome the the US of A

Flew back to Heathrow 6 days later and now just got to get everything tied up for after Easter...
Old Dec 12th 2013, 12:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well that was a breeze...

Originally Posted by yukichon
Just got back from Colorado after popping over to meet the green card expiration date. I went with my wife, left the two kids at home with family and was nervous about the well no, need. Arrived at the counter to be taken to the office where I wa called over had fingerprint taken twice, signed a couple of times and that was that....welcome the the US of A

Flew back to Heathrow 6 days later and now just got to get everything tied up for after Easter...
Regarding the bold underlined statement, are you perhaps referring to an Immigrant Visa? It sounds like you entered the USA to activate your US PR status, and then went back to the UK to tie up loose ends.

Rene
Old Dec 12th 2013, 6:26 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

Yes you are correct, the visa had an expiration date. They are sending the green card in the coming months....by the way, what is a 'green card'? Is it's an actual card similar to a state DL?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:47 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are correct, the visa had an expiration date. They are sending the green card in the coming months....by the way, what is a 'green card'? Is it's an actual card similar to a state DL?
It is a card with your photo and A number on it. You are required to carry it with you at all times. You will need it a lot when you first get there because many things that you apply for will ask if you are a citizen or permanent resident. As a PR, you will need to give your A number.

I lived in Boulder for 22 years. Think it's been a bit chilly there lately!
Old Dec 12th 2013, 12:00 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

Sure was cold, in fact one of the coldest December weeks on record, was there for 6 days and didn't see the temp above -13 Celsius
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:34 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Were you bringing in some things you shouldn't?
... was nervous about the interview with customs...
Ah, I believe this was the immigration inspection, not the customs inspection.
... well no, need. Arrived at the counter to be taken to the office where I wa called over had fingerprint taken twice, signed a couple of times and that was that....welcome the the US of A ...

Got Google? The search phrase <sample green card> is quite effective.
... what is a 'green card'? Is it's an actual card similar to a state DL?
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 12th 2013 at 2:40 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

by the way, what is a 'green card'?
A "green card" is proof of your US PR status. You currently have proof of your US PR status in the form of a temp I-551 notation in your passport, valid for 1 year. The green card is the same thing, in a different format.

Is it's an actual card similar to a state DL?
Yes.

Rene
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually a green card is pink.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

For the current I-551, since 2010, there seems to be a pinkish band on the back, but the front is a white background with predominantly green overlay. Some blue in there also, and a multi-color circle immediately to the right of the photo.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Ruth16
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
For the current I-551, since 2010, there seems to be a pinkish band on the back, but the front is a white background with predominantly green overlay. Some blue in there also, and a multi-color circle immediately to the right of the photo.

Regards, JEff
My old ones used to have some holograms on there, too. Map of the US, as far as I remember. Still predominantly green in hue though, if a subtle shade.

Had to give 'em back though, when I became a septic.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:50 pm

I've seen them change colors over the years. My husband got his in 2005, and it was sort of beige.

Rene
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
My old ones used to have some holograms on there, too. Map of the US, as far as I remember. Still predominantly green in hue though, if a subtle shade.

Had to give 'em back though, when I became a septic.
The ones we got this year have each US states flag on there, with a picture of every president either side of a silver band with your photo, name DOB etc on the back - it is quite impressive and intricate! As well as being green I guess on the front.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Not any more - they used to be pink. They are green now. I had mine renewed in 2012. I'm on my third Green card now as I've lived here for 23 years. I suppose I really ought to think about getting US citizenship...............
Old Dec 13th 2013, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Not any more - they used to be pink. They are green now. I had mine renewed in 2012. I'm on my third Green card now as I've lived here for 23 years. I suppose I really ought to think about getting US citizenship...............
How much is it now for a citizenship , it was around $700 couple years ago
Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:27 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

How much is it now for a citizenship , it was around $700 couple years ago
It's $595 to file the application and $85 for biometrics. Filing fee to renew a green card is $365 plus $85 for biometrics. So it's only $230 more to apply for citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.